“Oy Vey”

Ranked #17 of 55 Hotels in Long Beach
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
“Oy Vey”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Wow; what to say; why did we leave in an hour? First, the hotel is going through a major renovation (which was not mentioned on the web page) and they still charge $239.00 per night. Reception is in a hallway and you have to zigzag around the parking lot to get there. Once you check in its around more construction to get to the elevators. Honestly, I could have lived with this and the ridiculous price, since we checked in at 8PM and were going to leave at 7:00AM. For us it was location, location, location. At least the fitness center was new.

Now, why the Oy Vey? The carpet in the room was stained in multiple places and torn. I went to sit in the desk chair and felt like I was going to fall through, and only a few of the buttons on the TV remote worked. There was clearly no quality control for housekeeping. Honestly, I didn't want to try the bed after I saw the sorry condition of the room. The bathroom was dated as well.

When I called downstairs to complain, the woman at the front desk said they could not discount, but if we wanted, we could checkout without a penalty. For the record, she was very pleasant and professional. She apologized and made the checkout process very simple.

Coincidently, we checked into the Renaissance Hotel (a Marriot property) and it was fine. We then stayed at the Marriott in San Diego and it was great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lee C
Art R, Director of Sales at Long Beach Marriott, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have encountered while we try to update and improve the hotel. The renovation of our lobby area will be completed on Thursday, October 17, 2013. By then, our Starbucks Coffee & Lounge will be updated and expanded. The front desk and staff will be more interactive with the guests with our new registration desk/station. Also, our lobby area will be more inviting for guests to greet their friends. Unfortunately, this is a "growing pain" for our hotel. We try to compensate with our friendly and service oriented Associates.
Incidentally, our renovation is posted in our website, all 3rd party reservation tools and travel agency systems.
Thank you very much for the opportunity to respond to your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Turkish first
NJ
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This location is an ideal location for me in terms of visits to my companies US Offices so for me it hits the mark just for that alone.

In terms of hotel itself. It is currently under renovation and can use it. Lobby being worked on and I hope the rooms are next. Staff is super nice, friendly and helpful. Acknowledged my status and no upgrades were available at time to visit. Parking is plentiful and easy to navigate.

Room are a touch out of date but beds comfortable, workspace with plenty of lighting, bathrooms are a nice size and overall rooms are clean.

Gym was excellent and pools looked inviting but no jacuzzi. Plenty of cardio gear, dumbells and a few machines allow you to work the entire body easily.

Had a soup and desert in restaurant and both were exceptional. Service was great.

Executive lounge was nice, snacks at night and light breakfast in morning, staff very nice here as well. View of runway at LGB.

All in all, 2 stays within a few month's and will be back. Looking forward to the updates.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Art R, Director of Sales at Long Beach Marriott, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

We are looking forward to seeing you once again in your next trip. We hope the renovation of the lobby would be complete by then. We expect the completion by mid-October, 2013. I am sure you will be happy with the "new look".

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I'm an Elite member, staying in Marriott hotels all over the world. This is one of the worst. They have been updating the lobby for literally MONTHS but there are other things needing fixing more. The rooms are a bit worn with dirty carpets and the box spring covers look none too clean. The wireless Internet connection is a joke. It cuts off every minute or so and requires one to keep logging in. I have stayed in different rooms in this hotel and it is the same in each. I was unable to connect at all in the restaurant. The food is passable but SALTY. The best item I had was the tortilla soup which was delicious.

My biggest complaint is the air conditioning. In my room it was BLASTING no matter what button I pushed. I called down to the front desk to ask how to turn the thing off, as there is no OFF button. The desk insisted they could not tell me how to turn it off and would have to send an engineer up to adjust it. What???? It was the middle of the night so I said I would defer that until the a.m. Big mistake. I woke up sick and missed a big dinner and spent most of the day in bed. Oh, the "adjustment"? The engineer said it was the main unit, not mine, and showed me that by setting the button to ECONOMY, the air will eventually shut off. Why the desk did not tell me this I do not know. But I would like to thank the LB Airport Marriott for ruining my weekend in town.

This is the most convenient hotel for my Long Beach travel purposes but I am going to investigate other options for my stay in 2 weeks.

My positive comment is that the service is EXCELLENT and the workers try so hard with what Marriott has provided them.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor NOT over Corrigans which is open late at least on weekends. Ask for a room wher...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback.
Unfortunately, our renovation is going through phases with the restaurant being completed last month and the lobby area should be done by mid-October. We are addressing your comments by discussing them with the appropriate Departments to prevent future problems and concerns.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have encountered.
El Segundo, California
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We enjoyed our stay. the room was perfect. The staff was excellent. I gave it a rating of 4 because construction is going on. Could not use the lobby. But when it is done it will be nice. When I come back Ill raise it to a 5.

Room Tip: Yes, two pools. indoor and outdoor pools. the water was warm. Swim year round. the food was perfec...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CRthestar
Art R, Director of Sales at Long Beach Marriott, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

We are striving to finish the renovation of our lobby as soon as possible. We should be able to complete it by mid-October. We hope to see you back then.

Marrakech, Morocco
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I have been here 23 years ago when the hotel was brandnew. Now, this time I was very dissapointed. I arrived from europe, and ask for a adapter....not available. I ask for money change.....not in this hotel!

The pillows and duvet had a bad smell after old feathers. But if you think thats it....ohhh no! They do construction work in the lobby and it is so noise that you like to escape.

Finaly on my last day I could not get a fresh breakfast because the electricity was not working. In the afternoon I tried to take some rest, because of a long transatlantic flight, but guess what....the aircondition broke down, and the temp. in all the rooms went up to 35 deg. c.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Gerhard1961
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I encountered Jenny, who was working the front desk, and she was just AWESOME!! I was inadvertently dropped off at the Marriott, (instead of the Courtyard Marriott), due to the taxi driver not asking me which one ( like I was suppose to know there was a different one). Jenny was able to book me at this hotel for the same rate i would have paid at the Courtyard, and she even called them to cancel the reservation without any fee!! Also, the breakfast was very, very good!!.....I will gladly stay here again!!!...Thank You Jenny!!!!!!!!!

Stayed August 2013
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Please dont stay at this hotel. I am a Silver Marriott member, and would rather stay at a Fairfield or Courtyard,. The full service Marriotts are old and overrated. I could not believe the controls on my Ac. Looked like from teh 70's. THe airflow was low, and not cold at all. Hotel room over 75 degrees. I contacted the front desk and was told nothing they can do. Maintenance came and did nothing. What a trap? Then the comforter is all balled up and old and smelly. Never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business