“don't go before the end of sept 2013” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)

Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)
Ranked #21 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“don't go before the end of sept 2013”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

This place is under some very loud and annoying renovations (jack hammer until 6pm); the staff knocked on our door twice during our stay without reason; the fitness room is not how it appears in the picture (has only 4 machines, and without cups for water or soap in the bathroom/sink); and they charge you $10 for parking a night when you can easily park in the street. Overall the rooms were nice, no complaints, but the negatives outweighed the positives, especially if you're paying full price.

Room Tip: anything away from the renovations - the rooms from 200-215; 300-315 and 400-415
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
serendipityhost, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, August 8, 2013
I apologize for any disturbances you endured during your stay. The construction does create some noise during the day, including jackhammers, so again I apologize. We are aware of the inconveniences of our guests are experiencing as a result of the renovation. There are a few parking places out front but the city has put restrictions on the days and time of day so 24/7 parking is not available. During the renovations we are using our fitness area as the front desk and we are using a room as the temporary fitness center which limits the number of machines, so I apologize for the inconvenience. I have spoken to our Head of Housekeeping about the soap and cups in the exercise room and she has taken steps to monitor this more closely so all our guests have cups, soap and towels. Thank you for choosing to stay with us during the renovations and thank you for your feedback we want to minimize the impact of the renovations on all of guests and your feedback will assist in revising our policies and procedures to meet our guests’ needs during this extreme makeover.

Sharon B.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Temecula, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband, 18 year old son and I booked this hotel for 3 nights of pleasure and a bit of business. We pre-paid and 2 breakfasts were included in the deal. We were aware there were renovations when we booked this trip. When we arrived it was late on a Thursday night. Although there is a free shuttle within a 3 mile radius, we did not know the area. The restaurant and bar are under renovation so we settled for 1 of 2 places offered to delivery food. We thought we would take in a movie and eat in. Unfortunately this hotel does not offer movies for a fee.

Our son settled in to do some studying and the internet was terrible. He wanted to view YouTube videos and the server could not handle this. The next morning, my son and husband took off and I tried to work in the room. Unfortunately the construction was just below our room with a jack hammer being used all day long.

The workout room is a room. The equipment is nice, however, very limited.

When we went down for breakfast on the 2nd and 3rd day, we were told we owed the tax on the two breakfast coupons. This was very frustrating as you assume that is included in the coupon and wallets were left in the room. My son loved the breakfast offered. My husband and I felt it could use a bit more variety.

The rooms were basically clean and look like the pictures on the website. When the room was finally cleaned late afternoon, on the first day, the bathroom shampoo, conditioner and lotion were not replenished.

The internet was a problem the entire stay. At one point the front desk had the IT person call my son who is very versed in computers and internet. He was told that the amount of MB available on the server for the entire hotel is, in our opinion, insufficient to support all of the rooms.

Finally on our last day, we requested to be moved not wanting to listen to the jack hammer all day again. (they did say on their website that renovation efforts would happen on Saturday) We were moved to the top floor on the other end of the hotel. Unfortunately when we arrived to the room there was not a refrigerator in the cabinet. We requested a refrigerator with the front desk. After several hours we brought our food to the front desk and they put it in their refrigerator. We never received the refrigerator in the room.

If you are familiar with the area and are out and about a lot, perhaps this hotel will work for you. It was a terrible experience for what we expected. I do have to say, everyone of the staff were professional and pleasant. Adrian, in particular, was very helpful and understanding of our frustration.

1 Thank JodiLP
serendipityhost, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, August 5, 2013
I apologize for the inconvenience of the construction. We are having issues with the internet and we are working with our carrier and provider to understand why this is happening. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced.Thank you for mentioning Adrian and the staff. It is our goal to do everything possible to minimize the impact of the renovations on our guests. Our guests and the staff are looking forward to the day when we are no longer under renovations and our great guest service is the icing on the cake.

