“Fun for one night.”

Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
los angeles, ca
“Fun for one night.”
Reviewed October 27, 2006

Stayed on the queen mary for two nights, expecting "rough" conditions and a fun time and experienced just that. At first, the experience was no fun at all. Checking in was a nightmare. The desk clerk "carefully" selected a room (which involved 10 min of him searching the computer screen for a place - I wish this was an exaggeration) and placed us a level up and a long way down the hall. That's fine, except we weren't given the right keys. We went back down to the office, got the right keys, opened the door and found the room filthy and unmade. By now, we were tired, frustrated, and upset. This time we went to a different clerk who graciously upgraded us and placed us a few rooms from the main desk (yet was not very apologetic...I guess this happens often). After that, we avoided the front desk at all costs. However, the toilet was not operating for a period of time (due to a pipe breaking) and the next morning we were given a notice to check out when we had reserved two nights! All the problems we encountered were nicely solved...yet we wish that we had encountered fewer obstacles to enjoying ourselves.

We had an outside stateroom facing the harbor. Inside the room, the furnishings were old, original, and fun to explore. Only a few items were added (tv, fridge, toilet seat, shelf). The windows were portholes that opened up to a great view of the city and pelicans that swoop by. Windows make a big difference to enjoying the room! The one downside was the tub. It had been converted into a shower that had a showerhead good for people under 4ft. tall. The walls were as thin as others have described. We awoke in the middle of the night several times to our neighbors going in and out of their room and shuffling through their closet. The hotel staff was nice, yet seemed grumpy...perhaps underpaid and/or overwhelmed by people asking tons of questions on a daily basis. The hotel overloads you with information on how to spend more money (in their restaurants, etc) rather than information on the logistics of your stay onboard. They do broadcast a short (~15 min) documentary about the history of the ship on tv. The film was good, yet made me sad. Here is a ship with an interesting past, purchased by the city of Long Beach for the sole purpose of making money rather than making money AND providing a valued service to the public. It seems like the hotel/museum has unused potential.

I am a traveler who normally stays in "lower-tier" hotels and enjoys "roughing it". I would not stay here again and I would recommend that other people stay here for one night, only for the experience. Additional costs include parking ($10/day).

• Liked — History, old furnishings
  • Disliked — The service
  • Tips/Secrets — Only stay for one night; explore all levels of the ship; stay in a room with a window facing the city of Long Beach
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank pheramy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,938)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
phoenix
Reviewed October 10, 2006

We knew the Grand Ship was going to be old, (70yrs)
and from the reviews on this site,prepared us for noise from the thin walls.
Rooms could use new pillows and better dusting..but the shower was great with HOT water from the boilers.
The ship is actually a living Musuem, and once on board you can feel the bygone era.
There were 3 weddings during our first day there and the event added to the romantic quality we were hoping to find onboard.
Dining on board was fare,but pricey...the Sunday Brunch was good.
We ate in Long Beach and found several great spots for the same price or less.
Everything could use a little update including the Parking Staff. The front desk clerk (Veronica) took special care in providing us with all the information and didn't mind answering our questions. This took abit of time but at least she was consistant with every guest and made us all feel welcomed. Checking out was easy with the typical fee of Hotel parking $10 plus hotel tax $12 per day.For those who prefer the new and luxury hotels I would not advise a stay on board.However,if you wish for alittle adventure and history this would be great.

The Shipwreck event was also a treat to visit,...great haunted houses and the tour took 2hrs or so.....plus keep in mind to book for a harbour view though. The event drew alot of crowds...mostly youngsters.

• Liked — Restfull sleep with harbour view
  • Disliked — poor up keep of wooden walls and fixtures
  • Tips/Secrets — get cheap rates on priceline
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank skelly3055
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 2, 2006

Got a great package deal for a suite with a king in one room and two twins in the other and 4 tickets to the aquarium. Stayed for one night. We stayed on the Queen Mary because we thought it would be fun for the kids. They loved it! The room was decent. It wasn't all sparkly and modern like a typical hotel, but it was nice to experience what the rooms were really like. Beds were a bit hard. The walls are very thin and you can hear what is going on in other rooms and the hallway. We ate at the cafe onboard which had good food and great service. Friendly staff overall.

• Liked — View of the harbor
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Tips/Secrets — Check out package deals
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank hmmmmmmmm
Berkeley, CA
Reviewed September 27, 2006

I was there for a conference, and stayed two nights on the "A" deck toward the stern. I found it quiet, clean, with a comfortable bed. Yes, it wasn't a super hotel, but it wasn't meant to be. It is an old passenger ship. The room was dark, but that's how passenger ships were built in those days. There was a porthole with a good view that could be opened to the outside. The bathroom was very small with a stall shower, no tub, and no shelf to put things on. Overall, though, if you realize that you are staying in a living museum rather than a five star hotel, you can do ok. If you're upset about things like dark rooms, old furnishings and small bathrooms you'll hate the place.

