“Decent for one night”

Ranked #34 of 55 Hotels in Long Beach
San Diego, California
“Decent for one night”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The hotel is mediocre, nothing fancy but not a dump either. Check in was basic, the guy who checked me in was pleasant. My room was on the 3rd floor, as soon as I exited the elevator I could smell residual cigarette smoke throughout the hallway - as if at one time that was a smoking floor - but now it's not.

The room itself was decent, basic, and a good size. I did like the floors and decor - nice. I didn't use the kitchen except to make a pot of coffee in the morning. The only thing that turned me off about the room was the bathroom faucet, it had that green rust patina all over, and discolored. Also the tub drained slowly, the water was ankle level midway through my shower.

The following morning I went to check out the "breakfast" - don't except much, just some packaged breakfast bars, packages of oatmeal, a basket of apples and oranges, coffee, and tea.

Thankfully my stay was short, checked in at 9pm and was checked out at 8am. I don't think I would have liked it any longer than that.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Shandasb1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We recently participated in the Long Beach half marathon and needed a place to stay the night before the race. The objective was to get a little extra sleep/rest the morning of the race and avoid the commute to Long Beach. Unfortunately, we waited until the last minute and most hotels in downtown Long Beach were booked. We opted for something near the airport, as it isn't too far from downtown Long Beach.

We decided on Extended Stay America in Long Beach because they had rooms available, the reviews were great and the rate was quite affordable. We also noticed they had a kitchenette, which was perfect because we could make breakfast prior to the race.

Upon arrival, the check-in process was smooth and the staff was professional and courteous. The room seemed great when we walked in and dropped our stuff off. We noticed the fridge was off when we put our groceries in, so we turned it on and that was fine. Later I noticed some leaves on the carpet and even in the bathroom sink, which I thought was a bit weird, but they were just leaves...could have been much worse. We left for dinner and thought nothing of it.

Overnight we discovered the bed and pillows weren't quite comfortable and there was a woman a few doors down yelling at a man, so we tossed and turned all night. In the morning, we learned that the stovetop burners didn't quite work; it took about 30 minutes for the tap water to get to a lukewarm temperature. The coffee pot also didn't seem to work. Fortunately, we were able to eat other food we brought and complement it with the grab & go breakfast available in the lobby.

We weren’t able to secure late check-out (check-out at this establishment is 11am), so we basically packed our stuff up and left at 6am when we headed out for the race.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lissy G

Travelers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed here while searching for a new home in the area. I found it perfect for what I needed. Clean, courteous staff, small kitchenette, washer and dryer. They have a quick breakfast set up in the lobby with fresh fruit, oatmeal, breakfast bars, etc. just what you need if your in a hurry in the morning. My only complaint was that they need sliding doors to get into the lobby. Trying to get in and out through a heavy pull door with large luggage was awkward.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ET A
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This hotel is near the Long Beach airport and right off the 405 interstate; easy to get anywhere in the area from here.
Employees are nice and rooms are clean.
I only stay here a few days at a time, until I find a hotel for long term.
since I am on the road about 350 days a year, I want decent TV choices. this has just the basics. No history, A&E, food, NFL, speed, etc...these are the channels I watch.
if they upgrade the TV channels, This would probably be my home base when I'm in the area cause I love every thing else about it.

Room Tip: inside corner rooms are suites and larger than regular rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We needed a place that we could save a few bucks by cooking and eating in. That place is Extended Stay. This is a very affordable stay and the conditions of the room is a lot better than other Extended Stays I've been to. This place is close to the airport and the 405 freeway--so it's easy to travel. It even has a Breakfast to go ( consisting of granola/oatmeal bars, juice/tea/coffee, and fruits) I'll keep it short...
Positives: cost, cleanliness, friendly and accommodating staff(we must have called 5 times for various things ranging from utensils and activating the smoke alarm), close to airport, FREE wifi
Negatives: not much to do around that area--you need to drive or ride the bus into downtown or the beach, strangely, there are many cats off on the east side of the parking, and although we asked for a non-smoking room, throughout the day, our bathroom would smell vaguely of cigarettes. (I think it's a shared vent from the neighbors.) we kept the fan on all day.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Sundina
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Long Beach Airport, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed our grab-and-go breakfast and our free WiFi. As well, I am glad that you liked our hotel's location and your room. In regards to the smoke odor in your bathroom, I truly apologize and have our maintenance staff working to correct the issue as soon as possible.

Burlingame, California
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a week for business trip. The price was reasonable. The layout is functional and it's clean. The pros are the location is good if you need to stay around the Long Beach Airport. The kitchen in each room is convenient if you just want to buy take out and eat in the room after a long day. Staff are all very friendly and helpful. The room is very spacious with working desk, free wifi, and a small dining table. The cons are 1) the sound insulation in the rooms is not that good. I can hear clearly the toilet flushing, water splashing from showers and footsteps from upstairs. 2) Don't count on the breakfast because it's basically just coffee, muffins, and some instant oatmeal. The fruits are just apples and oranges. It's not really a hot breakfast with waffles, pancakes or sausages. 3) Room could smell if the previous visitors cooked in the room. There is still some smoke smell in my room although it should be a room with no smoking. I suggest that if you travel with a limited budget, this hotel will definitely fit your needs. If you have more bucks to pay for the travel expenses, you should pick one with more amenities such as a fitness room or in room dryer.

Overall, I get what I paid.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 3rd floor to avoid noises from the footsteps in the morning.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank travelparticle
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so glad that you liked your clean room, our hotel's location and our friendly staff. Still, I am sorry to hear that you encountered a couple of issues during your stay. Please know, our grab-and-go breakfast is a new feature, one which we are still fine tuning. As we do so, we will keep your feedback in mind. As for the slight odor in your room, since your stay our maintenance staff has corrected this and I am working with them to ensure it is not an issue in the future.

Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at LGB@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I went there on a business and pleasure trip and it was fantastic. Love the area, great staff and it is always clean and they are always willing to help in any way. I always stay there on all my trips and would go again with out my office. Love the place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank marcia f
Marcia - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am happy to hear that you found our staff to be great and always return to our hotel because of our clean property as well as comfortable atmosphere. As always. it was a true pleasure having you visit our hotel and we look forward to you doing so again in the future.