“Will there be a charge for that, too?” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)

Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)
Ranked #21 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Will there be a charge for that, too?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I booked this hotel through an opaque discount booking site. I was pleased that it offered free parking, and a shuttle to nearby Long Beach attractions.

When I checked in, the hotel was undergoing a severe remodel. The lobby was tiny, and the front desk systems were set up on small tables with tablecloths. But, the staff was relatively friendly, and I was able to check in.

Then, I found out, no more free parking. The hotel now wants $10/night. I had to print a copy of my reservation from the booking site to get them to waive the charge. They did allow me to do this in their business center. (The booking site has been notified of this.)

I requested a remodeled room, which I got, but upon stepping into the bathroom, noted no shower curtain. I called to the front desk to inquire whether the shower curtain was an additional charge. They said no, and sent someone to install one for me.

The next morning, I sampled their $10 (additional) buffet breakfast. It was tolerable, but not an excellent value, and tucked around and hidden in the basement down a back stairwell. Perhaps this is just during the remodel.

Then I headed to use the shuttle, and was quickly taken to my destination.

When I attempted to return to the hotel, I was told 5 different times over the phone that the shuttle would pick me up in "5 minutes or less", but I waited over 2 hours for the shuttle to actually arrive, after multiple phone calls.

That Saturday night, loud groups of younger partiers seemed to be noisy in the hallways and slamming their room doors until 3 and 4 in the morning. A security guard was seen patrolling, but not doing anything to quiet the partiers.

While staff seemed relatively friendly, this was not a great overall experience.

Room Tip: Ask for remodeled room, overlooking pool.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Geof G
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Wow we dropped the ball. I have never known the shuttle to take 2 hours for a pick up. I would love some additional feedback from you so I can determine how our process and procedures were so severly ignored.

We uploaded the parking fee info to all sites on April 1 which gave them 30 days notice and we continue to check sites to ensure they are in compliance. If one is missed we will be happy to waive the fee.

I appreciate the feedback on the breakfast since the restaurant is closed for renovations, we are having to use the meeting space and I will look at what else we can do to improve the selection to create more value for our guests. Again thank you for taking time to give us feedback.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed here in Oct, had a good happy hour, fabulous dinner, great breakfast, pleasant staff, etc. Talked relatives into staying here as we were so pleased with first visit, however, this time things were not so great as none of us were told about the renovation when reservations were made. Hotel staff (other than Adrienne) were basically unfriendly and the fact that we were not advised ahead of time about the renovation put us all in a bad spot. Had we been advised ahead of time, we would obviously have made other arrangements, and perhaps this is the exact reason why no one mentioned it to us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for letting me know you have concerns. We want everyone to know we are under renovations. It serves no purpose for us to have unhappy guests. If you made your reservation before March we did not have a start date. As soon as we got word on the possible start date we posted it to our Global Data System and Hotel Content Manager which feeds all of our internal reservations and third party sites. It is part of our check in process to let all guests know that our common areas including the restaurant are under renovations. Upon arrival if you were not aware of the renovations the first question we want to answer is why so we can make sure the information is corrected with whatever site you booked through. In addition we want every guest to know we would be happy to make a reservation at another hotel. Thank you for acknowledging Adrian, although my staff is almost the same as last October, I apologize if anyone failed to make you feel welcome. Renovations are a challenge for our guests and our staff so again I want everyone to know that you are our first priority. Without you we have no need to renovate. So I hope you will come back to visit us in the fall when the renovations are scheduled to be completed. Also I would appreciate your feedback on when and where you made your reservations so I can insure the correct info is being given to all my guests.

Travelers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

Sacramento, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two nights while I enjoyed myself at the festible a week or so ago. The room was very clean, staff very helpful and yes there was contruction going on that didn't bother me in the least. Parking was free... and they even had a shulttle service. Didn't get to try the food but I'm sure it was good too! The neighborhood did seem a bit low, however I walked from the hotel to the downtown area with no problems on several occasions. Yes I will be staying here agian next year!
Date of stay May 18th & 19th

Room Tip: The deluxe room was pretty nice!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank James F
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Renovations can be inconvenient for our guest's so thank you again for choosing to stay with us. The staff and I sincerely want to make everyone's experience as pleasant as possible. We truly appreciate everyone who chooses to stay with us during these challenging times.Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again next year!

Warm regards,
seattle, wa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on our way to Catalina. The staff did not tell us the hotel restaurant and bar were under construction so that was a surprise. The hotel is not in the best part of town so walking out to eat at night seemed a really bad idea. We wanted a wine opener and the staff could not provide this basic thing. Maids left the coffee pot on and my husband burned his finger moving it. Very noisy people in the hall at 2AM, A/C did not work properly, lights out in bathroom, breakfast just marginal in present situation. Rooms are OK but more expensive than they should be. Staff just keep saying I'm sorry - Probably best to avoid this particular hotel at least till the remodel if finished.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, May 28, 2013
The common areas including the restaurant were due for an upgrade and unfortunately this is an inconvience for our guests. Our shuttle would have been happy to take you to dinner. We are located just blocks away from the water front and the Pine Street area all of which have a tremedous selection of restaurants. We do have wine openers when the restaurant is not under renovations but that section is blocked by the contructions site. I could have sent the shuttle to get you one. While under construction we can only offer a buffet breakfast which I know can be disappointing if you want a made to order breakfast. Thank you for your feedback on the AC my staff has been alerted of your concerens and we have taken measures to insure guests are not inconvenienced by maintenance issues. I hope you will come back when the renovations are complete.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

