“Excellent pre cruise stay, and paranormal tour.”
Review of The Queen Mary

The Queen Mary
Ranked #8 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We stayed here prior to our 16 day Hawaii cruise. We really liked it after a cross country train trip. For some reason we had to book the hotel with Orbitz as through the hotel website it was not available. We ate at the cafe and had a great meal. In the evening my wife and I did the paranormal tour. Tristan could not explain something I caught on my camera, and my wife has a tendency to see things. It was down in the old engine room we encountered something.

It was quite the highlight of our trip.

I'd give it a full 5 stars if it wasn't for the prom going on until midnight that you could easily hear in the rooms as well as some slightly missed dust/dirt in the corners of the room.

However to see a type of luxury liner that was similar to what my great grandparents came over on was pretty cool and unique, and we will be glad to stay here again when we have more time.

Room Tip: Lower in the ship might help if there are events going on. We had great sleep once the bass from th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
QM1934, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

skuttduck -

Thanks for the feedback and brilliant idea staying at the Queen Mary before or after a Carnival Cruise - I mean we share a parking lot...Why not extend your vacay by a day (I like the rhyme there) and stay (oops I did it again) ...in fact we have a park and play package - where you get your room and parking here at the Queen for the duration of your cruise at a discounted rate ...not too shabby.

Well we are glad you got some cool photos (post on our facebook page - we love to debate these paranormal sightings)...Glad you had a nice stay - apologies on the Prom - it's that time of year.

-The Queen Mary Commodore

Write a ReviewReviews (6,483)

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Loved our stay on The Queen Mary. Having a drink at the Observation Bar was fun. Dinner at Sir Winston's was outstanding. The only complaint is the noise level at night in the hotel room, but we were warned! Great visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

CatMom32174 -

Thank you so much for the feedback and we are so happy you had such a great visit to the World Famous Queen Mary. We could not agree more about the OB - a great place to grab a classic cocktail, take in the views and enjoy the wonderful beauty of the Art Deco the ship boasts.

And Sir Winston's - definitely our elite restaurant - the bestest restaurant aboard this ship. :) So glad you had a wonderful visit and we cannot wait to host you again soon!

Reviewed May 2, 2014

She's old and rough around the edges but undoubtedly she's still a sight to see.
It is an experience to reminisce in the glory of an era long-gone.
I suggest to anyone to familiarize themselves with the ship both before and after she was converted to get a true sense of how she was.

• Stayed: April 2014

JoeyManhattan -

Thanks for the feedback and for the five stars....She is a treasure - about to turn 80 years old...and she looks pretty good for her age - don't you think? Check out our website to learn more of her history and how you can help keep her history alive!

We cannot wait to host you again soon! Please do tell your friends - word of mouth means a lot...

Reviewed May 1, 2014

So we went to The Queen Mary to go to the Chill Experience, but found a pleasant surprise that we were also given free admission to the Queen Mary, with your ticket purchase. To the delight of me and my lady, my daughter couldn't wait to walk around on the ship.

We were a little beat from our time at Chill, but still found time to walk around the entire ship's many decks. The view of Long Beach is breathtaking, and if nothing else, worth a trip up all the stairs to the top level. Then there is all the history there. You get to see what the Captains Quarters looked like, as well as how small the workers quarters were. My daughter looked at all of the old telephone and telegraph machines, and told my niece they are really old, they must be from the 90's or something. Kids do say the funniest things. They were in amazement of the size of the ship, and wanted to know when we can go on one and go on the ocean. I told her we can try and go on a cruise next year.

There were a lot of parents and kids on the ship while we were there, and it seemed all the kids had the same questions. None of us could really answer them, but I was able to find out that the ship was built in December of 1930. If we wanted to, for $5 extra, we could have added on a guided tour, but I don't know if the kids would have been able to take walking around at a slower pace for a full hour, rather than run around the whole ship for an hour like we did.

