“Queen Mary - Grand Old Cruise Liner...”
Review of The Queen Mary

The Queen Mary
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights November 2012 on our way to Vegas via Highway 1. Wasnt my choice - was partners... and have to say - it wouldnt be my choice :o( but thats merely "my" opinion! although I do see why he picked to stay here, The grandure of this impressive ship the wood panneling throughout, In its day it was something special. Staff were very helpful & polite, location was good, took the courtesy shuttle bus down town to Long Beach shops. People are lovely and so friendly! We stayed in a delux twin room with porthole window overlooking Long Beach. very comfortable bed and quite a big room, we decided on the twin room as opposed to the double as the twin was bigger. Bathroom was a bit dissapointing the wallpaper had been poorly patched up- a 2" square piece just above the bath rim :o( the water pressure was fantastic - lovely full bath in no time. The only annoying thing was the heating system above my bed that made an intermittent rattling of pipes noise all the time. Would I stay here again? not really... but glad I had the experience of this grand old ship.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MARGIEWILDFIRE
There are newer reviews for The Queen Mary

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I've stayed on the Queen Mary three times, each in a single room. Twice I had an exterior room (with a view through a porthole), and once in the "middle", i.e. an interior room. All three were very plush and comfortable, with outstanding matresses, linens, and toiletries. If you reserve a room with a porthole, try to get a view of Long Beach if possible (facing north). My south-facing room looked out onto the parking lot and a gang plank.

My interior room was a bit dfferent. Though cheaper, I would NOT reserve one again becase they are very noisy. The hotel advertises these rooms as being better insulated from noise, and that may be true with regards to what's happening outside of the boat. However, the walls separating the room adjacent to me were paper thin. As such, I was treated to the sounds of my neighbors eating dinner, having sex, then watching TV until all hours one of the nights. The next guests in that room were no better. The female occupant woke up at 6:00 AM and had a long conversation with her bank about a credit card transaction in dispute. She was probably unaware that I heard here full name, date of birth, and credit card number as clear as day.

On a positive note, the interior rooms have no windows to allow light in, so you sleep in COMPLETE DARKNESS. This actually helps you achieve a more restful sleep (as long as your neightbors are quiet!)

Room service breakfast is very good, as I would expect from a hotel of this quality. I did not dine at any of the restaurants, as my schedule kept me busy until very late each night. Parking is in a secured lot, for $15 per day.

Beng able to walk around this luxurious ocean liner is to be transported back to an era of first-class travel. This ship is a beautiful masterpiece of Art Deco architecutre, one that must be seen in person. Travel time to downtown L.A. and LAX depends upon the time of day. Expect it to take at least an hour on a weekday morning, so leave yourself plenty of time if you have an early flight.

Given the choice between hotels with similar room rates, I would not stay at any other hotel in Los Angeles.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room (north side is better). STAY AWAY FROM INTERIOR ROOMS unless you bring goo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jason W
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have visited this wonderful ship before and this was the first time we decided to stay a couple nights. The staff are absolutely wonderful. Always willing to help with a smile. One Crew Member even walked us to an area we were looking for on the opposite side of the ship, she wanted to take us! We did take a couple tours and enjoyed them very much. Ate at two of the restaurants and was impressed. Very good food and plenty of places on board for souvenirs. We are already deciding when to stay again.

Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Bruce a A
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed on the Queen Mary for one night which just so happened to be the night before our cruise n the Carnival Splendor. It is a great location because we just had to walk across the parking lot to get to the check in area for our cruise. We were in the first group to get on the ship.
Our boys are fascinated with old ships so they loved staying on the Queen Mary and seeing the bridge, artifacts and decor. Our room was fantastic! We have 5 in our family so we had a large room with the maid's quarters attached. We ate in the dining room and the meal was delicious. We had a fantastic night on the Queen Mary!

Room Tip: There wasnt a pool or children's activities so it wasn't terrible just there is not a not ap...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had heard the Queen Mary was haunted, but didn’t take any notice. I wanted to experience staying on an old cruise liner and her history. This was something you couldn’t experience in NZ.

We had been in USA for 20 nights and this was our last night before flying back to New Zealand.

Arriving at the Hotel was a bit confusing as there weren’t any signs to guide you were to park. They had set the area near the Hotel up for Halloween, so maybe that caused confusing.

Anyway Valet parking was reasonably priced and we heading in the lift to reception. The whole décor of the ship is fantastic, from the carpet to the wood work. Most impressed.

Reception were friendly, but somehow we were booked twice, this caused a bit on confusion, but the Manager soon took over and allocated us a room. The room overlooked the sea thru two port hole windows. We had a huge king bed, and then thru a little hallway, a room with a single bed for our daughter, and a shower/bath with black and white tiled floor.

It was like stepping back in time. They had the old fans, the old fireplaces and the shelves with holes in to stop your drink spilling over when you were at sea!

The restaurants and bar area were set beautifully. The bar needed more staff as only one waiter and a lot of thirsty people.

There were 3 restaurants to choose from, and they had copied of the menus and prices in the foyer so you could decide prior to arriving. Our meal was lovely and the staff great.

After exploring the ship it was time to sleep. On arrival in our room earlier I couldn’t get the main lights to work, only the bed side lights. The lights are only a push switch, not a flick switch. I thought nothing of it, and thought maybe they were emergency lights. However, at midnight, the main lights turn on and lit the room up! My husband thought I had got up to go to the bathroom and turned them on, but I was sound asleep. Maybe the lights were jammed from when we arrived we thought!!! So we turned them off, and returned to sleep.

At 4.30 AM, the lights turned on again!! This time I was not convinced it was a faulty switch. I then thought I heard all sorts of noises and couldn’t wait until daylight.

Prior to breakfast I called at reception and they asked how our night was. I explained what happened; she asked what room we were in. She then got out a 2 page sheet of other reports over the years and yes our room was on there 3 times for the same thing.

After that, I just wanted to get off this ship! I felt all creepy.

It was a great experience and I would recommend the lovely hotel and its features to anyone. The history behind her is amazing and they have documented well over the ship.

Next time I would just visit…not stay. But it was incredible to experience going back in time.

Room Tip: Ask for the sea side view of the ship
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DebWB092
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We are classic boat people, so staying aboard the Queen Mary was extra special to us. This is a way to relax in comfort along the Long Beach waterfront, and experience a piece of history.

Staterooms are small but comfortable. Some restaurants remarkable. Sunday brunch in spectacular Grand Salon is not to be missed.

Room Tip: great way to combine history with a comfortable hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed 2 nights on the Queen Mary and relived a piece of history. Built in the 1930's and now retired. All orginal wood inside. It was a great place to stay.Rooms were the original decor.Several restaurants onboard and gift shops. you can tour the ship with someone or alone. A list of ghost sightings were available at the guest check in counter. I did hear something in the night but was scared to go out in the hall to find out what it was. Had a great time. Would go again.

Room Tip: Get a room with portholes so you can see outside facing the city. lots of beautiful lights at night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business