“Why not?”

Ranked #9 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
Bakersfield, California
“Why not?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Why not make your hotel stay a history tour? I loved it! We had a good room and a good sized bed. Sure, I will admit to a slight musty/dank smell pretty much throughout the ship. But - what do you expect from a boat??
You will not find updated, luxurious accommodations that you are probably used to when you check into most of your standard hotels. Everything has been preserved as close to period authentic as possible, I think. With the exception, of course, of fresh bedding and towels, etc.
Why not go for a truly unique and special experience? At least just for a night. We did and we were really interested and happy.
I took one official tour and I would recommend it if you have the time. The Queen Mary is said to be one of the "most haunted places in America". I wasn't 'haunted' but I did get a very eerie sensation in the "haunted" first class swimming pool area.
Be warned, however, that the Queen Mary is something like Disneyland. Every corner you turn provides you with another opportunity for you to part with your cash on a tour, a souvenir or a $7 bottle of water. I spent about 12 bucks on a general tour and I thought it was well worth it, but I also thought it was about all I needed to spend on the Queen Mary.
We didn't dine on the ship, but I did enjoy a good cup of coffee in the morning.
In my opinion, it is worth checking out. I think it's a bargain to stay here - especially if you need to stay in Long Beach or that part of the LA-area. Why not stay here and take in a little history at the same time?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
QM1938, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
kevinandlara –

Why not indeed. So glad you enjoyed your stay aboard the ship. A cup of coffee and stroll aboard the ship is a great way to start the morning!

-The Queen Mary Commodore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,862)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

The queen Mary hotel is a great place to stay after a long journey to LAX from UK, a bit of UK floating in LA, old world charm, excellent food and wine in the art deco bar, rooms are small but adequate considering how old they are. The ships tour is a must, lots of nostalgia.

Room Tip: the stateroom facing the harbour have a better view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Tarb –

So glad you got a taste of the UK …in LA…and enjoyed your stay.

Hey, why don't I just go eat some hay, make things out of clay, lay by the bay? I just may! What'd ya say?

Happy Gilmore flashback....because of the rhyming. In all seriousness, we are so glad you enjoyed your visit to the Queen Mary and we hope to see you again soon.

Ventura, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed on the Queen Mary 40 years ago on our wedding night so we are decidedly biased. The old girl is still fascinating. Our room was quite large, king bed and we opted to pay for the first class with a harbor view. The bed was very comfortable. There is no air but the port holes opened and we were very comfortable. The Queen is a little worn in places but then so are we. It is really the effect of staying in a room that may have housed a movie star from the 30's and trying to get the feel of a five day cross Atlantic trip. We loved it. Yes the bed was short sheeted. I hate this but the mattress appeared to be covered by another sheet so, OK. The base of the door was worn so the light shown through. We just imagined 70 years of the porters and bell boys kicking the door closed with their foot. You have to get into the ship to fully appreciate the stay. This is an experience. more than a hotel room.

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade. Think about it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CWS55 –

She does indeed! What a great place to spend your 40-year anniversary...what a great story. We’d love it if you log on to our facebook page and share your love story!

So glad you had such a great stay aboard the ship!

Vancouver, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I got one of the "recently renovated" king deluxe rooms. The bathtub had disgusting rust stains, there was not even a box of tissues in the room, there were only two outlets, and the bed was short sheeted on the bottom so the mattress was exposed and without even a mattress cover. I had to remake the bed which was already listing to the telephone side. Definitely a "shoes only" room!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Lee W
A TripAdvisor Member –

We are so sorry you did not enjoy your stay aboard the ship. Whenever you need anything, just call the front desk. Keep in mind the ship is 80 years old and historic in nature. We regularly keep up the maintenance of the ship…in fact, please go to our website and take a look at our preservation plan.

We do hope to see you again soon!