• Liked — Being on an old passenger ship
  • Disliked — small room, dark, small bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for rooms on the side facing long beach city, on the A deck.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank paulie47
sheffiels, england
Reviewed September 12, 2006

We stayed at the Queen Mary on the last leg of our Route 66 tour after just getting married in Las Vegas. I expected the hotel to be an experience but what I got was the worst hotel i've ever stayed in. It smelt awful & I think over the time we stayed there which was only 1 night thank goodness I only saw about 3 staff members. I definitely wouldnt stay here again or recommend it as a hotel just a visitors attraction. The only saving grace was Parkers Lighthouse restaurant a short bus ride away where the seafood was out of this world.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank selinakate2003
Florida
Reviewed September 9, 2006

I stayed one night years ago and had a great time. This trip I stayed onboard for 3 nights. I had a first class stateroom. If you want to have a refurbished original stateroom, make sure you specify. Some of the interior rooms are a totally different style, and don't look anything like the pictures you will see on their website and/or brochures. Out of the last bunch of reviews, I will only agree with the paper thin walls. You can hear basically everything in the room next to you, but for me specifically, it wasn't too bothersome. You don't need air conditioning. Each room has 4 or 5 air vents that blow cool air. I had to turn half of them off because it got too cold, and it was 85 degrees outside. With the "older" style art deco room design, the dark wood in these rooms may seem like the room itself is too dark. This isn't the case. There are plenty of lights, and some of the outside rooms have more than one porthole. People staying here have to realize that they are trying to preserve as much of this ship as possible. And keeping some of the original room fixtures just adds to the atmosphere. Where some guests might complain that the bathrooms are old and outdated. I guess they are right if they consider the 75 year old water fixtures outdated even though they are perfectly functional. I don't know what reviewers are talking about when they say the ship is mostly closed off. If you take the walking tour, there are approx. 15 specific locations to visit on the ship. (engine room, bridge, officer's quarters, grey ghost museum). Then if that is not enough to see, you can take the behind the scenes tour. Plus just walking all of the decks could take you a couple of hours in itself. The ghosts and legends tour is an absolute joke. It is a 100 % fake special effects tour that pokes fun at some of the ghost stories that exist on the ship. Specifically there is one part of it where you are in a room and they make mention of the HMS Curacoa, where during WWII the Queen Mary hit this ship and around 300 sailers drown. (true story) Then all of a sudden the room starts to fill up with water, all the while the guide makes Vincent Price type noises into the microphone. It's very interesting to go through different parts of the ship and learn of the history of certain events that happened in these areas. But I think it's thoughtless to attempt to re-enact some of these tragic events with special effects, just to make a few bucks. Now, the first time I stayed there I was very unimpressed with the food. This time I was very impressed with the food. Everything I had on board was very, very good. The service wasn't always terrific, but the food was great. They have added a new deli that doesn't have a huge menu, but it just adds options. The observation lounge is my favorite place on the ship. It is in the original first class lounge. Some of the chairs are in need of being replaced, but they have a great drink menu, and a live band quite frequently. I forgot to mention the California Shakes shop. These home made shakes are awesome and quite filling. The only thing I wish they did with this ship is that they preserved a little more than they did. For example: A lot of the function rooms and public spaces on the ship used to be something else. I'm sure when they went from ship to hotel, certain decisions had to be made about what they were going to keep, and what they weren't. Both original cigar lounges onboard are gone and now one of them is a conference room. I wish they could have kept one of them and used it as they had. I think most people that have stayed here have probably enjoyed themselves. This place isn't perfect. But people have to remember, "It is what it is" Let go of some of your expectations of previous hotel experiences, and soak up the atmosphere and the history of this famous ship.

• Liked — Great rooms, very historic, good food, incredible atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Walls are very thin. Have to pay for parking. Ghost and Legends tour.
  • Tips/Secrets — Harbor view is the best. Take in some of the tours. Watch out for times when they blow ships whistle.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
10 Thank skpr77
Antioch, CA
Reviewed September 5, 2006

I was hoping this would be a great place to stay, but the room was very dingy - dark brown walls and poor lighting. It looked nothing like the picture in the elevator we had to take to get there. I am 5' tall, and I had to get up on a chair to look out the porthole / window. You'd think they would have built in a stairstep of some kind during the renovation, since this is a modern-day hotel. Also, there was no ice machine on the entire deck, even though there were signs posted. My husband had to walk the entire length of the ship and up one flight to fill the bucket. I will say that the staff was very nice.

• Liked — The way the hotel was lit up at night.
  • Disliked — The lighting in the rooms.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family