They do have guided tours, and night tours. My girl asked if we could come back and take the nighttime paranormal tour? I saw they have 4 or 5 different options, and told her I think that would be cool. We can have dinner on the ship, and they tell you all about the hauntings, and even try and attempt to contact the dead on one of them. It's $75 without dinner, $129 with dinner. This comes with 2 hours of dinner, and 2 hours with the dead. Scary...

I really did like going to the Queen Mary. It was my first time actually going on it, when it wasn't for their Halloween Scary Mary thing. I told my daughter I would bring her back and we can all take the guided tour, that way all the questions they have can be answered. I told my girl, within the next few months, I would really love to come back and take the Paranormal Tour. Actually, I would love to spend the night in the hotel, and see what actually goes bump in the night...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Adam P
QM1934, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Adam -

Thanks for the feedback and we are very glad you loved CHILL. All of our special event tickets include access to the ship except for Dark Harbor. So keep in that in mind going forward upon return visits. :)

Glad you loved the views and hilarious comment from your daughter. Kids do say the darndest things. We are a great family venue - educational and historical and a lot of fun...Those Paranormal Tours are excellent - I would highly recommend.

Cannot wait to host you again soon!

Reviewed May 1, 2014

This was a memorable and unique experience. Transported us back to the days when the ship sailed across the ocean. Service, rooms and all were excellent. We did part of the self-guided tour of the ship - lots of stairs! - had a drink in the Observation Bar, dinner in the Chelsea Clam house and even bought a few souvenirs. And there's a Starbucks for early-morning coffee.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a room with windows and a king sized bed. It was great for an extra $30
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Californiagirl857 -

Thanks for the feedback. We are so glad you had such a wonderful visit. We love making memories....

OB - that is one of my top - five favorite places on Earth. Classically cool and hip bar - serving those delicious old school cocktails...so glad you had a nice visit. And Chelsea Chowder House too? Awesome..

Please do tell your friends. Word of mouth means a lot to us.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

We had a great time on the Queen Mary! The staff was great and the ship was beautiful. Lots of activities to choose from also. The only thing I would change is there needs to be more bars/restaurants open after 10 pm. A lot of people were wandering around after 10 pm looking for things to do and nothing was open. Other than that, we had a great time on the ship and would recommend it to anyone! :)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Sonya P -

Thanks for the feedback! We are so glad you had such a wonderful experience. We love those explorers after 10 pm...looking for ghosts. :)

So glad you had a wonderful experience.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have visited the Queen Mary many times when I lived in Southern California and stayed there several years ago. This hotel has made some definite improvements over the past five years. The linens are top quality, the pillows are amazing, the mattress is very comfortable and I was in one of the standard rooms! I had one of the best night's sleep I have had in a long time. The bathrooms could be cleaner, and are in need of updating. I love that they have kept the original fixtures, tub and sink, but think they could revamp the flooring and the tiles that are starting to lift of the walls.
The art deco bar is great for a night cap and there are plenty of things to do on board. Dinner at Sir Winston's is a must! They did make a mistake on my meal, but more than made up for it with the service. The extended tour I took was not as good as others I have taken in the past and think maybe they need to retrain some of their tour guides. I found myself giving more information to other guests than the guide did as I had been on so many tours. Enjoyable none-the-less, but I am used to more informative guides on board the Queen Mary.
I think the only thing that could improve the Queen Mary is if they convert the theatre back into a swimming pool for guests. A replica of the second class swimming pool up to current codes would be AMAZING and could in fact be done (I know some historical societies have advocated for them to do just that)
You really do feel transported back in time on this ship and I hope they continue to maintain the integrity of the vessel while making necessary updates.

Room Tip: Get a harbor side view and upgrade if you can to the former first class cabins.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

WeekendGetawayJunkie -

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for noticing all the changes. We have been working very hard as a staff to restore the Queen Mary - I like to say we work around the clock to get this ship - well in ship shape. We have started a very determined preservation effort as well - log on to our website for more info on that! Glad you love the Observation Bar and Sir Winston's...a Pool addition might be tough - but we appreciate the suggestion...our last pool is you know haunted. :)

Please do tell your friends...word of mouth means a lot to us!