“Renovations complete” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Renovations complete”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I'm happy to report the renovations appear to be complete, and the spacious rooms and lobby updated nicely. Linens and towels in the room were clean and new. The bath had room to move (no make-up mirror but there is a bath tub) with THANN amenities instead of the old Bath & Body Works stuff. The hotel has a free shuttle that starts at 6 am (note that the LGB airport actually doesn't let flights leave before seven AM even though they are scheduled to depart before then). Security was a breeze and even has TSA-Pre if you are in that program.

The front desk wasn't staff at 5:30 am when I had to check out (I had one of those early flights and took a $6 cab ride to the terminal), but there is a phone to call for assistance.

Overall, for staying at the airport the night before an early flight, it was perfectly fine.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Art R, Director of Sales at Long Beach Marriott, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Yes, our renovations are finally complete and based on the feedback we have received so far, our guests are loving it.

Our shuttle service to Long Beach Airport starts at 5:45 a.m. since the flights leave after 7:00 a.m. The Airport is efficient and small enough that you can get through TSA in less than 10 minutes at the most.

We look forward to seeing back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Arrived Saturday afternoon, parking was not much of a hassle coming in, saw the renovation right away. Was a little hard to find the entrance due to the renovation but nonetheless was able to find it. Checked in with no hassle either. Asked for a room that was at the highest, got the 6th floor. Finding the elevator was no problem, saw a lot more of the renovation covers near the elevators. When to our room, very clean and nice, love the bathroom and shower head. Girlfriend told me in the morning it took a while for the water to get hot. Our window view was towards the airstrip landing for the long beach airport, very awesome! They have a starbucks here so loved that. Only thing about the room was the windows was screwed shut.....did not understand that (maybe because of the airplanes taking off). Getting back late at night from going out, there was no parking at all!!! The weekend that we stayed was actually the long beach marathon so that would explain it since it was sold out at our hotel. Checked out Monday afternoon with no issues. Would come back here for something near long beach!

Room Tip: Choose a higher room to get a view of the airstrip.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback and your patience while we improve ourselves. I am proud to say that we have completed the renovation of our Great Room lobby area. Our modern decor and facilities will impress you.

We look forward to seeing you back in the very near future.
Bakersfield, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I've stayed in many Marriott hotels before and this one was okay. They are going through a renovation so finding the location to check in was a bit confusing but understandable. Our room was nice but it just felt "wet". When walking barefoot on the carpet is felt damp but I think it was just cold. The bathrooms aren't ventilated very well and every inch would be covered in condensation after showering. It felt like a damp stay and I didn't particularly like that. Their breakfast buffet is wonderful and service was great. The ladies there were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Art R, Director of Sales at Long Beach Marriott, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
We appreciate your feedback.
We have almost completed the renovation of our lobby area. We are just finishing some details and should be finally finished this weekend. I have forwarded your comments to our Director of Services to see if something can be done with the dampness after showering.
Thank you very much.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment so the pedestrian flow in the common areas on the first flow is suffering a few challenges until the refurb is finished.
The gym is the best that I have ever seen at any hotel, thirteen pieces of cardio equipment,(overlooking the indoor pool), brand new, plus various Star Trac machines, brand new, and free weights (50lb max)
Swiss balls have been intelligently stored on an overhead rack to keep them off the gym floor.
Whoever designed and equipped this gym did an excellent job.
Other hotels please take note.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Art R, Director of Sales at Long Beach Marriott, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for your review.
We have 3 more weeks of renovation and the NEW lobby area should be available on October 18th. We appreciate you kind understanding and we look forward to seeing you back.
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Wow; what to say; why did we leave in an hour? First, the hotel is going through a major renovation (which was not mentioned on the web page) and they still charge $239.00 per night. Reception is in a hallway and you have to zigzag around the parking lot to get there. Once you check in its around more construction to get to the elevators. Honestly, I could have lived with this and the ridiculous price, since we checked in at 8PM and were going to leave at 7:00AM. For us it was location, location, location. At least the fitness center was new.

