“Pleasant stay but room was smaller than I thought.”
Review of The Queen Mary

The Queen Mary
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Front desk staff was very nice and room was clean. However, I thought our room (2 Queens) would be bigger than what we ended up with. My brother reserved a 1 King bed room and so putting aside the fact that there is one less bed present (hence his room should be spacier)...the dimensions of his room was literally bigger than ours!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
QM1938, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Thanks for the feedback and we are so glad you enjoyed your visit to the Queen Mary.

One of the coolest things about this ship is that no two rooms are alike!

So glad you had a great visit and we cannot wait to host you again very soon!
-The Queen Mary

Write a ReviewReviews (6,413)

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Stayed on this beautiful boat and spent the night at the chill event.. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. We ate at the casual restaurant (I forgot the name) but the good was really good and the view was so pretty. The room was great I love the atmosphere.. Overall an amazing experience!!

Room Tip: Upgraded the room when we got there to a room with a view.. Definitely worth the extra money!!!

Ashley N -

What a great idea to stay aboard the allegedly haunted ship on Friday the 13th!

So glad you had a great experience. Thank you so much for the FIVE stars and we cannot wait to host you again very, very soon!

Reviewed December 14, 2013

The staff was fantastically sweet, and took care of us completely. We had a fantastic view from our window. We were able to see CHILL which is what we were there for! We got our deal on LivingSocial and it was the best thing my girlfriend and I have EVER done!!!! Yes, the restaurants are very pricey, but the Happy Hour of The Observation Bar is great. Drinks are good. I'm not someone who would EVER stay on a boat, and I would happily stay on this boat again. Very comfortable.

Room Tip: Only down side was our room was incredibly hot and we had to leave the windows open all night. It wa...

Kat A -

Thanks for the feedback. We are so glad you and your girlfriend had such a great experience aboard the ship and enjoyed CHILL - our annual holiday adventure featuring Ice Tubing, Ice Skating and our incredible Ice Kingdom. Thanks for the five stars!

Please tell your friends.
-The Queen Mary

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I try to find interesting places to stay and things to do while traveling for business and it is a pleasant surprise when I find both at a single destination. Being something of a history buff, I could not pass up the opportunity to stay fiaboard for a couple of nights. Negative reviews regarding excessive noise or worn/old furnishings had no bearing on my decision. I was willing to put up with quite a bit for an opportunity to stay at a venue of such historical significance. That said, I personally had no issues with noise, and found my accommodations to be more than just acceptable. I only wish I had more time to soak in the environment of the ship. I'll be back when in the area again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

rustyg731 -

Thanks for the feedback and we are pleased you had such a wonderful visit. You have to keep in mind that these reviews are always accurate. You usually only hear from the ones that have a bad experience. We have millions of satisfied guests like yourself that just don't take the time to write in such a positive review such as yourself. You hit the nail on the head with your review.

We cannot wait to host you again soon!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

This historic cruise ship is a great experience. During my stay "Chill" was going on next to the ship. The crowds were extensive and parking was a challenge but it was worth it. The staff were very courteous and helpful. Being a Saturday, the bars were crowded but fun none the less. The rooms have paper thin walls but they are spacious and the beds are comfortable. Everything is well maintained and clean. The bathtubs are historic and do not have flat bottoms so it is an adventure to shower.
Our second day led us to tour the ship and spend some time on our own. Everything is well marked and there are a lot of historic pictures and informational plaques. The radio room, on the upper deck, is great. You can see the old equipment and talk to the current radioman. All in all, this is a good value, interesting hotel.

Room Tip: Suites are more expensive but are larger and quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
QM1938, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

CalifTrvlAgnt -

Thanks for the feedback on the ship and for enjoying CHILL. We are so glad you had a wonderful visit and we cannot wait to host you again very, very soon!.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I had come to the Queen Mary with my partner to spend our 10th Anniversary together aboard the ship. I decided to go all out for this and got a deluxe room and let me tell you, it was wonderful!! Though, the noise level was a bit annoying considering you could hear everyone walking through the hallways clear as day and anything that would be going on in the room next to you. (We were wondering if anyone was around us considering we didn't want to embarrass ourselves. Haha) and since I'm such a light sleeper, I woke up a lot in the middle of the night from people talking in the hallways or simply walking.The room also got a little bit stuffy and hot, but just open a porthole and you'll get a nice sea breeze. Unfortunately, they don't have air conditioners in the room and I knew this going in. Gotta keep it as old looking as possible! You almost have to always open a porthole while in your room 'cause it gets hot easily.

