“Scenic and Comfortable”

Hyatt Regency Long Beach
Ranked #1 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This Hyatt located near the water in Long Beach is very comfortable. We had a harbor view room and it was well worth it - looking out at the Queen Mary, which is also worth a visit. The staff were very helpful. The restaurant, ``Tides'', was great for breakfast and nice for dinner. In addition to the great view, the room was large and comfortable, also very modern. We were there for a meeting at the convention center, and this is the hotel to be in for anything at the convention center - it is literally steps away.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Kristin K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Long Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you for your recent review, we are so glad that you enjoyed your Harbor View Room and dining in Tides Restaurant. Hope to have you visit again!

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have stayed at a good number of motels and hotels in North America over the years, but the Hyatt Regency – Long Beach is now among my top five.

The hotel is situated within a masterpiece of urban redevelopment. It’s connected to a major convention center; a vast, energetic entertainment district with something for everyone (families, couples, and singles) flanks it on two other sides. If you’re looking for something to do, you can keep your car parked as most or nearly all of the surrounding areas can be easily and safely reached by foot. The property itself is framed by a sizeable pond with a walking paths and bridges. The old downtown, the beach, and parks with scenic vistas of the harbor are not too far away, either. The entire area seemed safe, even late at night.

Inside, the multi-tiered public areas are visually-complex and attractive; it’s lively without being obnoxious or loud.

The restaurant was better-than-average. On the mornings I was there, the service was quick and attentive. The foods ordered from the menu and from the self-serve breakfast buffet were both excellent, albeit with big-city/fancy-hotel prices.

My guestroom was large, spotlessly clean, beautifully appointed, and downright serene. (Yes, the glowing hand-with-the-apple thing is a bit weird, but it makes for a great indirect nightlight!) Even though I didn’t get the “harborview” rooms that other reviewers tout, the view of the city and the beach that I had was captivating. Check-in and check-out were a breeze; the front desk staff is top-notch. The elevators between the lobby and my upper-level floor required only very short waits and were fast.

I can only think of two minor negatives: First, the pond surrounding the property seems to have a permanent homeless population at night. I walked around the pond on several nights to unwind. The paths are only modestly-lit and small groups of homeless folks are camped out on most of the benches. They seemed harmless to me, but some individuals might feel a bit uncomfortable going out there after dark. Second, the hike between the parking garage and the lobby seems a bit longer than average for a typical big-city hotel, but I imagine most guests won’t need their cars much after they’ve arrived.

Room Tip: Upper floors provide excellent views
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank GOGraffer

Greetings,
Thank you for your recent review, we very much appreciate your comments and feedback. We hope to have you visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Room was spacious and had a great view of the marina and beach at no additional charge. Great hotel for the $$$. Walked across the bridge and had lots of dining options. Perfect for a quick getaway. Valet parking was quick and easy.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kristin K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Long Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of our location. We hope to see you again soon!
Kristin

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Terrific location with a nice property and excellent customer service. Was on business and really liked being next to the convention center. Food and Beverage was very good and prices very reasonable.

1  Thank ed_conwayCornvilleAZ

Thank you for your recent review, we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, we hope to have you visit us again!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I spent a night in this nice hotel. The hotel complex itself is huge and has a pretty standard setup with a large lobby, a Starbucks take away restaurant, and a bar. Nothing special. But the room was great. Very clean and all new. It must have been refurbished recently. More important, sleep quality was great and it was very quiet. I would definitely go back there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Kristin K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Long Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope to have you stay again should your travels bring you back to Long Beach.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

