“Great stay even after left suitcase!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Long Beach
Ranked #6 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Riverside, California
“Great stay even after left suitcase!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I decided to go on a mini vacation and chose Long Beach because it was not to far from Riverside, CA and we wanted to visit the Aquarium. We arrived 2/19 between 2-3pm and found our room ready. We stayed 2 days in Room 921. The Lobby is very nice and our check-in was quite easy with the staff being very friendly and helpful. The desk clerk gave us a map of the area and told us where the best self parking was for our room. Self Parking is still at $17/day and Internet access is $9.95/day. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Liked the fact that we could open the window for fresh air. The TV was nice, with HBO, Current movies (still in theaters) available for a fee, also Account and Checkout Access via remote. Speaker phones, refrigerator, coffee machine, safe, ironing board and iron, hairdryer and bathroom amenities were welcomed. Restaurant seemed pricey and found it difficult to find fast food or grocery store without traveling to older part of town. We were hoping to grab the shuttle to the aquarium the following day to avoid more parking charges, but were told the shuttle would not return until after 3:30pm that day. We parked for $8 at the aquarium. Overall we had a great time even though the hotel is more fitting for business. Upon arriving home we discovered we had left a small suitcase in the closet. We called the hotel and left our number and were told that “lost and found” would be returning our call. A very nice woman from lost and found called us back promptly. She described our lost suitcase and informed us that we could have it mailed to us. After taking down our credit card info I asked her to mail it “regular mail” (hoping it will be less than the gas back and forth). So now I guess we'll wait and see. Will post again if there is a problem with the luggage return. Feeling like such a fool right now. Never left luggage before. Anyway I would highly recommend this hotel when visiting Long Beach!..........Vincent Russell

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonLBGM, General Manager at Hilton Long Beach, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Greetings. Thank you so much for such detailed review. I am glad you enjoyed your two-day stay with us. I have shared your comments with the folks at the front desk who really enjoy hearing that their hospitality efforts are being recognized. I am glad we were able to find and return your suitcase, please feel free to reach out in the event we may of any further assistance. And try not to feel too bad, folks leave stuff all the time, you are on vacation after all, enjoy! It was a pleasure being your home away from home and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future. Best Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Marina del Rey, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Evaluating strictly from a business stay perspective with HHonors Diamond perspective, meaning I don't care about things like valet, bell or concierge service but do care about a few other critical items.

Positives:

5. Speaker phone
6. Comfortable bed
7. Mini-fridge although not big enough for a week's worth of drinks and snacks

Negatives:

1. Unacceptable wireless network performance. Could not keep my Citrix/VPN sessions active for work without interruptions and/or freezing. Attained average speeds of 0.18 mbps (max 0.26) download with 0.02 mbps upload. I called support and they opened a ticket. I noticed a slight improvement within the next hour, but then the network sagged again. On the next day, the same thing. I resorted to using my backup mobile hot spot. If I didn't have a backup, I would have checked out on the first day as a reliable and fast connection is needed in my line of work as I connect to multiple remote domains for regular work and are on-call supporting critical clinical software at multiple hospitals during non-peak hours.
2. Parking fees of $17 for self parking
3. Road noise from the outside as the windows have poor noise insulation and have draft issues
4. Although there is a mini-fridge, there is no microwave
5. Although I appreciated a speaker phone option, the quality of the phone signal was average to poor with static and I had to disconnect with my client and use my cell phone
6. It's an older property that was likely at it's prime in the 90's so you may encounter a few annoyances, like facets that drip throughout the night in my case ... although the issue went away on the second night

Reason for the 2 stars ... in order of importance, the following are the three most important considerations to me as a business traveller and if a site has the word "executive" in it, I would expect it to tailor primarily to business clients.