The beds were amazingly comfortable and they had a lot of pillows. Just how I like it!! I can't sleep without a lot of pillows and they had about 5 huge ones on the bed. So, I was happy about that! Though, the tv was annoying to deal with. They give you only so many channels and they don't tell you whats playing. You have to guess. It's like, you either have to go out and explore, or you have to buy something in order to watch it. They do it on purpose! lol

We also decided to go to the Tea Room aboard the ship and it was delightful!! Our server, Elizabeth was a real treat and explained to us what each sample of food or dessert was. She was really sweet. If you decide to go to the tea room, definitely go with the Windsor tea! It doesn't look like a lot of food but I guarantee you're going to leave feeling stuffed!

There was quite a few people aboard the ship who gave excellent customer service. Shout out to Diana who was in front of the Diana exhibit tour. (We found it amusing her name was Diana.) She was wonderful and we all shared our ghost stories together. Then Abacul in the Promenade Cafe for Breakfast. He was great and definitely one of the best servers I've ever had. These people made our experience aboard the ship great and we'll definitely be back. Especially since we didn't get to do the Ghost and Legends tour. We didn't have time for it with all the fun packed things we planned.

Also, avoid the Scottish Heritage store in the gift shop area if you possibly can. Every time I've been there, they've been extremely rude.

Room Tip: Try and bring a small fan or leave the tv on or something to drown out the noise if you're a lig...

Christy S -

Thanks for the feedback and happy belated anniversary. We are so thrilled you selected such a romantic location as the Queen Mary to celebrate your 10th anniversary! Congrats. We do apologize about the air conditioning and TV - we try and modernize this ship as much as we can without altering her wonderful history...I always do believe that opening up a porthole is the way to go - doesn't life just look better through a porthole? Sounds like a t-shirt, right?

So glad you loved the Tea Room and Prom Cafe - Elizabeth and Abacul are two of our favorites!

We cannot wait to host you again very, very soon. Perhaps for anniversary No. 11?

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We booked our USA 'Coast to Coast' holiday a over year ago because it coincided with our 15th anniversary. When we received the detailed breakdown of where we would be staying, we were delighted to find that the actual night (31 October) would be spent on the Queen Mary. As a number of others have mentioned in these reviews, I would say: please go and visit - but stay somewhere else! The public rooms have been maintained superbly and our group thoroughly enjoyed a tour given by an old sea-dog. We also enjoyed a wonderful meal (see separate review for Chelsea Chowder Room).
But the accommodation was dire. We had twin beds located some distance away - maybe 30 feet along a corridor - from a tiny porthole. The bedding and pillows were uncomfortable and the room looked grubby. The bathroom was a nightmare: the bath was dangerous for anyone unsteady on their feet; one of the taps was loose and spun through 360degrees. As has been mentioned by others, the walls are paper thin, and after we had arrived back from the restaurant, we were 'entertained' by the couple in the next room having a barney. When they finally decided to stop shouting at each other, we were kept entertained by the ice machine in the main corridor, which carried on clunking all night.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alan H

Alan H -

Thanks for the feedback and we are so glad you enjoyed the tours and the wonderful meal at Chelsea - I can't wait to read your review of that restaurant next. We do apologize for the inconvenience in regard to the noise on board the ship. The night you stayed - Halloween - is during one of our busier nights during Dark Harbor - our annual fright fest! We pack the ship filled with fright fans who might have a little bit too much fun at the bar;) Sometimes, when the ship can get really busy, some of our guests do experience some issues with noise - we have complementary ear plugs available at the front desk. The ship was made to be at sea - obviously - and with that came a lot of noise - wind, water, sea creatures, pumping engines etc - that would act as white noise and cancel out the sounds you would hear through our walls.

In regard to the bathroom, it sounds like you stayed in one of our original staterooms. The tubs in those do have an interesting angle to them. We are glad you got to experience what bathing was like during the ship's heyday!

We cannot wait to host you again very soon!