First, thanks to a phenomenal staff! There was nothing this dedicated staff wouldn't do to enhance their customer service. The front desk smiled directly at me as I walked in the door, the maids cheerfully greeted me in the hall, and everyone was professional, courteous and helpful. Many even remembered my name! Impressive. The location was perfect, most places I wanted to go were walking distance, and for those places that were too far to walk, their shuttle was available. The rooms had all the amenities necessary for a comfortable stay. A downside is that the TV channels don't include the Bravo, Cooking, Food Network, and HGTV channels. However, the service made up for my missing my favorite channels. I would DEFINITELY stay here again. Awesome customer service by everyone, including Frank, Ivan, Dylan, Janet, Adrian, Yvette, Chris, Wendy, Denise, Reggie, Luis, and everyone else whose name I didn't catch. Thanks to all from Charlie in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Room Tip: I would suggest getting a pool view, the hospital next door has lots of ambulance activity.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Charlie, Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. Our staff is awesome. They truly enjoy what they do and it shows. I apologize for the inadequate channel selection, we are working on changing carriers to geta better selection and hope to have that implemented soon. I hope you will come back and see us when our renovatons are completed. Again thank you so much for choosing to stay with us.

Petoskey, Michigan, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

The staff here goes above and beyond to help...it's not their fault but this hotel is currently under reconstruction and it desperately needs it. Pass on this one for now. $144 a night for a so-so room in a noisy, dusty hotel is NO bargain.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank PetoskeyKendal
Thank you for acknowledging our great staff. Renovations are a challenge for our guests and we apologize for the dust. Unfortunately the dust and noise are a necessary part of construction. We do limit it to business hours of 9-5 when most of our guests are out of the hotel and each phase has less noise and dust. So I hope you will come back and let us wow you with the new restaurant, lobby, hallways and meeting spaces.. Thank you again for staying iwth us.

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

My overall impression is good.

Unfortunately there were some details that did not work to my satisfaction, but all in all I was content. I chose the hotel even though it was a little more expensive than other (maybe not so great) hotels you can get in the area, but I wanted to be able to trust the brand. The rooms were good as far as the bed and the quality of the pillows go. I slept incredibly well! :-)
If you stay there make sure you get a room with pool view, for the first few nights the noise of the ambulance of the closeby hospital didn't let me sleep very good. Unfortunately after I had to move (I wasn't so happy about that, especially given the fact that they wanted to charge me more even though a King Size room is more upgraded than 2 double beds...) to a room with pool view, there were ants in my room. I don't know where they came from for I found the rest of the property very clean, except that my first room 438 was cleaner than the second room 421. Being on the 4th floor was great for the view tho. Choose pool view if you can, it's marvellous, nice sunsets.
The pool was clean too, I used both the pool for swimming and the hot tub for relaxation.
All the staff were very friendly, always smiling and helpful. I was a bit irritated that I had to pay for tax for breakfast, but I just forgot Cali was like that. Breakfast and dinner at the restaurant were excellent though, I usuall had pancakes and eggs or the fruit plate (lovely and healthy choice) with cotage cheese or oatmeal. The restaurant staff too was always friendly. For dinner I had salmon ceasar salad and the pesto pasta, both was delicious. The kid always enjoyed the (free!) kids meals too. I didn't use the gym but always saw someone clean it so if I had more time I would have definitely tried that too. The lobby is very nice too. Unfortunately the internet connection didn't work anymore after my move and the patient guy on the helpline (external) didn't fix that neither. Other than that I was happy and if it weren't for those issues I'd definitely stay there again. There's a Burger Kind and a laundry mat, a Subways, little malls (plazas) and Snoop Doog's old school nearby :-) and a lutheranian church. It's not far from the bus and train station and from the beautiful beach area, the Heliport and Quuen Mary neither. Definitely recommandable! Ladeis: Kim's nail salon by the ANaheim Metro Blue Line stop is awesome! :-)
Starbucks and CVS are in walking distance at 5th Street too.

Room Tip: Pool view on 4th floor!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to share your experience at our Holiday Inn. I apologize your internet connection was not as promised. We just upgraded and now have superb speeds but I understand a portal went out during your stay so again I apologize. The ants apparently started a new colony in one of the Palm trees outside your window and we have since treated the source so no more ants. It is a top priority for us to provide what we promise so thank you for the information it allowed us to correct the issues you encounter. I am happy our staff was friendly and you enjoyed the restaurant, pool and hot tub. The hotel is close to most of the Long Beach attractions and our courtesy shuttle will take you anywhere within a 3 miles radius. We are renovating all of our common areas including the restaurant and lobby so I hope you have a chance to stay with us after it is done later this summer.

Sharon Bateman