Monterey Park, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Most of the two days I spent were extraordinary; there were a few glitches. As mentioned by others, the history and decoration are very interesting. I did not take a formal tour, but heard a little as I wonderI ate in the Promenade Cafe, Starbucks, and Sir Winston's. The food in the Cafe was o.k., but but overpriced with service uncoordinated and very slow. My Starbuck's chef's salad had good quality lettuce, a good amount of meat and cheese, grape tomatoes was a good value at $7.50, and of course, quick. They also had a selection of sandwiches and fruit. At Sir Winstons both the service and food are outstanding. Erika, the hostess, had an obvious commitment to making my experience as good as could be, and she succeeded I wanted to eat in the lounge while I listened to the music, and while they usually have a limited menu in there, they were more than willing to accommodate me. Jennifer Hart was singing and playing piano that evening. She sang a variety of music, from show music of the '20's to Beatle's ballads. She was great.
I think the issue of noise has to do with who is there at the time. Both nights, a Thursday and a Friday, were very restful and quiet. That particular weekend the "big conference" was a dog show, with a couple of other business things. I live in a fairly quiet condominium community, but it was quieter than it usually is on a normal Friday night. I could hear people coming and going, but I was glad for the warning that the steel does echo because I expected worse.
I had the Bed and Breakfast package, which is a good value. On the down side, the price of the breakfast initially showed upon the bill. They did fix it when brought to their attention, but it seemed like a preventable,le. mistakes that happened by sloppiness.
The room was spotsless-not an easy task considering the historical features. I had a port side outside room. I am just under 5', so I could not have really seen the ocean out the porthole. I don't think I could have taken advantage of a Harbor view room, but if you are much taller,it might be.
Overall I had a very good time and plan to go back.

Room Tip: I recommend an outside room with a porthole. If you are on the short side, I don't think the e...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Brenda G
Brenda G –

Yes we had a dog show the weekend you stayed…glad to hear the pouches were quiet and allowed you to get proper rest and enjoy your stay aboard the ship. Glad you enjoyed our dining options – Sir Winston’s is an award winning restaurant and is certainly the best restaurant we offer.

We hope to see you again aboard the ship!

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I wish I could fine something positive to say. We booked a gueen bed - got a twin-sorry we can't change you out for 2days. Room has one bed and 2 chairs from a funeral home no place to sit. Thermostat in room is view only does not control a thing. You have to call desk to have maintance shut off a/c. The walls are the worst I've ever heard through, and I've stayed at some real dives. Staff is indifferent at best. All kids with no idea what running a hotel looks like. There is more but why bother they don't care and I would never go back.

I understand this hotel is owned by the city and it shows.

Room Tip: Someplace else
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mark k
Mark K –

Thank you for the feedback and yes we do care, we strive to make our guests stay the best it can be. No room is alike aboard the ship, some are classic, some are renovated, but definitely no furniture from a funeral home – but rather the two chairs from when the ship was still in use! It’s a trip back through time to see how the elite lived and traveled back during the ship’s golden era. We do offer ear plugs at the front desk to help for those that are having trouble sleeping.

The city does own the ship, but they recently brought in a new management company in Oct., 2011, that has been renovating the ship, opening new restaurants and bringing on new staff.

We hope you give us another try...if you do your next post would be called History Yes, Hotel Yes.

Mishawaka, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Plan on spending some time exploring the ship! We arrived a little after 5pm and by the time we checked in barely made the last tour at 6pm. Wish we could've done another tour since we had to leave early the next morning! If you stay on the ship do not buy tour tickets ahead of time! We found a groupon for the haunted tour and found out it would've been cheaper if we bought the tickets at check in as hotel guests.

FYI: Parking is $17. Also there are vents between the rooms where you can literally hear a normal conversation in the room next door. There are notes from hotel management explaining this. Supposedly when the ship was a working, the engine noise would drown out exterior noise. Unfortunately the sound carries.

It was a good place to stay for one night. Would not recommend an extended stay due to the noise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sunny10017
carjeko

Glad you enjoyed all of the history aboard the ship. We do offer groupon discounts from time to time, but being a hotel guest is still the cheapest way to enjoy our tours and attractions aboard the ship. And buying tickets ahead of time is actually recommended – our tours do sell out and the best way to ensure you get access to a tour is to buy in advance – you can also schedule our your stay a bit better as well if you have your tours locked in!

Glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon!