“Her Majesty, Queen Mary”
Review of The Queen Mary

The Queen Mary
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Alberta
“Her Majesty, Queen Mary”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had heard about her when we visited Anaheim a while back......
So as our family gets older we had to go to the only "park" we didn't make it to in our younger expeditions........wow awesome!
We had a few days to occupy in February, so we booked two nights with Queen Mary......The reviews of other peoples stays were all over good, not so good, bad, noisy, to quiet, all over the map so what the heck it's available and under a $100.00 a night, booked.
For all those people that book this hotel/museum and complain about needing updated carpets and bathrooms are missing something, go to your 5-star places and complain all you want we don't care........This is a ship finished in 1936 and carrying thousands of passengers, soldiers,and crew millions of miles......."THIS IS NOT CELEBRITY CRUISELINES PEOPLE"
Our stay was a wonderful enjoyable experience for all of us. From the pillow-top mattress, the absolute quiet of an inside room, the ambience of an amazing history, she is still majestical in her own right.
Yes the floors are uneven, yes the fixtures are old, the carpet is a little worn here and there, big deal. Go explore the upper decks, look at the craftsmanship in the handrail in the the stairs, how polished and smooth they are, check ot the engine rooms, go on a "spook" tour, because if all you have to do is complain "GO HOME"!
Food is okay, rooms are nice, decor is amazing, Thank you we will return.........

Room Tip: Inside rooms are very quiet, my wife and I were on one deck with the boys on another and no complain...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,938)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was our third time staying on board the ship, however, we do visit the Queen Mary for Sunday brunches when we are in LA and each time we have enjoyed it immensely, hence our frequent returns to the ship and the pleasure we have showing our family and friends around. Unfortunately this visit did have a few snags which we would like to bring to your attention as it has put us off revisiting in the future.

The bath in our room ‘444’ had rust stains around plughole and it looked as though the bath needs re-enamelling... (Paid for upgrade somewhat disappointed. I also booked ‘508’ for a friend who we brought along with us this time)

It would also be helpful to have tea and coffee facilities in the room as other hotels nowadays.

Free access to Wi-Fi would be nice to check airport time for international flights ’which is standard in most hotels now’.

Parking charges too high, this would put me off staying longer...or should be automatically added when booking room so travellers are able to budget better.

Sir Winston Churchill Restaurant staff was outstanding and the food was also of the same quality.

Wonderful hotels with lots character but lots of areas neglected with respect to servicing such as deck areas when staying in the hotel, it would be nice to be able to sit and relax on the sun deck and to have some umbrellas around the deckchairs which would help with both relaxation and comfort to enjoy the ships ambiance, it would also be an advantage to both guests and the hotel to be able to have refreshments on the sun deck area too and not just the inside decks, this would serve to enhance anyone’s stay as not everyone wants to walk the boards all day and night and would like to enjoy the outside areas too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Queen Mary is so amazing and I can't wait to return. My girlfriends and I stayed there February 17, 2013 and stayed in room M001. Let's just say what happened in our room surprised me and my friends. The room was amazing as we stayed in a King harbor suite with an extra room for a 3rd bed. We all fell asleep around 11:30 pm and I all of a sudden opened up my eyes at 12:56 am to the sight of seeing the main lights on in the room. I was stunned and looked over at my girlfriend and she was asleep and my other girlfriend was snoring in the other room, so it wasn't either of them. I woke up my girlfriend next to me and said "did you turn on the lights?" She said no, I said well somebody did. We then walked over to the light switch which was a push button and we tried to tap on it and make it come on thinking it had a short, but nothing happened. We decided to try and fall back asleep, but before then my friend told me that she had to turn the TV off 6 times because it kept coming on. After finally falling asleep again, I was awakened by my girlfriend tapping my shoulder and saying "The lights are on again!" I freaked! I looked at the time and it was now 5:56 am, again 4 minutes before the top of the hour. How crazy is that!!!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank TerrySargent
Mission Viejo, CA
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed two nights on the Queen Mary. We had a fantastic time! There's so much to see and do on the ship and even more in the surrounding area. Our standard room was clean, comfortable and larger than a standard room on a modern-day cruise ship. We loved how they've made an extra effort to maintain the original art deco decor. Upon first impression it could seem as if the room is old and outdated. Well, it is. But it's original and very well maintained. The extra large port holes were great for views and cool ocean breezes. Our bed was very comfortable. One problem you could encounter is noise from adjoining cabins due to thin walls. Because of this, they have a strictly enforced noise policy that includes being removed from the ship. We dined in several of the restaurants and found them to be better than we expected. They're well known for their Champagne Sunday Brunch in the exquisite Grand Salon. In talking with Lucy in Chelsea's Chowder House and Carlos in Sir Winston's Lounge, we discovered that the Queen Mary has a happy crew on board - many have been there for decades. One benefit of staying on board was the lack of crowds after 6pm when many of the day visitors disembark. We found several small museums on the ship that we've never encountered on afternoon visits. Parking is $17/day and day visitors can get that reduced to $5 with a validation from any of the restaurants or bars onboard. We ventured out during the day to the U.S.S. Iowa Battleship in San Pedro - only 15 minutes away. Way Cool! Next to the Queen Mary is Scorpion, a cold war-era Russian submarine that's open for tours. Within a short to moderate walking distance from the Queen Mary are the Aquarium of the Pacific (L.B. Aquarium), Shoreline Village and The Pike which provide visitors with a multitude of dining, shopping and entertainment options. Shoreline Village offers boating charters from fishing to dinner cruises. Ferry departures for Catalina Island are located at several locations around the Queen Mary. The AquaLink water taxi connects the ship to several key tourist destinations in the Long Beach Harbor. It's inexpensive and worth it just to go for a round trip boat ride. The Queen Mary is a great destination for out-of-towners or a staycation for locals. We'll be doing it again... sooner rather than later.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank carevealed
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My mom has always wanted to visit the Queen Mary when I was little but it was not in her pocket book with a family of six. So for birthday, this month, I booked a stateroom at the Queen Mary on March 4th for one night and we went to the "Diana: A Royal Exhibition" (which who she loves). She was very excited and told all her friends at the senior center. It was a great to see mom's face expression with excitement during the trip and I was happy to take her. Overall, the room was nice and not as small as I thought but our room was next door to the laundry and we could here the machines. The exhibit takes almost two hours to see the displays and we did not have time to eat at the The Tea Room $32 each, it closed at 6pm. Check in is at 4pm and we took the MTA rail ($1.50) and the Long Beach passport (free) to the Queen Mary. We arrived at 3pm and we were able to check in early and from there we went to the exhibit. We took the Long Beach Passport to downtown Long Beach for dinner. I would come again for the Tea Room and the champagne Sunday Brunch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 5, 2013

By chance we were going to drive down the Southern California coast and decided to stay on the Queen Mary. I had first sailed on her in 1963 then again with my husband in 1965. It was quite nostalgic seeing this beautiful ship again. She needed a coat of paint outside and the large awning outside detracted from her beauty. The welcome we had was excellent, perfect check in. Our state room was almost all original Art Deco, king sized bed, little bathroom, which could have done with a better clean. The bar with its beautiful Art Deco style was noisy , with some men smoking and service sadly lacking. It was far removed from the elegance of years gone by. Men wearing baseball caps women short shorts, I must be getting old!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a porthole, they are small but open.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MicheleColette
Sioux Falls, SD
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We spent two nights on the Queen Mary before leaving for a conference in downtown Los Angeles. Reaching the hotel was easy (GPS, and it can be seen for miles, and it's well marked with highway signs). Parking was easy. We got there very late (well after midnight, delays at LAX) but the check-in staff was very friendly and helpful. It was a lot of fun, lots of the old charm and grandeur still there, and our bed was incredibly comfortable. We slept like babies. Unfortunately the QM is getting tired, lots of the ship is off limits, and some portions are in desperate need of repair -- like the aft deck, and some of the lifeboats need to be renovated before they fall to pieces and hit somebody below. Breakfast in the Promenade restaurant was good, although badly overpriced. We did have dinner at Sir Winston's -- that was fantastic, impeccable service, excellent food, one of the highlights of our trip. Nothing shabby or tired about Sir Winston's.

Maintaining a ship that's pushing 80 years old, even permanently nailed to the pier, is incredibly expensive and I don't know how much longer the QM is going to last without another huge investment, but for now the stay was very fun. It's not a five star hotel, and it's been hacked and chopped and reconfigured to just a shadow of its former self through the years, but if you try real hard once in a while you can get some little flashback of 1936.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple