“Dock Side Cruise”
Review of The Queen Mary

The Queen Mary
Ranked #8 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed July 18, 2014

My wife called me on Friday from work to say that she had Saturday and Sunday off and wanted to go somewhere for the weekend. I thought maybe San Diego or maybe our time share in Las Vegas. Then I remembered that she had wanted to stay on the Queen Mary some time back.

After checking on the QM website a deluxe King bed room with view was chosen for a Saturday night stay. We used the valet parking that was $20.00 a night (self parking is $17.00) and the bell hope service. Check in was fast and informative. We did ask for a haunted room but the one assigned to us was not haunted. We were given a paper showing rooms and areas where hauntings have been reported.
The Hotel does have a "Facilities Fee" of $14.95 per night that includes an audio tour of the ship, children’s scavenger hunt, WIFI, access to the fitness center and 50% off of select guided tours and attraction tickets. A portion of the facilities fee is designated for the restoration and preservation of the Queen Mary.
We had a room on "A" Deck on the starboard side of the ship "122" that had a view of the parking lot. (next time it will be on the Port side with a view of the harbor)
The room would have been a first class cabin if on a cruise so it was larger then a standard room. Now I know I have read that this hotel is not up to date but if you want a modern hotel then go stay somewhere else. The QM Hotel takes you back to a time when she sailed the high seas but you never leave the dock. It does have wifi and a flat screen tv' in the room so that is more then you would have when she sailed.
The room we had was nice. The bathroom was smaller then my wife liked but would do for our stay. We did have to have a burned out light bulb in the bathroom but this was replaced by the "engineers" within 10 mins. of my call to the front desk. Also make sure you bring a power strip being the room only has a few outlets
After checking in and unpacking we walked the decks and toured the ship. We explored the different decks and had some snacks and drinks at the Observation Bar and Art Deco Lounge.
Dinner was at the Chelsea Chowder House and a cigar and drinks on the sun deck watching the boats come in. In fact we even got see the firework show at Disneyland at 9:40. In the morning a cruise ship had docked behind the QM and we watched the unloading and resupplying of this ship as it was made ready for another cruise.
We did opt for the late check out (3:00 pm rather then 12:00 noon) to give us more time to sleep in and leave when we were ready. No rush..
We will be coming back for another dock side cruise. Might make it a extra night so that we can take the water taxi over to the other side of the harbor.
Overall the stay was nice and we left relaxed and ready to return to the modern world.
You need to remember that the QM Hotel is part of the Museum and this adds to the stay.

Happy Trails

Room Tip: I would ask for a Port "Harbor" side room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
QM1934, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

CityDave -

Thanks for the feedback. We love hosting couples for a quick weekend get-away or a nice staycation!

We are so glad you had a great visit and we cannot wait to host you again soon!
-The Queen Mary Commodore

Write a ReviewReviews (6,479)

Reviewed July 18, 2014

You've heard the saying, "they don't build them like that anymore". She is this phrase personified. We must humanize her because, like her namesake, she is a monarch. A monarch of the mighty ocean which she plied in her 40 year career whilst she was with engine.
From the moment you lay eyes on her she makes you stand taller, imagining the strength of the men who built her, the celebrities who graced her corridors and grand salons, the ideals and principles adopted during the time of her "reign".
Then you step aboard. The eye immediately appreciates the art deco fashion in which she is furnished and when you do your research it becomes apparent the place is dripping with art works from the best creators around at the time. Marquetry clads every wall crafted from woods from around the world. Bake-o-Lite hand rails and air vents add touches from yesteryear. But the real thrill is when you enter The Grand Salon for Sunday Brunch and you see the ceiling height and the large double doors through which swanned many a movie star or royal in tuxedo or gown....the imagination is stirred so, just gazing around the room. Murals on the walls, of peacock and deer, unicorn and lion. All significant creatures in heraldry and myth.
The suites tell stories too. They have single cabins off, which were maids quarters, or maybe the nightly sanctuary of a privileged child, travelling first class between Old and New Worlds?
The Observation Bar looks as it did when the last cocktail was sipped in 1967 and just holding a glass at that bar and admiring the mural behind the strip of mahogany makes your spine tingle with excitement. Maybe you are stood in the exact same spot in which Dean martin or Noel Coward enjoyed their favourite nightcap.
The food is as simulating as the surroundings. Sir Winston's restaurant- which you have to enter from the promenade deck- served us with Tiger Prawn starter,Chateau Briand main course and a Chocolate mousse dessert to die for! A bottle of Moet chilling in the ice bucket by the side of your table. What more could you ask for whether celebrating anniversary, birthday, or a romantic dinner? Sample a pre- dinner drink first though, in a booth in the bar at the entrance to Sir Winston's. They have a good selection of New World wines reasonably priced.
Breakfasts and lunches we ate in the café. Great service, good food, all made more memorable as we watched dolphins through a picture window, at play in the bay.
You have to try to be there for Sunday Brunch. Some waiter service but mainly self-service buffet. Cuisine from around the world to cater for all the different nationalities which visit. Waiters constantly drift around the room, topping up your champagne glass, clearing your table and fulfilling your requests with a smile. They deserve their tips.
I didn't partake of their tours. A little too "theme park" for me. I prefer to see the Queen Mary for the ocean liner that she was. The shops are reminiscent of how it was (apart from the fact they would have housed some of the best quality branding such as Harrods when she sailed) and I understand the shop area was designed on the same lines as "Ocean Terminal" Southampton....before that icon was demolished! Another thing I liked was that a shuttle bus ferries you to and fro the centre of Long Beach. The town is very pedestrian- friendly and the beach is easily accessible. Plus you get a great view of The Mary, and at 10am,2 and 4pm. you get shaken to your core when they sound her deep, bellowing whistle across the bay.
Yes, you have to be a romantic to appreciate The Dame for what she is. Or you must have to have a passion for iconic engineering or love all things nautical and nostalgic. If you are none of these then I don't think she will reach your soul. They conduct wedding ceremonies here too, of which I almost used their services had I not timed it just right to be fortunate enough to wed on The Mary's "niece", the QM2!! There are a choice of room sizes for the wedding celebrations, all beautifully appointed, and the wedding chapel is a little gem, with a room off for the bride to prepare, compose herself, or change her mind!
When you remove the rose-coloured spectacles, the carpets are frayed around the edges, there are scratches on the woodwork and their are scrapes on the walls. But she does not claim to be The Burj or a modern Sofitel. Do not go if these are your prerequisites. Go if you are a "castles, museums, mansions" kind of person and can accept what this old girl has been through, has still to go through, and is still the dream of many an old romantic like myself. For she is so full of atmosphere you get quite heady before the champagne flows!
I have stayed on her three times now. I cannot wait for the next time and although her current owners may be scathed for not doing things to Conde Nast standards, they must also be commended for preserving something so precious.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more and book a suite. Much more space and the décor is more in keeping.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Denise H-

Thank you for the feedback. I can sense your passion for the ship.

We are so glad you had a great visit and we cannot wait to host you again soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

You have to remember- this is basically a hotel from the 30's that doesn't undergone any dramatic changes- primarily the ventilation is still the same, which is to say pretty weak. After all when crossing the Atlantic it doesn't need to be powerful. It's also area-controlled(I think is their term), so maintenance has to be called and change the settings for an entire bunch of rooms.
I also have to say that I have slept on many, MANY sleeper sofas in my life, and the one in the mini-suite I stayed at was BY FAR the worst I've ever had. It's the kind where rather than being "pull-out" the back simply slides down, resulting in a lovely uncomfortable crease where the seat normally meets the back. It's also has the softness level of cement. I also had to have them bring up the sheets and blanket as there was none in our room. Good job, guys.
The main room in our minisuite still looked nice for the most part with the wood trim. The little side-room was just plain boring- that crappy couch, a little side-table/lamp, a TV, and not much else. BORRRRRRINNNNGGG. It also seems if you want anything that looks like the pictures, you need a minisuite or higher. The bathroom was quite spacious though.
Breakfast (I forget which location) was expensive and not really worth it- seriously, 4 freaking dollars for coffee? Robbery.
Ok, so that's the ship as a hotel. The ship as an attraction? MUCH BETTER.
We did 2 tours; the glory days was wonderful, with being able to see older areas of the ship where the rich would bump elbows, with beatiful art deco designs, and the EXHAUSTIVE audio tour- be prepared to walk quite a bit with that one. It takes several hours if you do everything. We also toured the nreaby scorpion which was really cool, but DO NOT ATTEMPT if you have any serious physical disabilities.
The art deco bar at the rear of the ship is super swank, and as an art deco lover I ate it up.
The ship overall is quite beautiful and really deserves to be seen... just not slept in.

