“Hidden Gem”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Five adults and six children and three rooms! Loved the modern room decor and Iphone docking station. The shower was a wonderful surprise! Hotel staff was very accommodating. The shuttle drivers were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was hot, tasty, plentiful, and free!

Room Tip: no elevator to second floor. rooms away from highway are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 31, 2014

When the shuttle pulled in I was a little worried. Once I got to my room, I was very pleasantly surprised. This was an overnight, all by myself, get away from it all journey - so I was looking for a safe haven and a place to relax.

Every contact I had with employees there was very positive and the customer service was outstanding and they were very helpful. The only complaint I would have was trying to contact the desk via the phone. I was trying to schedule the shuttle to the airport. The first time I called, the person answering picked up and hung up without saying a word. The next two times I called the line rang and rang and there was no answer. I was finally able to get through the fourth time. This process took about an hour to complete.

The outside looks like it may have been a Howard Johnson's at one time. The rooms have been transformed into a pretty cool ultra modern area. I enjoyed the room very much. I loved the sliding barn doors in the bathroom area, the awesome sink and the walk in shower.

The pool area was nice. It had plenty of shaded areas or sunny areas, whatever your desire. The pool was nice. I was a little worried at first, there were alot of floaties in the pool. Then I realized that it was the trees that were kind of losing their funny leaves into the water.

I really enjoyed that they had a shuttle service. I only used it to go the hotel and back to the Long Beach Airport. But, the driver was great.

Finally, breakfast - I was not really impressed. But, the variety was good and I'm sure anyone could find something to eat.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Pendleton
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We where very pleased with the staff and room at the Current in Long Beach. The hotel offers a plan where you stay one night and get cruise parking included. We had a very up to date room with very nice appointments. I liked the original art in each room and colorful way the room was tastefully decorated. The crowning touch was the complimentary shuttle to our cruise ship, both ways . We also had our three grand children join us for the cruise and they where given free trips to and from cruise ship also, but they did not stay the night, just dropped in as we where leaving for the ship. The staff were very nice to all cruisers and I am sure they are going to get lots of repeat customers, I know we will use them every time we cruise out of Long Beach.

3 Thank flyinghydraulicman
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is an older motel that has been well maintained. It has a very modern decor. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Parking was crowded. It was a handy location for visiting downtown Long Beach.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Utah
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The hotel current has very nice rooms, is in a decent location, and has several restaurants nearby (I recommend the Crooked Duck) so it was good for a week long business trip. The only negative is the spotty van service. In the morning the Long Beach airport shuttle leaves every 30 minutes, or more accurately, it is scheduled every 30 minutes. When it departs is always guess, even when the van driver is sitting in the office. Quite often the shuttle left at :05, :10, and even :15 minutes late. They do shuttle within 5 miles of the hotel during off times, which is good, but just be aware when you schedule that it may or may not be ready to leave at the pre-arranged time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ACAFlyer
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I chose this place as I had stayed here before. Though it had changed names and decor. I asked for a handicapped room as mom uses a walker and wheelchair. Bathroom was handicap friendly but beds were not. They were almost a foot up off the ground. I had to go to front desk to get a step stool but it was still difficult for 90 year old to get into bed. I ended up having to toss her up in it.
Also at 7:00 am the gardeners decided to cut down a palm tree outside my door. Not very relaxing.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 13, 2014

This hotel is in a good location, near UC Long Beach. The price compare to other hotels in the area was very reasonable. The furniture looks very modern in style. It has plenty of parking spots. The beds are comfortable seem clean. There is wifi and fridge in the room. The thing that turn me off though is carpet is really dirty. I took off my shoes before going into the room and my sock is black the next morning. Never had problem like this in other hotels. I can only guess they don't clean their carpet much. The free breakfast is not all that great, but at least there are fresh fruits.

1 Thank nitehawk_tc