“Another Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 57 Hotels in Long Beach
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Another Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I stay in this hotel about twice per month the staff always welcome me back with tailored comments. The hotel is modern and the rooms have everything needed for a great stay. The pool area is nice however I must admit I'm not a fan of the new poolside sun beds I much preferred the previous ones.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank speedbirdheavy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Ankara, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We have attended to a trade show in Long Beach Conventon Center last April so while searching for the closest hotel, I found out Renaissance is the one of the closest. As it is very conveniently located to the Center and the restaurants, we had enjoyed staying there. BUT, I would love to have free or less expensive internet in the room. Also, breakfast should be included in the room rates. Because, almost nobody ate the second morning. We all discovered other places to eat breakfast. Rock Bottom Brewery across the street is a must to visit and enjoy, so as the Pier area. Have a good stay :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mlunal
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stayed here one night for a weekend getaway to visit Long Beach and the Aquarium, harbor cruise, Queen Mary. This hotel is right across from the convention center, close to the business district and walking ease for Pine Street and to Shoreline Village. You can also take the Passport Bus line which is free to the village, Queen Mary and the Aquarium. It picks you up right across the street. Don't confuse it with the regular bus line. Both types of buses are red so look for the word Passport on the free bus. Good location for business and leisure travelers. Had a pool but didn't check it out. Clean room. Had seventh floor room looking out toward the Queen Mary with a nice little balcony. We thought we were all set for a good night sleep until we heard the traffic below. We only heard the loud motorcycles or cars that had very loud engines..we didn't hear normal cars go by, other than that the room was very nice and the bed was comfortable.

Room Tip: Although the room with the view was very nice if you are a light sleeper, the loud motorcycles and l...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OCTravelers4
Union, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Just got back from a 4 night stay for a conference in Long Beach. This hotel was very clean and recently updated. It was situated within walking distance to many restaurants and a few shopping areas (Pine Ave) . The hotel has a nice pool that gets the afternoon sun once the fog has burned off from the ocean. The daily cleaning service was good and replenished all items on a daily basis. The gym was great with very updated equipment and open 24/7. I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to the area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Wendi G
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I just checked out after spending 3 nights at this property. The first room I was offered had a beautiful water view but wasn't clean. Although the front desk offered to make an additional deposit into my rewards account I was surprised that the "replacement" room was on the Promenade side and without a beautiful view. hmm.

The location is great. The vibrant Pine Street and Promenade are literally just outside. The Long Beach Shoreline Village (touristy but...) is a short walk away and the Performing Arts Center is across the street. I did not eat or drink at this hotel.

I've traveled extensively and found that this hotel could be more accommodating:

Why not offer free Wifi on the 3rd floor pool area? Why can't guests use the luggage carts? Why isn't there an actual concierge?

On the plus side? - They offer a government rate.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are only in the corners of each floor. Quieter rooms will not be on the Ocean Ave side...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
Diana H, Manager at Renaissance Long Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent visit. We were glad to hear that our location was a benefit to your visit, allowing you to explore the downtown Long Beach area. We too feel the location offers our guest a great experience in Long Beach.

We have shared your comments about your room location and staff with our team to take corrective measures. We hope on your next visit to the Long Beach area you will stay with us again so we can show you an exceptional experience.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Diana H
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I stayed at the Renaissance for four nights for a recent convention. If you look at a map, it is not immediately evident just how close the Renaissance is to the Convention Center. But it is literally across the street from the convention center and much closer to all of the lovely restaurants and bars on Pine Avenue.

I was able to check in a little early and was given a double room on the 5th floor (I had a conference rate). The room had a refrigerator and a large desk area with plenty of outlets. The bathroom was a decent size, and they provided wonderful Aveda products. The room was also very clean and the bed was comfy. Housekeeping made up my room early each day. There are cushions placed on the large ledge in the window area which was a lovely touch if I wanted to sit on the ledge and enjoy the view.

My room faced the pool (which is on the 3rd floor). Because I was on the 5th floor, I could hear the people partying and pool noise at night. Since I was there on business, I was in bed most nights well before 11:00 when the pool closes. If you need to get up early, ask for a higher floor or a room facing away from the pool.

I used the pool and large jacuzzi most mornings (the pool opens at 6:00). I quickly realized why there was so much pool noise when one morning I found beer bottle caps EVERYWHERE along with cigarette butts (I stopped counting at 30 butts) everywhere, but especially near the jacuzzi. Technically, the hotel is non-smoking, and there were certainly no ashtrays in the pool area that would lead guests to think that you could smoke there. But every day I saw people smoking near the pool. Either enforce the non-smoking rule, or provide ashtrays for these folks.

I used the fitness center every morning and was grateful that it was open 24/7. Being from the east coast, I never did get used to sleeping in and was frequently at the center before 6:00 each morning. There were 4 ellipticals, 2 bikes and 5 treadmills, along with weight machines and free weights. I liked the Techno Gym equipment, especially the ab machine, which is unusual to find at a hotel fitness center. There were plenty of towels, sanitizing wipes, bottled water, headphones, and fresh fruit.

Since I lost my Marriott Gold status because I "only" stayed 30 nights last year, I had to pay the $9.95 fee for daily internet access from my room. The connection was very fast, though. I believe that Wifi was available at no cost in the lobby.

There were so many fabulous restaurants within an easy six block walking area that it's hard to name them all. Suffice it to say that there is a restaurant for every taste and budget. I do have to mention the Truffle Burger at The Federal which was one of the best burgers that I've ever had. Rock Bottom Brewery is also directly across the street from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Seabrook, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Beautiful, clean, friendly and courteous staff! A great experience overall. Close to Shoreline Village, the Aquarium, and many restaurants and attractions all within walking distance.

The room was excellent, very clean and nicely updated with LOTs of charging ports for our computers, phones, etc. Nice soft beds and very soft and clean pillows, sheets, adn soft fluffy towels. The hotel was as spotless as was our room.

The only drawback was housekeeping did not arrive on our first day until after 5:30 p.m., the second day housekeeping did not arrive until 6:30 p.m.

All of the staff in that cafe and lounge were terrific. I highly recommend this hotel for business travel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business