Room Tip: The higher the deck, the better. Less foot traffic.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
QM1934, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Shane W -

I think we are a great place to visit and STAY. We don't offer the sleeper sofa any more - so if you pulled the back down, you probably just broke the sofa. :( that makes Queen Mary sad. Yes we are an older ship - turning 80 this year - but we are looking pretty good for 80. We are the Betty White of ships. And our staff works around the clock to keep her in ship shape!

We are so glad you had a nice visit and we cannot wait to host you again soon!

Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is my wife and I's 2nd time staying on the Queen Mary. We LOVE the atmosphere and ambience. The shops are cool, the restaurants are nice but a bit pricey and the rooms are cool if you get a Port Side (Port of Longbeach). The inside rooms are pretty boring and lack the whole feel of the ship.
Spend the extra money and get a deluxe room. It really gets you in that old world mood :-)

Room Tip: Mid week pricing could be lower.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Leo C -

Did you mean to hit four stars? This read like a four-star review, but maybe I am crazy. Glad you had such a great time - good shops and tours and delicious restaurants and a nice romantic evening for you and the wife...well done!

We cannot wait to host you again soon!

Reviewed July 17, 2014

My family and I had a very nice time aboard the Queen Mary. It was interesting and different. The features built into the ship -- now incorporating modern amenities -- provided for a great place to stay and explore. The design and amount of formal tours give guests a great experience.

The business plan for the running of the operation is a nickel and dime affair... from the addition of special fees attached to the stay, to the exclusion of parking fees from the room rental. Be prepared to pay well for the luxury of eating. Once a guest gets over that hurdle and immerses themselves into the experience, the stay is very enjoyable.

robmacusa -

Thanks for the feedback and we could not agree more - there is nothing like being aboard a ship!

No nickle and dime affair here - you pay for parking at hotels...pretty much everywhere...on Earth. We charge $17 per night or $20 for valet - I paid $50 once in San Fran. The Marriott by the airport here in Long Beach is$20 plus.

Then we charge a facilities fee of $14.95/night that entitles guests to:

• Audio tours of the ship
• Children’s scavenger hunt
• WIFI
• Access to the fitness center
• 50% off of select guided tours and attraction tickets
• A portion of the facilities fee will be used for the restoration and preservation of the Queen Mary.

We thank you for your contribution to the preservation of the ship.

Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

I have heard a lot about the Queen Mary and really was excited to see it. I didn't realize how disappointing it was going to be. My husband and I went here for our honeymoon and it was the worst tour place we went. It has become a tourist trap in the worst way! We did the ghosts and legends tour and it was not what we expected. It was an interactive haunted house that made us feel like we were on a kid tour through a haunted house instead of learning the history and fun behind the ship. The Haunted Encounters tour was a bunch of walking and them making fun of paranormal researchers. Yes we understand not everyone believes in ghosts but they made it sound like the ones who do are stupid or as our tour guide called them "a bunch of crazy people just wanting something to do and are a joke." This place may be great to stay as a "hotel" but everything was over priced and we regret going here. It is sad to post this since my husband and I had such high hopes of this place but it is true and an honest review.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Jaydednai

Jaydednai -

We are disappointed to read it. We certainly are no tourist trap with plenty of different tour packages available. If ghosts aren't your thing - check out our Sub, our WWII tour, our Princess Diana exhibit and take the audio tour which is at least two hours long and takes you all over the ship and teaches you of her rich history. If you do like ghosts but want something a little scarier, try our tours after dark and do our paranormal investigations! Where a trained guide takes you to the hot spots and tries to make contact with the other side...or just explore on your own. Or enjoy a bite to eat at one of our incredible restaurants.

We offer so much.

We do hope to have you aboard again soon!

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I really enjoyed the feeling that they are trying to preserve on the Queen Mary. Lot's of history. Rooms comfortable.... even thought the bathrooms in the cabins are on the smaller side with out dated plumbing... but this is the way it was then. Food was great. Enjoyed walking around in the summer night...

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
QM1934, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

C L -

Thank you for the feedback and the five stars! High five!

Five stars makes Queen Mary Happy!

We cannot wait to host you again soon!