First, let me note that the Long Beach harbor area and entertainment/dining/retail district is a fun destination with plenty of things to do. It is picturesque and romantic and a worthwhile destination for a weekend getaway, or longer. The Hyatt Regency is ideally located for you to easily enjoy all the best of this locale.
There is much to recommend this hotel, and that is why, even though I will list several specific criticisms, we're still going to give it a four-star recommendation and rating.
We stayed here as exhibitors in the LA Travel & Adventure Show that takes place in the Long Beach Convention Center, literally connected to the hotel. Though the Hyatt may not be as inexpensive as some other Long Beach hotels, if you are participating in an activity at the convention center, it can't be beat for convenience. The online check-in went smoothly, though the printed bar code check-in that I tried to scan at the hotel wouldn't register. Not that that proved to be a problem. Melissa at the front desk promptly and professionally took care of check-in and parking and got me on my way. She apologized that my room was on the lobby floor and not higher with a better view (I booked online months in advance so why I didn't get a better room, I couldn't say as others I knew who booked later got rooms with better views). Ultimately, my room was conveniently located for the purpose of my stay and had a very nice view of an inlet and the Long Beach Aquarium. Which brings me to my first criticism.....
If you are going to offer your guests stunning views of the area surrounding your hotel, WASH THE WINDOWS. My window was spotted over heavily, making it hard to really enjoy the view I did have. On top of this, there were smear marks across the window on the inside where previous guests had presumably tried to improve the view as best they could. Oddly, nobody in housekeeping had cleaned the windows from the inside to remove these smearings, which leads to criticism #2: room cleanliness.
Hyatt is trying to be cool and differentiate themselves from their competition, and sometimes they succeed. Their door locks where you wave your card over the doorknob for entry is a great improvement to sliding card entries. But when I opened my door, I was greeted by a ghostly frosted lucite-looking hand holding an apple, inset into the opposite wall and lit with a small spotlight. OK, I can deal with the spirits from beyond offering fruit, but then I noticed what looked like hot glue residue that had gunked down the thumb, and hanging from the fingers, a hair and some cobwebby looking material. Someone told me the apple was real and was for us to eat, and someone else told me it was fake. I wasn't about to try to find out as I was disgusted by the fact that the hotel was going to spotlight something like this and then housekeeping wasn't even going to clean it. Especially when it represents a food item, I find it absolutely intolerable that housekeeping can see it lit up and walks right by it every time they clean the room (the hair and cobwebs remained hanging from the hand during the entirety of my stay, so I know it was not a fluke). On the desk, what appeared to be a coffee stain also remained during the duration of my stay.
When I pay $169 plus tax plus $18 per day for parking, I think there should be some attention to detail by the staff. Working in the hospitality industry and media, I believe at that price point, your customer should not EVER feel disgusted, repulsed, or annoyed by your facility or staff.
But then I ordered room service breakfast. The Hyatt offers a checklist card you can hang on your doorknob in the evening to get breakfast brought to your room in the morning. I made my overpriced selections of coffee and meal, and specified delivery between 7 and 7:30 a.m. the next morning. Room service has a hefty 21% added to it, along with a $3 delivery charge, making this one of the most expensive meals in the neighborhood.
At 7:40 a.m., I began wondering if perhaps someone had taken the card from my doorknob during the night, or if it got lost. At 7:45 a.m., I called room service. A busy-sounding, almost annoyed sounding employee informed me my breakfast was on its way up. No apology for being late, no call to tell me it would be late, no discount for not delivering on time, nada. Luckily, the breakfast was still warm and was excellent, as was the $7 (plus fees) coffee, and the employee delivering the breakfast was pleasant.
Another of our crew noted she had also ordered room service breakfast, which arrived very late without the coffee that had been ordered, and with the food cold. This, coupled with our experience in the lobby bar on Saturday evening when we could not get table service at all and finally the four of us grabbed seats at the bar just to get a nightcap and talk for a bit (they also pour very short glasses of wine in glasses that emphasize you are not receiving a very generous pour), left me wondering if management was not to blame for understaffing food service at the hotel. It seemed that the staff that was working was doing all they could do to care for customers, but they just couldn't keep up with a full hotel. Again, that's inexcuseable for a hotel at this level.
And the hotel was full - with young women from elementary age through high school on dance teams who practiced in the halls and lobby and any spare place they could find. This made it amusing to try to get to your room by walking through dance routines, but I didn't mind it as they were so focused and far more graceful than I could ever hope to be.
The last point of criticism was the parking garage. Ugly, drab, industrial, and dirty (I walked repeatedly by a piece of toilet paper and other trash that greeting me Friday through Sunday without fail), for those of us who self-parked our vehicles, that garage is a horrific first impression for visitors. I wound up finally finding a space in a corner of the garage where the only nearby hotel acess was up a dingy staircase. Security was visible, but please be vigilant if you use this garage as it does not feel safe.
While I am listing these criticisms I would like to emphasize that while the Hyatt had a bit of the feel of the hotel running the staff and not the other way around, there are quite a few very nice amenities available for guests. Just be prepared to pay extra for most of them. While almost every hotel I've been at over the past couple of years has offered free Wi-Fi, the plans here look more like you're making car payments. (OK, a slight exaggeration...) I would like to see the Hyatt here reach its potential of being a true world class destination hotel (it has the potential to not just be good, but fantastic), and yes, if we exhibit at next year's travel show, we'll be booking rooms here once again (and maybe even before then since the area has so many fun things to do).

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. Try to get a harbor view room if possible, for a view of the Queen...
1  Thank TheSunRunnerMagazine

Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we very much appreciate your detailed feedback. We have passed your review on to our team for future reference. We hope to have you stay with us again next year!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Wow, Long Beach harbor area is a great place to visit, lots of things to see and do, moderately priced restaurants and cafes. The Hyatt is surely the most convenient hotel to the convention center - about 50 feet door-to-door. The room appeared newly remodeled with excellent quality appointments. The electronics are carefully thought out and implemented - I used an hdmi cable to show a movie from my computer on the large flat-screen. The view on the harbor is sensational and I watched the arrival of dawn every day for a week - I paid a $20/day surcharge for the harbor side - go for it! The bathroom was shiny and impeccable - the shower faucet gave such exceptional control I can't help mentioning it - it shows real attention to functionality. Oddly, there were no towel rods, or space for them, so 2 of the 6 hangars in the closet became in-closet towel rods. The sink is one of those flat-bottomed industrial style tubs that sits on top of the vanity - really stupid, but I understand it is the in-thing. The $18 parking fee was in line with the area. From the parking lot, the only access to the rooms is across the main lobby floor - uncomfortable for us families that travel with assorted sacks of stuff. There were lots of luggage carts sitting around unused, but guests are not allowed to touch them - liability concerns! l find it annoying that paying the basic internet fee ($10/day) doesn't let my wife and I both use the internet with our separate laptops. The staff was uniformly friendly and helpful and addressed our few needs with sympathy and patience. There is some attention to eco concerns - good recycling stations. I will stay here again when working at the convention center.

Room Tip: The harbor view in the changing light is super - unless you are a mole, pay the supplement for a har...
1  Thank Fringe_Gatherer

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay, we very much appreciate your review!