“Great stay, very recommend-able”

Hyatt Regency Long Beach
Ranked #2 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed May 23, 2013

While I rarely stray from my main hotel points account, the Hyatt Regency Long Beach has a lot going for it. They have a very - almost unusually - friendly staff who seem genuinely happy to help even when overwhelmed by a large and demanding convention. The rooms are lovely, comfortable, clean and quiet with some outstanding views on higher floors. The food options are meh, but with the location so close to so many places in Long Beach it doesn't particularly matter unless you have to eat in the hotel in which case the speed of service might be an issue. I look forward to returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: higher floors have excellent views; harbor views are nice.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Kristin K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Long Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience in the hotel and had such great interactions with our associates. We have passed your feedback about your dining experience to our team to review.
Kristin K.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,611)

Reviewed May 21, 2013

What a great location. We stayed in a Harbor View room and had fantastic views of the harbor and beach. Great friendly staff. Nikky at the front desk was most helpful and recommended a local restaurant which was just fantastic. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Harbor view room had fantastic views of Harbor and beach.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay. We have passed you kind words on to Nikky!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Arrived here to spend celebrate my birthday and well, in the end I would have chosen another hotel because of the mediocre experience and runaround I got upon checking in. I even joined the rewards program thinking that the Hyatt might be the chain for me. After this experience I'll probably continue to go with boutique hotels from now on (I believe the Varden in downtown Long Beach is the place to be).

Check-in runaround:
First checked in and asked if there were any suites available for upgrade- they said the only suites available were King beds and since my preference was double beds we declined. We got to our room which was right next to the elevator and we could hear everything. So I went downstairs to switch rooms. I spent about 10 minutes downstairs with the front desk trying to get me a room, she went in the back to ask some manager with more authority I assume to put me in some rooms which needed their permission (I got the notion that these seemed to be more 'special' and blocked off for more important guests). I said as long as I had a harbor view it would be great, and I would be willing to go to a suite/King if that was easier. She returned and said they magically didn't have suites anyway (questionable especially since that's what I was first offered). Then when she finally had my room, it was accidentally given to the couple next to me..again she went to the back to speak with what I assume was a manager (that I never saw or spoke to in person), and finally got a room double beds harbor view. It was a good room, but that runaround, secretiveness around what could be given to us and couldn't, and the manager in the back that I never talked to in-person...definitely doesn't leave a good taste in your mouth/first impression. If there are any business folks out there...you know what I mean when I say..."just give 'em the pickle!"

Local Call Charge
I was charged $1 for a local call. Okay, I'm complaining about a dollar but... its more about principle. I didn't see this charge until I got home and looked at my itemized bill. I remember this specific call where the clerk automatically transferred me and never told me about the charge.

Housekeeping in the AM even WITH the sign on the door
So we definitely put the "privacy" sign on the door, and both mornings during our stay, we were woken up by housekeeping knocking and slightly opening the door before we told them in our sleepy voices "no thank you." This has never happened to me anywhere else, I'm assuming it might be because we switched rooms when we first checked in and they did not put it in their records??

Positives
Clean room, you can tell the remodel was done really well. The bar staff and housekeeping staff were very diligent and friendly.

Room Tip: Harbor View is the place to be
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry that your check in process was a bit challenging and for any inconvenience this caused during your stay. We do appreciate you sharing this so we can further train our associates and review these situations.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Spent the weekend and first time in Long Beach. The hotel is very nice. Arrived and easily found self parking. Staff was gracious and friendly. Everyone I came across said hello. The hotel is located across the street from the waterfront. Lots of restaurants and activity! Aquarium is near and the hotel has views of the water and the Queen Mary. A great weekend getaway.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, it sounds like you had a great weekend away and were able to enjoy the local attractions! Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Nice and very clean room. Staff is very friendly and helpful. My 2 problems with this hotel is (a) a hold is placed on your debit/credit card for $50 per day of your stay, and (b) no refrigerator in the room.
My company sent me to Long Beach and paid for the room by credit card. I stayed for 4 nights. I was not told until I checked in that the hotel needed my card and placed a hold on $200. The $200 was not released until the next business day after I checked out. This severely depleted my funds for the week. For this reason alone, I will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay. Your experience with the hold on your card must have been very frustrating and challenging for you, we are very sorry for any inconvenience.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Hyatt Regency Long Beach is located adjacent to the Long Beach Convention Center, and I would classify it for as a business/conventioneer hotel.

