“Nice hotel, will be back”
Review of Hilton Long Beach

Hilton Long Beach
Ranked #6 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently for 3 nights, I chose it because of convenience, as the event I was attending was being held in the hotel.

I didn't arrive until about 10 PM, and I was checked in and up to my room in literally about 2 minutes, it was very quick. The front desk staff were very friendly, as were all the staff I encountered during my stay. I opened my room and this odd smell hit me right away--it honestly smelled like urine. I couldn't shake it, maybe it was just a strong smell of cleaner, but either way, that first night it didn't seem to go away. The next day that smell was gone, and after housekeeping was in there was a faint one of cleaner, but not as bad as when I first got to the room. The smells weren't good for someone like me who has asthma, bad sinus problems (which were bad that particular day) and allergies. That was really my only room complaint of my stay, though. The room was very nice and good size, king bed room 1031. It had the bed, a desk and chair, another chair with ottoman, dresser, nice flat screen TV, refrigerator, coffee pot. One thing I noticed the room didn't have was a safe, which I found odd.

I didn't use many of the hotel amenities. The pool is closed until March, and I didn't use the fitness center. I used the business center, briefly, which you need your room key to enter and then the doors lock behind you. Luckily, there was another woman in there with me, and a couple others came along, who showed us how to get out. I didn't use it anymore after that. I had my laptop, and they gave me complimentary WiFi because of being a HHonors member, but the connection was better on my Iphone than on my laptop. That could be from my laptop, could be the connection, I don't know. I went down to try the hotel restaurant for breakfast one morning, but didn't stay, as it was very expensive! I went in the gift shop a couple times also, which is also pricey, but most hotel gift shops are, so that was expected. The night I arrived, I was hungry, but didn't want to wait up for room service, so I thought I'd just get some snacks from the vending machines. The snack one on my floor only took change, then the drinks one the floor down wasn't even working, and the elevator kept taking me to the wrong floor when I tried to get to another floor to try another machine, so I gave up on it that first night. The elevator kept taking me to the lobby and not floor 8 like I was trying to get to!

Right outside of the side door is the World Trade Center, which had Jersey Mike subs, which was decently priced, and World Trade Cafe, also decently priced, there was also a couple other stores there, but overall, not much. If you wanted to find other restaurants, it was about a 10-15 min walk to a Chili's, Gladstone's, PF Chang's, Outback Steakhouse, Famous Dave's BBQ and a few others, they were all down by the harbor by the Aquarium of the Pacific. That is the same distance to walk, and it's a safe walk, and also not much further is the shopping/restaurant areas of Shoreline Village, and The Pike. I went to all of these attractions, I didn't go to the Queen Mary, as I had been there before, but that you could also walk to in about the same amount of time. The hotel had a shuttle, but they never mentioned it to me, so I don't know where it went exactly? I just saw it out front of the hotel. Cabs can be called and they arrive quickly, if they aren't out front of the hotel already. I didn't have a car, so I inquired at the front desk how much a cab would cost me to go to Disneyland. I got 3 different answers from 3 different desk clerks, and then a 4th different answer from a cab driver. I got quoted $45, $65, $52-$60 (3rd desk clerk, she called the cab company with me right there) and then the cab driver said $65-$70. I said forget it, too much for each way and then the cost of a park ticket. So basically if you want to leave Long Beach and you don't have a car, you'll be paying a lot to get anywhere. You can use public transportation to get there, but it's multiple changes and takes about 2-2 1/2 hrs per the 2nd desk clerk I talked to (which I figured, based on research I did before my trip).The desk clerks should all be on the same page with their information, and please make sure it's correct, as they could really mislead guests! The Cab rate from Long Beach Airport, which is where I flew into, was a flat rate of $23, going back he ran the meter and it came out to $26 and some change. They do have flat rates to LAX and John Wayne Airport also, but I don't know what they are.

Overall, it was a nice hotel and I was happy with my stay. The event I attended is held annually at the hotel, so I will likely be returning for the convenience. I think next time I may do a split stay between Long Beach and Anaheim though, so I can do other things, as the attractions in Long Beach, once is enough to see them.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
HLBConcierge, General Manager at Hilton Long Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments with us. We are trying some new less pungent products for cleaning and deodorizing the rooms and appreciate your observations, During your next stay with us please let us know and we will put a deionizer in the room for you if you should desire.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

This is not a hotel that I would ever stay at again. It was very convenient to where I was going but, not worth it. The room was smelly, bed was awful, carpet filthy. Just gross all the way around. Nothing good I can say on this one except the location was great for my needs.

