“decent, looks nice at least and friendly staff”
Review of Hotel Current

Hotel Current
Ranked #17 of 57 Hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
SanFrancisco
“decent, looks nice at least and friendly staff”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My husband and I got a good price and stayed for two nights. Here's what we thought:

Pro:
- price
- location: 15 minute drive from Disneyland, close to highways
- updated room with modern decor (bathroom was impressive)
- free wifi IN room
- friendly staff
- continental breakfast (good, not great)
- I heard that there is a free shuttle that will take guests anywhere within 5-mile radius. We didn't use this, but great amenity.

Con:
- AC/heater was really old and really loud. We had to turn it off just to make phone calls! Plus it worked poorly. It felt warm in our room even on high cool setting.
- Shower head had zero water pressure. It was like taking shower in the rain.
- The first night I had an allergic/hayfever reaction to the room. I was sneezing and getting itchy/watery eyes. There's no smoking, but I don't know... I had to take allergy medication to last the nights.
- Our room location was next to the housekeeping office and above hotel laundry and so there was audible staff noise early in the morning.

Overall: Decent hotel. A solid 3 stars. It's an old hotel that just got new paint and furniture. It could still use some upgrading - especially to that AC/heating unit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SanFranciscoVerde

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Roseville, CA
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We did the math and it was cheaper to stay overnight at the hotel and leave our car at the hotel than spend the $17 a day to park at the port. Hotel was comfortable and I like the modern updating. They provide breakfast in the morning and they shuttled us back and forth. The service was really good. Everything went as promised. This hotel seems to be ideally located for the harbor area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MarBea26
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was great and the design was very pleasing. Modern with a beach twist. I loved the room had hardwood floors. The only draw back is it's a bit far from downtown. They do have a shuttle that runs to the convention center. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Booked this hotel for my family while in town seeing the play, "Young Frankenstein". Hotel staff was very welcoming and helpful, especially Wayne and Vanessa. Accomodations were spotless and cozy. Slept like a log on the king sized bed. Complimentary shuttle was available for a destination within a five mile radius. Very reasonable price that included breakfast! I will be back!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sbtraveler132
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I have to complement the manager Wayne in going above and beyond his role to organise surprising a guest in his hotel. He sourced and purchase a very specific gift for me. With me being all the way over in Australia receiving constant emails and photo feedback was only amazing and so reassuring. It would defiantly recommend this hotel for their customer service.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Emma M
Predazzo, Veneto, Italy
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Fun, funky vibe in the lobby sets the tone for this property. I got a king room. The bed is amazingly comfortable. Room is large and well appointed. Bath is lovely. Sink is very tall...wish I were much taller to use it, but the shower is roomy and good counter space. Pool area is beautiful I hope I get time to utilize it. My rooms balcony overlooks Pacific Coast Highway, which is loud.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Note that this is a motel and not actually a hotel as the name suggests. But overall it was a very convenient stay for us. We wanted to stay somewhere cheap and cheerful, cosy, inexpensive, with relatively close proximity (20-30mins) to the beaches of the West Coast, LA and Disneyland.

This was my first time staying at an American motel and being from London, my impressions of motels was completely off.. so you could say I was pretty impressed after walking into our room.
Rooms go for about $60-$90 a night, with an option to upgrade to Jacuzzi room for an additional fee (for which we only used once in the entire trip.) Me and my husband stayed here a total of 4 nights, paying about $270.

It is a clean and comfortable hotel with very modern Ikea furnishings. We specifically chose the first floor as we were told that it had wooden floors. The second floors had carpets (which was reputed to be dirty and have a foul smell.)
We stayed at Suite 103, which was facing the busy road so it was too noisy at night to keep the windows open for fresh air; keeping them closed reduced the noise but meant we had to turn on the AC. Oh well. Can't have everything.

Staff friendly. Free parking. Free Wifi. A variety of great channels on TV. Comfortable bed (but with little square pillows.) Pool seemed clean with great lounge furniture. Would imagine it to be popular during the summer season.

Now for my biggest complaints. Which knocked off 2 big points, concluding this review a 3/5.
1. Ladies, good luck with trying to put on your make-up. There is no counter top space in front of a mirror. At one point I think I had to put my make-up bag on one side of the jacuzzi bathtub so I could do my make-up in front of the mirror in the bathroom.. and then the hairdryer I balanced on top of the toilet. The sink area is just.. the sink so I couldn't even fit a cup to hold my toothbrush. See photo. Hotel Current, invest in more spacious counter tops in bathrooms!!!!!!!

2. The rain shower I'm sure is very pretty but absolutely USELESS. No water pressure at all. Ladies, you can easily get around this by using a plastic cup or something.

3. My sink was rusty. I have a thing for rusty sinks. :(

Hotel Current has so much potential to becoming a better 'hotel' in the future.
It is affordable and a popular choice but if they addressed certain areas of the motel, they can easily progress to a 4* rated hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor NOT facing the street would be your best option.