Travelers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

Oroville, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel entrance was a little confusing because everything was torn apart! At check in, the front desk agent said my room was upgraded, but when I got to the room the room seemed like a standard room. The beds were smaller than expected. I thought I booked two queen sized, but probably my error. Outside our window was rundown neighborhood where dogs yipped every time someone walked by. Luckily no one was out and about during night time. Our toilet flooded over night all into the sink area and near the front door.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, August 2, 2013
We are under construction and our hotel is located in an urban area which includes residential neighborshoods. I am sorry you had trouble with the toilet. We do not have queen beds only doubles and they are smaller. Our upgraded rooms include a microwave and refrigerator but the size is similar. Thank you for taking time to give us an opportunity to respond. I apologize for the confusion of the construction we are having to be more creative and we truly appreciate choosing to stay with us during this not so marveleous time.

silver spring
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed 4 nights with family of 4. The front desk staff was friendly and very helpful. But the hotel undergoes renovation. The day we got there they just reopened the pool. The Wi-Fi reception was terrible. it was weak and kept dropping signal. Even after we called the IT service that maintain the Wi-Fi, the connection did not improve. I had to go to the business center to use the internet.

Room Tip: make sure you call the hotel to ask for a quieter room. The fourth floor underwent renovation while...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I apologize for the internet. Since construction we have had ongoing issues. Charter has been notified as well as our IT service. Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us during renovations. The 4th floor is complete and we are hoping for mid Sept completion for all of the remaining common areas. I appreciate you mentioning the staff they love our guests and we are all working to make the inconveniences of the renovations as minimal as possible. I hope you will have the opportunity to stay with us once our renovatons are complete.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has the basic stuff that is needed for the visitors, but the carpets of both the rooms and the halls and lobby were all very dirty looking ( or stained) perhaps from the renovation it's undergoing. Also, although they offer free WiFi all around the hotel area, you have to re-login( accepti g thei contract terms and conditions) every time that you turn off your phone and turn it back on, which was a big hassle. The breakfast buffet is also barely enough in terms of variety, to have a decent meal, and they offer exactly the same food each day. Finally, we also had to take our room key cards to have them re-configured several times since they would stop opening the room doors ( and no, we were not keeping them next to our phones which causes that to happen). Other than that,like I already mentioned, the basic hotel services were available, but not with the same quality that Holiday Inn usually offers.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, July 24, 2013
I know how annoying trouble with your keys can be. I apologize we were not able to resolve this issue during your stay. I have spoke with our maintenance department and we have spoken to our lock vendor to resolve the problem . Part of the renovations includes replacing the carpet, the existing carpet is getting beat up even more during the construction, especially the elevators. I appreciate the feedback on the breakfast, with the restaurant closed we are using our meeting space for breakfast and the space limits our options we do change some of the items daily but obviously we need to do more. I have discussed this with the staff and we are looking at other options. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us during our renovatons. We will have all new common areas, restaurant and meeting rooms and I hope you will give an opportunity to be of service in the future.

Sharon B
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

For the money u sepnd,dont wxpect much from this hotel. It is under construction but the hotel staff was friendly.rooms were spacious and clean and hotel king room has fridge and microwave. It is noisy here but only because no carpet in flooring,everything echoes. Not sure if i would stay here again,sucks parking is $10,or ur car will get towed.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, July 22, 2013
I appreciate you mentioning our staff and the spacious, clean rooms. I understand the construction is an inconvenience for our guests and I appreciate you staying with us under these circumstances. I hope you will change your mind and give an opportunity to make amends for the noise from the missing carpet. We will eventually have all the renovations complete and the noise will no longer be an issue.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Unfortunately my stay was not a great experience. I couldn't use the pool, the remodeling made my stay very unpleasant. But the customer service was great specially Dylan . He was great! Great attitude, very happy chic, very attentive!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Construction does impact the areas of renovation and I apologize for the inconvienience. The pool is open again but the hallways, restaurant and lobbby are still being renovated. I appreciate your choosing to stay with us during these challenging times. Thank you for mentioning Dylan he loves our guests and it shows. I will pass your kind words onto him. I hope you will have the opportunity to stay with us again when the construction is complete and we have all new restaurant, lobby and common spaces.

Warm regards,