“You must try the restaurant”

Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)
Ranked #21 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
Bronx
“You must try the restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I recently stayed at this property on a business trip. The location is not typical for a Holiday Inn. Upon checking in there were two vagrants giving the front desk clerk a hard time as they were being tossed out by security. I normally would have left and went elsewhere but it was late. The property had free secure parking. The lobby was clean and you pass the gym upon entering and it was well maintained. So I started to feel like maybe this isn't so bad. I then was greeted by the front desk and they apologized and were warm and friendly. The room was clean but there is no view so I didn't look out the window a second time as it was a back alley but quiet. The room had everything I needed. So in the morning after a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed in a quiet location I went down for coffee. There is a restaurant on site and they had out a menu board for an omelette for $7.50 which is cheap compared to NY standards where I am from, so I decided to have a omelette and it was the best ever. The omelette was fluffy and sitting over bacon and diced turkey the topped was garnished with half an avocado spread out. Huge Rye bread slices and home fries. The service was great and they give you a full pot of coffee with a to go cup if you don't finish. Give this place a try don't let the neighborhood fool you or give the hotel a bad rap.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MichaelBronx
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, February 15, 2013
I will pass onto the staff your many kudos. It is so gratifying to know that our good food, comfortable bed and warm hearts allowed us to exceed your expectations. Our location is in an urban downtown area and it can be a challenge but we love our hotel and want to provide a "great" experience for all of our guests. Thank you for letting us know we suceeded and I hope you will come back soon.

Sharon Bateman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Stockton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

we stayed here while visiting long beach to go on a cruse to mexico good service they took us to eat dinner and picked us up and picked us up from the amtrack the breakfast was good and they droped us at the cruise ship the rooms were large and the beds were comfortable all good there they will take you any where you want to go

Room Tip: call for a ride to the hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. We love to heae from our guests and are so glad we met your expectations. It soulds like you had a great time on your cruise too. Our complimentary shuttle is a great amenitiy and our guests love it.

Thank you again for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown Long Beach.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

We booked 2 rooms at this hotel due to the "stay and cruise" package. I loved the idea of parking and having a shuttle to and from the port. However, I wish I would have stayed somewhere else and just paid for parking.
The day of our arrival I called to confirm we had 2 rooms that joined. I was told it was confirmed, but 1 hour later when we arrived we were told it wasn't possible. After much arguing and waiting with 4 kids in the lobby for over 30 minutes, we got the rooms. We went in and one room hadn't been cleaned! We waited some more. Late that night the tolliet flooded! It was noisey all night. The shuttle to the cruise port is actually 2 vans, each carrying 6-9 people. We waited over an hour to get a ride. In hindsight, my husband should have dropped us off, came back to park and took a taxi back down to the port.
Honestly, it was one of the worst experiences we have had! I should have read through the reviews better. I just felt I should share, and save others the same experience.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank SeenManyThings
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I apologize. Obviously we dropped the ball on more than one issue. This is not the experience we want any of guests to have when they stay with us. I would be happy to make amends if you contact me direct. Unfortunately, our computer system and server were down for almost 24 hours during your stay, we take full responsibility for not being better prepared when our computer system went down. Thank you so much for taking time to give us your feedback. We value all our guests’ communications.

Travelers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I should have looked for a new Hotel as soon as the person at the front desk commented about the Band (marched in the Rose Bowl Parade) from the Far East that was staying at the Hotel and how crazy it had been. It was like I was staying in the middle of a Soriety Party.......doors slammin, people running up and down the halls and the staff had no clue how to handle the situation.....I complained and begged that they send somebody up to the 3rd floor just to slow the people down running in the hall......but it was to no avail...... and for the inconveniece of my 3 hrs sleep was free breakfast..........Holiday Inn $150....Free Breakfast (cogs)......$1.50........ If you are looking for a place to stay, my advice is stay away from here the Management hasn't put the employees in a position that they know how, or are willing to take care of their guest.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, January 24, 2013
I am sorry we did not compensate you appropriately; my entire staff is empowered to offer the appropriate compensation for any inconvenience or missteps on our part. Groups are sometimes problematic especially youth groups. We have taken additional steps for the future to ensure our guests do not suffer the same experience. So please accept our sincere apology and know we take responsibility for not providing you the best possible Holiday Inn experience. I have contacted you direct and hope to hear from you soon so we make amends for your experience.

Croydon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

A big plus about this hotel is the free parking. It seems like most hotels in the LA/Orange County area charge for parking, but here, it's included. The room was decent and I got one with a microwave, and a fridge. Free internet is included and it worked pretty well. The staff were super friendly. I had a problem with the flat screen TV, as it froze and none of the controls worked. When I informed the front desk, they sent someone up fairly quickly. He sorted it out by unplugging the TV and plugging it back in again. This hard boot seemed to unfreeze it. It happened 2 more times during my 3 day stay, but I was able to fix it myself the second and third times. I ate 2 breakfasts and one dinner at the hotel restaurant. The food was okay and resonably priced. The waitresses were very pleasent and friendly. The hotel is easy to get to. From the I 405 Freeway, get off at Atlantic Avenue and head south. It's a little way south of the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH). I see other reviewers commenting on the bad neighborhood. I agree, but if you're driving, it's not a problem. There were some dodgy looking characters hanging around in front of the hotel a couple of nights, but I just drove into the underground car park and took the elevator to my floor. No need to come into contact with these characters, unless you want to. My room was clean and, overall, I was satisfied.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, January 7, 2013
I do apologize for the TV we are in the process of upgrading our system which will take care of these types of issues. So thank you for your patience. Thank you for acknowleding the contribution of our staff in both the restaurant and the hotel. I am happy your were satisfied and hope we can be of service to you again.

Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently stayed here for a weekend in the Long Beach area and my stay was filled with both pros and cons.
PROS: Hotel is very clean, rooms are recently renovated and modern, ac works very well, furnishings are nice, and the shower is great, and there is free internet and parking.
CONS: Staff is slow and not overly friendly, and the hotel is not in the best part of Long Beach. Also, housekeeping knocked on our door at 8 45 and 9 30 am, when we had arranged for late check out. (Normal check out is not until 11).
When I spoke to management about this complaint, the hotel general manager herself contacted me and addressed this concern. She was very friendly and professional and compensated for their errors.
So to sum it all up, the stay was pleasant, except for a few small details BUT management did an excellent job at correcting these details and following up with me. So I would stay here again in the future in hopes of them doing a bit of a better job.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for giving me an opportunity to address your concerns. As I indicated in our conversation, our guest’s feedback is priceless. I have addressed your concerns with our staff and I am confident the staff understands the importance of communicating our guest’s requests to every department. I look forward to having you as our guest in the future and making your next stay with us a great experience.

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Nice friendly staff were very cordial and easy to work with. Let me check in 2 hours early into a nice clean room. Underground parking was a big plus as well for security. Not a single problem and the pool view was nice. Internet was fast and reliable as well . Nice to have a microwave and mini fridge in the room with a good size bath room.

Room Tip: Double Rooms are very comfortable and well decorated.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, December 7, 2012
It is so great to know we are hitting the mark for our guests. I know you have alot of hotels to choose from so thank you for choosing to stay with the Holiday Inn Downtown Long Beach. I truly appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I will pass your praise onto the staff.

Warm Regards,