“I kind of liked it”

Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Berkeley, CA
“I kind of liked it”
Reviewed September 27, 2006

I was there for a conference, and stayed two nights on the "A" deck toward the stern. I found it quiet, clean, with a comfortable bed. Yes, it wasn't a super hotel, but it wasn't meant to be. It is an old passenger ship. The room was dark, but that's how passenger ships were built in those days. There was a porthole with a good view that could be opened to the outside. The bathroom was very small with a stall shower, no tub, and no shelf to put things on. Overall, though, if you realize that you are staying in a living museum rather than a five star hotel, you can do ok. If you're upset about things like dark rooms, old furnishings and small bathrooms you'll hate the place.

• Liked — Being on an old passenger ship
  • Disliked — small room, dark, small bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for rooms on the side facing long beach city, on the A deck.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank paulie47

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,938)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
sheffiels, england
Reviewed September 12, 2006

We stayed at the Queen Mary on the last leg of our Route 66 tour after just getting married in Las Vegas. I expected the hotel to be an experience but what I got was the worst hotel i've ever stayed in. It smelt awful & I think over the time we stayed there which was only 1 night thank goodness I only saw about 3 staff members. I definitely wouldnt stay here again or recommend it as a hotel just a visitors attraction. The only saving grace was Parkers Lighthouse restaurant a short bus ride away where the seafood was out of this world.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank selinakate2003
Florida
Reviewed September 9, 2006

I stayed one night years ago and had a great time. This trip I stayed onboard for 3 nights. I had a first class stateroom. If you want to have a refurbished original stateroom, make sure you specify. Some of the interior rooms are a totally different style, and don't look anything like the pictures you will see on their website and/or brochures. Out of the last bunch of reviews, I will only agree with the paper thin walls. You can hear basically everything in the room next to you, but for me specifically, it wasn't too bothersome. You don't need air conditioning. Each room has 4 or 5 air vents that blow cool air. I had to turn half of them off because it got too cold, and it was 85 degrees outside. With the "older" style art deco room design, the dark wood in these rooms may seem like the room itself is too dark. This isn't the case. There are plenty of lights, and some of the outside rooms have more than one porthole. People staying here have to realize that they are trying to preserve as much of this ship as possible. And keeping some of the original room fixtures just adds to the atmosphere. Where some guests might complain that the bathrooms are old and outdated. I guess they are right if they consider the 75 year old water fixtures outdated even though they are perfectly functional. I don't know what reviewers are talking about when they say the ship is mostly closed off. If you take the walking tour, there are approx. 15 specific locations to visit on the ship. (engine room, bridge, officer's quarters, grey ghost museum). Then if that is not enough to see, you can take the behind the scenes tour. Plus just walking all of the decks could take you a couple of hours in itself. The ghosts and legends tour is an absolute joke. It is a 100 % fake special effects tour that pokes fun at some of the ghost stories that exist on the ship. Specifically there is one part of it where you are in a room and they make mention of the HMS Curacoa, where during WWII the Queen Mary hit this ship and around 300 sailers drown. (true story) Then all of a sudden the room starts to fill up with water, all the while the guide makes Vincent Price type noises into the microphone. It's very interesting to go through different parts of the ship and learn of the history of certain events that happened in these areas. But I think it's thoughtless to attempt to re-enact some of these tragic events with special effects, just to make a few bucks. Now, the first time I stayed there I was very unimpressed with the food. This time I was very impressed with the food. Everything I had on board was very, very good. The service wasn't always terrific, but the food was great. They have added a new deli that doesn't have a huge menu, but it just adds options. The observation lounge is my favorite place on the ship. It is in the original first class lounge. Some of the chairs are in need of being replaced, but they have a great drink menu, and a live band quite frequently. I forgot to mention the California Shakes shop. These home made shakes are awesome and quite filling. The only thing I wish they did with this ship is that they preserved a little more than they did. For example: A lot of the function rooms and public spaces on the ship used to be something else. I'm sure when they went from ship to hotel, certain decisions had to be made about what they were going to keep, and what they weren't. Both original cigar lounges onboard are gone and now one of them is a conference room. I wish they could have kept one of them and used it as they had. I think most people that have stayed here have probably enjoyed themselves. This place isn't perfect. But people have to remember, "It is what it is" Let go of some of your expectations of previous hotel experiences, and soak up the atmosphere and the history of this famous ship.