1. Fast and reliable computer network
2. A speaker phone with a clear connection in case of poor cell quality in an area
3. A very quiet environment due to long work hours

• 4 of 5 bubbles
HiltonLBGM, General Manager at Hilton Long Beach, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Greetings. Thank you very much for your detailed review. I sincerely appreciate you mentioning that our team members are friendly and helpful, recognition like such means a lot to them and it does to me as well, thank you for that. We did install new carpets in a good number of rooms recently; I'm glad you noticed that and thank you for mentioning it as well. I am currently working on expanding our bandwidth for internet access; please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with that as I completely understand your position and its importance. I am sorry the parking fees were not explained at the time of making your reservation, our parking facilities are managed by a third party and we do our very best at staying competitive with the local hotels. I apologize for our brand not offering microwaves in our rooms however, for future purposes; we have a microwave available to all guests in the vending area of the third floor. Thank you again for your detailed review. Your HHonors Diamond Status is very important to me and I sincerely appreciate your loyalty to our brand and to our hotel. Warmest Regards.
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip a week ago. The location was great, just a short walk from the convention center. Only stayed one night but the accommodation was fantastic; one of the best I've stayed in. The front desk was efficient and extremely helpful. Both times I used the restaurant (breakfast and dinner) the food arrived quickly and was high quality. In the room, signs noted the in-state energy shortage and asked patrons to be conscious during their stay, which I greatly appreciated (as a person who tries to be energy-conscious normally). I had absolutely no complaints about this hotel and recommend it highly.

Cleanliness
Hello. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I really appreciate the fact that you consider our hotel to be one of the best you have stayed at. I have shared your kind comments with the members of the management team as well as with the team members I've come in contact with during my visits to the departments. Chef and Director of Front Office particularly said "thank you" for mentioning their areas as star performers. It was a pleasure having you as a valued guest of our hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Best Regards.
Santa Clarita, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed here for a convention that was going on in Long Beach. I have stayed at a Hilton hotel before and have always enjoyed my stay, but this Hilton was awful! The room was decent but the phone and fridge were not working. Then The complimentary shuttle is only available at certain times and the driver is always late. When we called the hotel to have the shuttle pick us up they told us 5 mins. The hotel was only 1 mile from the convention center. We called again after 15 mins and they told us once again that he was on his way and it would be 5 mins. After another 15 mins we called again and the front desk clerk got angry with us and claimed we were "harassing him" and hung up on us. We ended up taking a taxi after waiting in the cold at nighttime for 30 mins. The next day we were waiting for the shuttle again to take us to the convention center but it was full and they told us they could not do another trip and we were advised to take the bus across the street. The shuttle claims they run at 4-9pm, but the desk told us 5pm and that we would have to call. I would not advise you to stay here if you are planning to go to a convention! Horrible service!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our staff. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve upon the shuttle service we offer. Thank you once again for your comments. Warm regards.
Artesia, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Great service and excellent room. Hilton Long Beach provided a very enjoyable stay and the staff was more than helpful during my stay. The gift shop the bar and the fitness center were excellent and all the rooms were very clean. Security was beyond approach and you had to have your key to get to your floor and room. Great stay..

Room Tip: Higher floors provide a great view of the Port of Long Beach and Port of LA
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonLBGM, General Manager at Hilton Long Beach, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Greetings! Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy day to share your review. I am so glad to hear that our team members provided you with an enjoyable stay, I will share your comments with them. I will certainly share with the folks in housekeeping that you enjoyed your room too! It was a true pleasure having you as our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. From all of us at the Hilton, Best Regards!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

My son and I really enjoyed the room and the free breakfast (HHGold). It was close to the activities we had planned for the next day and while the parking was expensive, at least I didn't have to use the car to do what we needed to; so that saved us from paying for parking 2 or 3 times.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonLBGM, General Manager at Hilton Long Beach, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hello and thank you very much for your review. I am glad you had a nice stay at our hotel and that your room and breakfast were good for you and your son. It was a pleasure having you as a guest, your Hilton Honors Gold Member Status is very much appreciated! I will be sharing your comments with the folks in housekeeping, the kitchen and in the restaurant, thank you for taking the time to compliment the buffet and your room. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future. Warm Regards.
neillsville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Everything went well with check in through our checkout. They have a shuttle van we took to a grocery store. The driver was great and very helpful. Rooms were clean and food was good in the restaurant. The staff was very helpful answering questions and getting us a taxi.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HiltonLBGM, General Manager at Hilton Long Beach, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing this review of your most recent stay with us. I am glad our shuttle driver took great care of you; I have shared your comments with the Director of Front Office here at the hotel so that he can read your comments during his meetings with the team. I am also happy that your room was clean and that the food in the restaurant was good, back of the house recognition is often put to the side so I will be more than happy to share the recognition with them as I walk those departments. Your review means a lot to us, thank you for sharing and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel as valued guests soon. Best regards.