Now, why the Oy Vey? The carpet in the room was stained in multiple places and torn. I went to sit in the desk chair and felt like I was going to fall through, and only a few of the buttons on the TV remote worked. There was clearly no quality control for housekeeping. Honestly, I didn't want to try the bed after I saw the sorry condition of the room. The bathroom was dated as well.

When I called downstairs to complain, the woman at the front desk said they could not discount, but if we wanted, we could checkout without a penalty. For the record, she was very pleasant and professional. She apologized and made the checkout process very simple.

Coincidently, we checked into the Renaissance Hotel (a Marriot property) and it was fine. We then stayed at the Marriott in San Diego and it was great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lee C
Art R, Director of Sales at Long Beach Marriott, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have encountered while we try to update and improve the hotel. The renovation of our lobby area will be completed on Thursday, October 17, 2013. By then, our Starbucks Coffee & Lounge will be updated and expanded. The front desk and staff will be more interactive with the guests with our new registration desk/station. Also, our lobby area will be more inviting for guests to greet their friends. Unfortunately, this is a "growing pain" for our hotel. We try to compensate with our friendly and service oriented Associates.
Incidentally, our renovation is posted in our website, all 3rd party reservation tools and travel agency systems.
Thank you very much for the opportunity to respond to your comments.
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

This location is an ideal location for me in terms of visits to my companies US Offices so for me it hits the mark just for that alone.

In terms of hotel itself. It is currently under renovation and can use it. Lobby being worked on and I hope the rooms are next. Staff is super nice, friendly and helpful. Acknowledged my status and no upgrades were available at time to visit. Parking is plentiful and easy to navigate.

Room are a touch out of date but beds comfortable, workspace with plenty of lighting, bathrooms are a nice size and overall rooms are clean.

Gym was excellent and pools looked inviting but no jacuzzi. Plenty of cardio gear, dumbells and a few machines allow you to work the entire body easily.

Had a soup and desert in restaurant and both were exceptional. Service was great.

Executive lounge was nice, snacks at night and light breakfast in morning, staff very nice here as well. View of runway at LGB.

All in all, 2 stays within a few month's and will be back. Looking forward to the updates.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Art R, Director of Sales at Long Beach Marriott, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

We are looking forward to seeing you once again in your next trip. We hope the renovation of the lobby would be complete by then. We expect the completion by mid-October, 2013. I am sure you will be happy with the "new look".

Huntington Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I'm an Elite member, staying in Marriott hotels all over the world. This is one of the worst. They have been updating the lobby for literally MONTHS but there are other things needing fixing more. The rooms are a bit worn with dirty carpets and the box spring covers look none too clean. The wireless Internet connection is a joke. It cuts off every minute or so and requires one to keep logging in. I have stayed in different rooms in this hotel and it is the same in each. I was unable to connect at all in the restaurant. The food is passable but SALTY. The best item I had was the tortilla soup which was delicious.

My biggest complaint is the air conditioning. In my room it was BLASTING no matter what button I pushed. I called down to the front desk to ask how to turn the thing off, as there is no OFF button. The desk insisted they could not tell me how to turn it off and would have to send an engineer up to adjust it. What???? It was the middle of the night so I said I would defer that until the a.m. Big mistake. I woke up sick and missed a big dinner and spent most of the day in bed. Oh, the "adjustment"? The engineer said it was the main unit, not mine, and showed me that by setting the button to ECONOMY, the air will eventually shut off. Why the desk did not tell me this I do not know. But I would like to thank the LB Airport Marriott for ruining my weekend in town.

This is the most convenient hotel for my Long Beach travel purposes but I am going to investigate other options for my stay in 2 weeks.

My positive comment is that the service is EXCELLENT and the workers try so hard with what Marriott has provided them.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor NOT over Corrigans which is open late at least on weekends. Ask for a room wher...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback.
Unfortunately, our renovation is going through phases with the restaurant being completed last month and the lobby area should be done by mid-October. We are addressing your comments by discussing them with the appropriate Departments to prevent future problems and concerns.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have encountered.