“Nice hotel with tons of restaurant within walking distance”

Renaissance Long Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Just got back from our stay at the Renaissance hotel in Long Beach, CA. I usually like staying at the Westin when were in Long Beach but my wife wanted to try something new this year. I have to say that I still prefer the Westin but I did enjoy our stay at the Renaissance and there were some notable plus sides to staying here. First of all I liked the fact the Renaissance has a Starbucks coffee shop attached to it, so I could get up every morning at 6:00am and get my coffee. The Renaissance is also right on the corner of Ocean Blvd and Pine Ave which make it within walking distance of the Long Beach Convention Center and also within walking distance of all the amazing restaurants along Pine Ave. As for the Renaissance itself it was pretty nice. Their service was really good! The front desk never hesitated to get us extra towels or a new iron (the one in room broke) and the cleaning staff was really nice to us. Our room was really nice too. It was clean for the most part but we did notice a very large stain on the underside of the bedspread that worried us. It looked like some kid had wet the bed. However it didn't look fresh, more like the hotel staff just couldn't get the stain out but we asked for a new bedspread anyway and they were happy to give us one. As for the rest of the hotel, the lobby was really nice. It had lounging area and bar next too it it called The Sip that looked really cool. The pool was smaller than I had hoped and was full most of the time. As for staying here again, I probably will because my wife likes it and because its close to everything.

1  Thank michomeow

Reviewed July 28, 2012

The location of the hotel is on a street with late night restaurants and bars, one street away from another where locals told me, 'don't walk there when it is dark" - (1st street). Hotel acoustics are terrible, from 9pm through the night, for the two nights I was there, I could hear talking from the street (and I was on the 11th floor), sirens, police talking over speakers, more sirens, more talk, partying, etc. I called the front desk and asked if I could move to the other end of the hotel and they said, wait until in the morning. ??? What, I wanted to sleep that night ?? I tried to talk to the front desk about it and they said, "Oh, well, that's what happens around here, sorry". I did not need that. This hotel was not a bargain and cost me two nights sleep. While close to the convention center, other hotels in the area are further away from 1st street. Next time, I will try the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Stay toward the water or convention side of the hotel. Avoid the back of the hotel at all costs or y...
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Overall it seems you just can't go wrong staying with a Marriott affiliate. The hotel has a great lobby with trendy seating and friendly staff.

I had a particular request for a meal and the chef came out to talk to me about what I wanted, great attitude.

The room was nice, breakfast good, and the workout area well attended to - I saw it being regularly cleaned and stocked with apples and bottled water, for example.

Long beach is convenient for businesses in Torrance, CA.

The only 'gripe' about this hotel is that parking is very expensive. However, a great hotel and would happily stay here next time in Long Beach or Torrance.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

This review will read much like other reviews of this hotel. The hotel is definitely dated, although our room was very clean and fairly comfortable. I had reserved a 2 bed room but received a king bed upon arrival. The front desk was prompt about getting a rollaway delivered to our room, however. We were on the third floor (room 316) and were right above a bus stop, so I would avoid this location at all costs! We did have a nice view of the pier area, though, so definitely request a room at the front of the hotel. We only had breakfast once in the dining area because it was terribly expensive. We ate at the adjacent Starbucks nearly every morning! Very convenient location! We walked everywhere we needed to go. Close to many very good restaurants and only a 5-10 minute walk to the beach. The arena and convention center are right across the street. I would consider for location, but be prepared!

2  Thank RockyToplivin
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Have read other reviews and can appreciate things like convenience, location by the convention center and aquarium, and shopping/restaurants. However, I was not impressed with the overall quality. Here's the good/bad/other:

- Convenient location. Yes! But, be careful at night. This is not a place to walk alone at night. Across the street to the convention center seems relatively fine. However, off the back of the hotel is the train and it's ... not so fine. I would not do this by myself after dark.

- Service was good and the employees were friendly. The employees seemed to be trying very hard to please customers. I watched a very large truck attempt to park in a compact parking space, and the bell person was very patient with the F250 Ranger driver. Ultimately, the truck elected to park and have its rear end sticking out in traffic. But the bell person maintained his dignity and decorum, despite the ignorant driver. At the bar, there was a mixer being held and they had free appetizers. Was a nice treat. They seemed to have a singles mixer and some sort of pairing going on as well, so I thought that might be nice for the locals.

- Room was decent. The view was excellent, and we saw the Queen Mary in her full glory. However, it was also very noisy. The windows don't open, really, but there is a small 2" vent across the bottom of the window. This means that the window doesn't seal, which translates to street noise. Throughout the night and early into the morning, there was all sorts of street noise, talk, music, cars ... despite being 20 floors up, we heard everything as if we were standing on the sidewalk.

Next time I intend to try the Westin which is only one block up.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Navy_Lady
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My son and I stayed at this hotel for five nights because he attended a competition at the Arena there. We loved the Renaissance! The rooms were clean, bathrooms large, beds and pillows were comfortable and the staff were very friendly and accommodating.The workout room was nice and the pool area was very inviting - with a fire pit and hot tub. The poolside chairs were comfortable. Fellow teammates stayed at other hotels in the area (which were more expensive) and told us they liked the Renaissance better than their hotels. The location of this hotel is perfect. It is just one block from the Arena and Convention Center and about 4 blocks from the tourist Pier and beach. In addition, there are many great restaurants to choose from. I will definitely stay here again on my next trip to Long Beach.

1  Thank Judy998
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Hotel is in a great location. Walking distance to good food and entertainment for the family. Hotel room was large and clean. Front desk staff was very nice and helpful. Hotel is centrally located and easy access to LA but not in the hustle and bussle.

Room Tip: Higher floors have beautiful views.