• Liked — Great rooms, very historic, good food, incredible atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Walls are very thin. Have to pay for parking. Ghost and Legends tour.
  • Tips/Secrets — Harbor view is the best. Take in some of the tours. Watch out for times when they blow ships whistle.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
10 Thank skpr77
Antioch, CA
Reviewed September 5, 2006

I was hoping this would be a great place to stay, but the room was very dingy - dark brown walls and poor lighting. It looked nothing like the picture in the elevator we had to take to get there. I am 5' tall, and I had to get up on a chair to look out the porthole / window. You'd think they would have built in a stairstep of some kind during the renovation, since this is a modern-day hotel. Also, there was no ice machine on the entire deck, even though there were signs posted. My husband had to walk the entire length of the ship and up one flight to fill the bucket. I will say that the staff was very nice.

• Liked — The way the hotel was lit up at night.
  • Disliked — The lighting in the rooms.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank Samantha_Marie
Kansas City
Reviewed August 6, 2006

How sad. I stayed on the Queen Mary ten years ago and enjoyed the stay. I used to live in Long Beach and took clients aboard for great meals at the Winston Churchill. Today I would not consider another stay if it was the only room available in Long Beach. Nothing positive to say about our stay. The room was dirty, and that was after we moved from the first room assigned to us. The staff, with the exception of one very nice bellman, did not care about anything. I'm just happy this was not more than one night on our otherwise wonderful vacation.

DO NOT BOOK A ROOM ON THE QUEEN MARY - YOU WILL BE SORRY IF YOU DO.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank mfjayhawk
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed August 5, 2006

Ironic... we were in California for a wedding and afterwards were supposed to take a Carnival cruise to the Mexican Riviera. After a drastic itinerary change, we bailed from the cruise and thought it would be interesting to stay aboard the Queen Mary for a night. Thank goodness a night is all it was for. After reading some of the other reviews ... I totally agree about at least two of the things... the walls ARE PAPER THIN and it does smell funny in certain parts of the ship.
When we got there, we checked in (our room was ready early) and did the Ghosts and Legends Tour along with the Titanic Artifacts. The Ghosts and Legends Tour was VERY dumb and I wouldn't waste your money. The Titanic exhibition was great.
Our first room was ok. Very old looking, dismal and smelly. Also VERY loud. We heard the people next to us talking as though they were in our room. In addition, there was a HUGE radio "Girls Night Out" event going on and our room must've been one of several located above the ballroom where this took place. We could hear everything (DJ, screaming girls and the vibrating music) as though it was being broadcasted from our room in surround sound. Having had a flight out early the next morning, I marched myself down to the front desk to complain and asked if my husband and I could switch rooms. I was told that this shindig would be going on till 1:30 a.m. They did switch our room (not hassle free of course) and it was MUCH better. Seemed like there might have been more sound barriers between the rooms and were far enough away from the event where we couldn't hear it. The room was a little nicer too. I just felt real bad for those people with children that had to listen to that. As we left the next day, we heard several other very irate people complaining thoughout the boat about the noise factor and the paper thin walls. With this being said, we did make the best of it and did have two VERY delicious meals on board. One at the Chelsea restaurant and one at the champagne brunch in the Grand Salon. Wait staff at each were phenominal.

• Liked — The FOOD
  • Disliked — The paper thin walls
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat there but don't stay there!!!!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Cfran
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed July 30, 2006

This was our second stay on The Queen Mary. The first time we stayed we settled for 'all they'd got left' which was a twin with a porthole that turned out to be really quite pleasant. This time, we upgraded, or at least we thought, to a state room which was extremely dark, smelt damp had a mattress that was falling to bits, ripped sheets and generally had the feeling that it had served its time. We were also disappointed that you no longer get the run of the ship. The charm last time we stayed was being able to have a good look around and soak up the atmosphere once the crowds had gone. This time, the ship rather sadly lacked any sort of atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled with family