“Good value but perhaps not best in area”

Renaissance Long Beach Hotel
Ranked #8 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed June 20, 2012

This is an older hotel but one centrally located: the waterfront is in front of you and the best restaurants/bars are in back of you. Our first room had its two large windows covered in bird "residue" but the staff quickly moved us to the front-side of the hotel--if you don't book the front-side you miss the water view, the Queen Mary view; the back-side looks out on a rather depressing urban redevelopment grunge. The Executive Club area is a bit dismal: offerings are much more restricted that in other locations, seating is cramped and, like other locations, it is not open most of the weekend. The rooms were large and lovely, with very large counter space in the bathroom. The downstairs bar SIP has a modern flair to it, seemed always busy. The in-house restaurant seemed only to open for breakfast but offered a large buffet. There is some talk of another boutique hotel going up opposite the hotel which would block most of the view of the water and the Queen Mary--hope that never gets off the ground. We had friends in the Hyatt which was more plush: only views of the Queen Mary but then that long walk up the Convention Center hill to get to the city's restaurants: we liked our location better.

Room Tip: Rooms on each floor at either end (e.g. the x02 room at one end) also have balconies. The top two fl...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Long Beach Hotel

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Great hotel in excellent area...I loved the SIP bar and the breakfast place. Rooms where nice, too. Just make sure you check your hotel bill. We had parking, internet and breakfast included in our corporate rate, and were charged. It was eventually corrected, but unnecessary,. The maid service was really fantastic and can not be overstated. Wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This hotel was the first of a tour of over 2,000 miles, called Western Wonders which,in the main, was very enjoyable, however I did have to call upon the use of Imodium Istants 3 times to cure diarrhoea which is 3 times more than my tour of the Deep South and 2 times more than my Tour of India so have a care as to what and where you eat if you are a foreign tourist.

The Renaissance is a pleasant enough hotel and most of the staff will look after you well. My room was well presented and clean and I didn't experience any of the paint chippings or noise that other reviewers have mentioned. There was however a strange smell that pervaded the room which I think could have been cured by opening a window for a while but clients are not able to do this.

The restaurant is an area that I think the management should give some thought to as well. If you go outside all the neighbouring restaurants are packed but not this one. I decided that I would have to stay in. I must have read through the largley uninspiring menu at least a dozen times before deciding upon the local halibut. Don't ask me what I had for dessert because I can't remember, however the meal was not unpleasant as I recall. On our second night we had, what was billed, our "welcome dinner", the quality of which was appalling. I don't know what budget was involved but no chef worth his salt should have let such food to leave his kitchen. Being "Brits" nobody wanted to make a fuss, I must admit that I didn't want to be the exception.

Another thing that lets the hotel down is the quality of service at the bar from the 2 men serving. If the customers number any more than about 6 these presumably experienced staff are unable to cope.

So to conclude a "must try harder" goes on to the hotel report card, which is a shame for the staff who do just that and are let down by those who don't.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 19, 2012

come from aberdeen scotland stayed in this hotel before very clean nice staff very freindly fine big room wife was in awheelchair no problem getting about will stay there again

Room Tip: side room very big plenty space
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2012

A pleasant if older hotel located at the end of the old main street. But beware if you are expecting breakfast at the Executive Club. The breakfast is from 6:30-9:30am. In our travels with the Marriott group, admittedly mostly staying at hotels outside the US, we've not encountered such an early finish. As we were there to relax for a day to see the Queen Mary we weren't prepared for the dismissive rebuff from an attendant we managed to track down when we arrived in the lounge. It was an extremely poorly served room and all we could scrounge for ourselves, as no help was offered, was horrible coffee from a thermos. May I suggest that guests be advised of this early breakfast when they check-in.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Stayed here during a recent conference in Long Beach. Hotel was super convenient to the conf center. Room was large and bed was comfy. Bathroom was clean but a little shabby (chipped paint, grout needed repaired). Staff was very friendly and polite. Parking is $16 a day. Starbucks in the hotel is nice but they close at 4pm! Lobby was very modern and a great place to hang out and have a drink or play on the internet since the wifi in the rooms is not free (I HATE hotels that don't provide free internet when you are paying over $200 a night for the room!). Requested non-feather pillows and a PURE room and enjoyed it. Room was quiet and had nice views of the water. Pool was nice.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2012

First let me say that the people working here are so friendly and nice. So, it's not about them. Maybe it's about expectations of the Renaissance name.

THE GOOD. The catered food service was unspeakably wonderful. The food provided by the hotel was great too. Staff was warm and friendly and made for a great experience.

NOISE. Street noise, even the call outs of the bus route could be heard clearly through the room window - even many floors up! I asked for, but was not provided with a quieter room. Secondly, when I checked in, the lobby area was filled with loud, pumping, annoying music. Not the classy "Renaissance" atmosphere I expected. I got the sense right then that the hotel is being run by twenty year olds.

MONEY. On charges. Times may be hard, but I'm being charged $8 for parking, though I stayed here three nights. I am also being charged for Internet connection, $13 a day. It's bad marketing for a hotel of this caliber to charge the guests for these little amenities.

I think management may be the issue. Part of marketing is giving the guests something to come back for. I won't be coming back...

Room Tip: Seemed like both city and bay side rooms were noisy. I was not privy to the upper locked floors, but...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business