“Perfect overnight prior to a cruise”
Review of Hotel Current

Hotel Current
Ranked #16 of 55 Hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Perfect overnight prior to a cruise”
Reviewed November 18, 2010

We arrived the night before our cruise and were very happy that we chose this hotel. I had requested a refurbished room ahead of time and was given one overlooking the pool. The grounds are very tropical around the pool and the pool area is very clean with nice chairs and cabanas around. The pool was heated and was pretty warm considering it was November. There is an on site restaurant but from what I had read it was $30+ per person and my family of 4 didn't want to plop down $120 for a meal at that point. We walked less than a half a block down the street from the hotel to Di Piazza. It is in a little strip mall just down the street. MAYBE a 4 minute walk. It is a very querky little pizza joint that serves a little of everything. We had a pizza that was good, a bacon cheesebuger that was good, a savory chicken salad that was really good, and some $3 draft beers. They had live bands playing the night we were there.

The rooms were very updated and modern. Not the largest room I have been in, and the beds are doubles rather than queens, but it was very comfortable for the 4 of us.

They shuttle you to the pier and let you keep your car there the entire week. It was $115 to park at the pier for the week, and we paid $119 for the room AND parking. No brainer.

They give you access to a health club that is about a half mile down the road. The shuttle bus will also drop you off there. It is a full service place. Swimming pool, several levels, full locker room facilities etc. You can use this FREE for one day. I went down there to run a bit on the treadmill. It was VERY hot on the third floor where these machines were. Had to quit after a couple of miles. I elected to just run back to the hotel rather than call for the shuttle.

We were on the Carnival Splendor that was stranded out at sea so we arrived on Thursday rather than our planned Sunday, but the shuttle was very quick to arrive anyway. (the cruise is a whole other story!.....ha ha...actually, Carnival did a good job with what they had to work with) Drivers both to and from the pier were very nice.

I don't know what the "old" rooms look like, but there are still some that are not refurbished according to the front desk. I would ask for a refurbished room when making the reservation.

There is a golf course across the street. Didn't look like anything fancy, kind of your typical public course.

If you plan on taking a cruise out of Long Beach, I totally recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We have stayed at this place two times. The first time was a year ago and the differance between then and now is remarkable. The staff was very helpful and pleasent. The remodeling has made a great differance. The price was very right. We were going on a cruise for seven days and we were allowed to leave our car parked on site and provided a shuttle service to and from the cruise terminal. The drivers were very efficent and pleasent. The pool was clean and sparkeling. The resturant on site seems quite popular with local patrons. Am planning to go back there the next cruise out of Long Beach or San Pedro.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank hgr6969
Santa Fe Springs, California
Reviewed October 29, 2010

The lobby at this hotel is chic and beautiful. The pool is nice and the lounge area is great! I got my bags and started walking toward my room and I was greeted by Wayne, the manager, whom escorted me to my room. He made sure the room was to my liking and told me to call the lobby if I needed anything. Excellent service and hospitality. The King Sized bed was super comfy! The bathroom was luxurious, everything about our stay was perfect. Great service, price, location, amenities. Will definately be staying here again and recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nightmarelover
Pomona, California
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I stayed at Hotel Current in the standard room for 85 dollars a night. Nice check in and front desk area, but the room barely met minimum expectations. AC/heating unit was annoying as it blew right over the bed. It was difficult to adjust the temperature so it constantly blew. Mattress was uncomfortable and too firm. Bathroom was adequate with clean interior. There was ample parking. I would give this hotel a solid "C+."

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank 32911Relaxing61
Cambria, California
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We have stayed at the Hotel Current (formerly The Guest House) several times. We have enjoyed every visit. This visit we were especially pleased with the newly remodeled rooms.

I do have one suggestion - a waste paper basket needs to be placed in the bathroom. This is the first hotel that we have stayed in that did not have a waste basket in the bathroom. I think that a hotel should look at it from a repair stand point. If you do not have a waste basket in the bathroom, it is my feeling that you will more likely have a higher rate in plumbing repairs.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JPudas
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 6, 2010

My company recently signed up with this hotel. They are currently going under renovation. The place is definitely making it's way to the top. Front desk staffs are amazing including Lisa and John. They both helped me throughout my stays. Made everything easy and relaxing. Highly recommended to anyone is traveling on business or vacation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank TJNO1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2010

My son and I travelled to Long Beach from UK as he was starting as a student at CSULB. We had not visited California before, arrived late but received a warm welcome in the magnificent lobby. We shared a twin room, which was basic but clean with comfortable beds, although next time I will try to book one of the newly refurbished rooms. The complementary breakfast was fine for us, and the were staff helpful in giving us directions to the University, which is nearby, and other places we needed to get to. The hotel as perfect for our needs, and when I had to return to UK my son was settled and the staff welcomed him to stay until he could move into his University accomodation a few days later. The staff helped him by taking his luggage there for him in the hotel shuttle. We chose to eat at Picarellis, an Italian restaurant at the crossroads, and were welcomed into the local crowd there. At the end of our stay we really felt more like local residents than visitors. I left my credit card bill open when I left, to pay for my sons extra stay, and the charge to my account was exactly as I expected. A brilliant hotel, I can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family