Room Tip: You are on your own if you stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank V B

Dear V B, Thank you for your comments and my sincere appologies for not having met your expectatiosn during your stay. We are in the process of replacing carpet in over 140 of our rooms and suites as well as various other capital projects to improve our hotel and facilities to our guests. Please, during your next visit to Long Beach would you contact me and be our guest for the evening and give us the opportunity to show you the improvements we have made which i am sure will make you extremely happy.

Reviewed February 15, 2012

We stayed two nights the Hilton Long Beach when we drove from Victoria, BC to San Diego. It was the dirtiest hotel I have ever seen. To start off, our whole floor and room smelled like old cigar smoke. The carpet was stained so bad that I didn't want to take my shoes off. The one and only up side was that when we showed up late on the second night the parkade for the hotel was full. But they let us park in the valet parking for free.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IslandDrifter23

Good Morning and please accept our sincerest appologies for the experience you had with us which is in no way indicative of what we strive to deloiver to our guests. We have multiple projects starting this month along with one of them being the removal and replacement of carpeting in 150 of our guest rooms and suites. On your next trip to California please consider us as your hotel of choice to show you what we are capable of and if you are unhappy we will pay for the nights accomodation.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

We overnighted at the Hilton Long Beach after a Carnival Cruise. Hotel is close to many restaurants, shopping, and attractions in Long Beach. Easy walking distance to the Aquarium of the Pacific. The room was large, clean, and comfortable. A continental breakfast was included in our package and it was pretty good. The hotel restaurant and gift shop are pricey as are most. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Kudos to them for helping us find our way around the area. They offer a free shuttle which could be very useful although we didn't need to use it. High Speed Internet is NOT high speed so even something as simple as checking in for your flight is a bit of a chore. Also note that the pool is out of service until March which was kind of a bummer for the kids. However, I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Become and HH Honors member for some complimentary upgrades (like HSIA)
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for the review and for recognizing our staff who do their very best when you are away from home to make you feel like this is your home away from home... We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Mike

Reviewed February 7, 2012

I spent 4 nights at the Hilton, Long Beach, and had a pleasant stay. My deluxe king room was spacious and had windows on three sides and a small balcony. Service was excellent, with them bringing room service, or extra pillows and a blanket without delay. Room service food was also pretty decent. Staff at the front desk and in the restaurant was always pleasant and friendly. I chose a deal that came with a choice of 3 perks. I chose free parking, free breakfast, and free movies -- so it was fun not being nickle and dimed. They also put 2 free bottles of water in the room daily, and that was a nice touch. Windows could've been a smidge cleaner, but there was a lot of construction in the neighborhood. The hotel was 2 blocks from the court, so it was ideal for my purposes.

Room Tip: The rooms to the south have the best views, becqus you can see the harbor and the cruise ships copmi...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Don322
HLBConcierge, General Manager at Hilton Long Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2012

Don322,
Thank you so much for the comments and for giving us the opportunity to be part of your vacation. The team really appreciated your comments and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 28, 2012

Decided to stay a night before the cruise. Booked a double but when arrived, they said that they ran out of double rooms and only had handicapped rooms. Asked for a roll-away bed and it was delivered quickly, but...the mattress looked to be 10 years old, very nasty. The bathrooms are old and could use remodeling.

The most shocking surprise was the food. Went to hotel restaurant and the prices definitely don't match the quality of food. Very, very expensive and mediocre meal. Alcohol prices through the roof, the alcohol on the cruise was 3 times cheaper. The only thing that's left of "Hilton" in the menu is the price!

Good location, close to port for those who plan on spending some time before the cruise.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ag2rsdft5

it is with disapointment that I read your comments and how the stay did not meet your expectations, please accept my appologies. We do our best to price ourselves competitevly with the market and on reading your comments have done an updated shop of hotels in the area to make sure we have parody and in some cases found our prices to be lower than competitors. Our Happy Hour pricing and specials are new and will be rolled out in March to everyone that we have the pleasure of welcoming through our doors and hope that we will be able to welcome you back again also. In walking the room you were in and reviewing your comments we are making sure that all our products are changed and kept up to the highest standards and changing out any items such as a mattress should it be less than unacceptable to our guests.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

Quiet hotel within walking distance to South Pine which is the restaurant district. Dining room is expensive but there is a coffee shop right next door in the World Trade Center where you can get breakfast. Cost of taxi to the cruise center is approx $20.00

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments and from all of us at the Hilton we all hope that you had a great cruise and will join us again soon.