As you enter the hotel, the lobby opens up into a large airy space. The lobby is rather large, with a bar, and coffee/pastry shop.

The front desk is straight ahead, and is a long desk rather than kiosks which are prevalent in many hotels now.

Check-in was quick and proficient. Hyatt Diamond amenities were clearly explained. The Regency Club closes somewhat early at 9:00 PM. Since I arrived after the Regency Club had closed, I inquired about getting a couple of bottles of water, and was told to just have the bottles in the room and those would be taken off the bill. Surely enough, no extra charge for the in-room bottles of water did not show up. Big points!

I was given a room on the Regency Club floor. The Regency Club has a large glass window and door, and appeared fairly spacious when walking by.

Upon entering the room, there is an interesting sculpture to hold your keys. There is an acrylic hand coming out of the wall. Creepy or cool, you decide?

The bathroom is to the right. There is a large sink with ample counter space. The bathroom is somewhat cramped. There is a shower/tub combo. The tub is actually very wide compared to most hotels. Water temperature was excellent however water pressure was sort of low.

There is a small dividing wall between the bathroom and the rest of the room.

The room isn’t huge, but doesn’t feel cramped either.

There is a small desk that is somewhat small. Although functional, if you needed a lot of desk space this would be a challenge. There are many outlets which are easily accessible and appreciated.

There is a small sitting area.

The bed is comfortable, and plenty pillows are provided. The night stand has two great features. The first is that outlets are right next to the bed, which many hotels do not have. Second, there is a motion sensor night light at the bottom of the dresser which is an ingenious idea. Although most people could navigate their own house in the dark, in a hotel room that poses a bigger challenge.

The Regency Club has two computers for use. The club isn’t all that big but there is ample seating, with views of the bay.

There are no hot options for breakfast, with the exception of instant oatmeal. This is a try continental breakfast, which includes fruit, cereal, bread, bagels, muffins, hard boiled eggs and smoked salmon. The club attendant is very friendly and helpful, making conversation with every guest and clearing dishes quickly.

Overall, this was a very good stay and would consider this property again if in the area.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay, we greatly appreciate your taking the time to outline your room and experience. This is very helpful for our staff.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

There is so much to do right at this hotel. There is a comedy club, movie theater, and dueling piano bar directly across the street. The convention center is next door attached by a walkway. Pine Street is filled on both sides up and down the street by restaurants and shops. There is a walking bridge over to a "village" of touristy shops and restaurants. We had drinks and danced to a live band over there until after midnight at Shenanigans Pub. There is something across the street with a ferris wheel but we didn't get over there to see what all was there. The hotel itself is gorgeous and elegant. The rooms were large and ultra modern in decor. We had the cheaper city view room. The view was a grassy knoll surrounding a man made lake with the aquarium (another place to walk to) and its sea animal muraled walls. What a nice view for the cheaper rate. The onsite restaurant and bar offered great service. The food was excellent in the Tides Restaurant. The bar was open until 1:00 or 1:30 am. The pool bar also offered bar and food service. I wasn't thrilled with the tuna sandwiches or chips and salsa from the pool bar menu. Neither had any flavor. My husband and I always choose weekend destinations by how much there is to do within walking distance from the hotel. We are already planning a return trip to this hotel as soon as we can arrange it. There was so much we didn't get to see or do.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings,
Thank you for your review, it sounds like you and your husband really took advantage of the local area and got to enjoy everything Long Beach has to offer. Looking forward to having you visit again!