“There are much better places in Long Beach” 2 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Current
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, WA
“There are much better places in Long Beach”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2008

My son goes to Long Beach State, and whenever golfing at the course across the street for the last 2 years when I visit him, I have thought that the Guest House looked nice and would give it a try. Once is now enough. The room was outdated, and with spartan amenities (slab mattress, one ripped blanket, flat pillows, about 8-10 total channels on the cable TV, cheap soap/shampoo/in room coffee, broken hairdryer, terrible bathroom lighting). Traffic noise on the PCH was very noticeable starting at about 6:30 am. It's in need of an upgrade and better overall attention to detail - or, drop the price to a Travelodge-type level of $59-$69/night, and it would be an OK value. But at $100, it was out of its league (there are remarkably better options in town for just $20 or so more, like the Marriott Courtyard in downtown). Airport shuttle does not run until 7 am on weekedays - I had a 6:45 flight, so it was of no use to me - and the two women at the front desk did not even know about prices for cabs or outside shuttle services. Another desk clerk in the evening couldn't give me directions to Dodger Stadium - she just thought it was called something else now. I like the city of Long Beach, it has an old S.Cal natural style that is more down to earth than L.A. - but it can be enjoyed better from a different hotel.

• Stayed April 2008
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2007

We needed a place to stay for four nights while moving our daughter into her dorm room. I booked this hotel months in advance based on the lovely photo in the AAA guide book and the nice girl who answered the phone. Told her we needed 2 double beds (3 adults). I confirmed this twice before our arrival, and once on arrival day. We got there about 9 pm, having driven 500 miles. Despite their assurances that we'd have what we needed, by the time we arrived they'd given away our 2 double-room, giving us one double and a shaky rollaway.

But the nightmare had just begun. Rooms are right on the parking lot, so nights were loud. The rooms are horrible: sticky carpets, eensy bathrooms and no water pressure. Complimentary "breakfast" was stale bagels and papers cups of Sunny D. It's within walking distance to nothing, so we tried to rely on vending machines, but they were all broken.

Positive points: facade, registration office and pool are nice (too bad you can't sleep in any of those.)

• Liked — Pool, but we didn't have time to use it.
  • Disliked — Service/room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank lablover2go
Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2007

We needed a decent place to stay for 1 night that was close to the airport and had a shuttle. The airport shuttle doesn't work for any flights you might need to catch before 10 in the morning or a later night flight. We had to pay $40 for a van to take us. They advertised a shuttle into town--which was unavailable unless you were one of the very few people who signed up in advance.
The photos make this place look far nicer than it is. The room was very dingy--really a one-star room rather than a 2.5 or 3 as advertised. It was basically clean but had a heavy smell of Lysol. The rooms have not been updated in perhaps 20 years...
We were disturbed in the night by rowdy guest. The room walls were paper thin. This was not at all what we needed before a long trip the next day.

• Liked — Its proximity to the airport
  • Disliked — The seedy room with paper-thin walls which had not been updated in many, many years
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank LouVirginia
ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

I live in Long Beach. Our plumbing went out in our home and we needed a affordable, clean hotel for a week so I contacted the Guest House in Long Beach. I work in a large University close by to the hotel so I thought this would be a great choice.

We checked in and found out we had a ground floor. We prefer upper and aked to be moved. This was done with great ease. The hotel was full that week I think the Grand Prix?

Everyday the room was cleaned to perfection. The breakfast was very enjoyable. The breakfast room was bright and cheerful and open and we had a view of the pool. It was a friendly atmosphere and a nice place to meet other people.
We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

Walking by some empty rooms as guests left it gave me an opportunity to peek in and view different types of rooms. I never saw a bug or spider and all carpets looked clean. A lot of guests leave doors open and living in Southern Ca sometimes a pest may enter a room and this happens on our homes. Once in Palm Springs while staying at the Riveria Hotel a bat made his way into our room and peeked out under the TV. We called for help and security forced him into a bucket and took the bat away. Spiders are easy, call for a quick spray.

The hotel area is close by to many fine & reasonable restaurants. If the couple who wanted to take their family to the pizza place up the street, great Idea 5-8. After that its a band everynight for the younger crowd. For the family who ended up in the Marketplace there are a lot of lower priced places to go . They went right by an "In and Out," on the corner of PCH. Hoffs Hutt, caters to total family, and the Claim Jumper is all family's El Torito is also located in the Market place. In the Marina on the right as they drove down the coast it houses, a new chicken place, and other small restaurants. If they drive a tad more they would hit Seal Beach with loads of high to low end restaurants.

Because I work at the University close by and I am able to recommend the Guest House or any other hotel in our area I usually choose them. I have never had a complaint from the guests who have taken my advice in fact they all praised the place and were happy about all the money they saved on a room because this gave them more money for Disneyland, Knotts etc.

The hotel offers a shuttle from Long Beach Airport and also service to locations close to the hotel. This is a plus and many use this service.

I just want to give the Guesthouse Long Beach a break because
myself, my husband and mucho, mucho recommendations later I give it an A. For those who are used to Marriott's STAY THERE for value, clean and sweet stay at the Guesthouse LONG BEACH, CA.

Stayed April 2006
2 Thank beeca
Lincoln, NE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2007

My husband and I were in Long Beach attending a wedding and the wedding party had reserved a block of rooms at the GuestHouse Hotel.
I will say the staff were very friendly and helpful but the stay wasn't the most pleasant experience I've ever had.
We had spiders in our room and everyone found their feet kept getting black from walking on the carpet in the rooms. On Sunday morning the sewer began backing up into our tub and we were unable to shower or flush our toilet for some time. We advised the hotel desk and they said we were the 5th person to complain about the sewer problem and had already called maintenance. They did fix the problem but the smell was horrendous!
The breakfast offered by the hotel was nothing special. The orange juice was sitting out in pitchers and was warm. They didn't have a good selection...just cereal, bananas, waffles and toast.
Parking was also a problem as the hotel was mostly full over the weekend. At times there were no spots left in the lot.
If we return to Long Beach we will definitely find a different place to stay as this was not worth the money.

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank melissa r
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2007

Read this all the way to the end!!! Beware when booking here! There is a reason the rates are so cheap! The picture on the website does not at all resemble what the hotel actually looks like, nor do the pictures of the rooms. When we arrived we were extremely disappointed and a little nervous with good reason. We should have trusted our instincts and changed hotels, but the entire out-of-town wedding party was staying there and we wanted to be close to family.

I contacted the hotel directly to book our rooms - we were with a wedding party and the wedding location was very close by the motel. I talked to the marketing director about some of the reviews I had read online about the GuestHouse. She was very nice to deal with and I know it is her job to 'sell' the rooms, but I bet she wouldn't sleep in one. She assured me that the rooms that got the bad reviews were not the rooms anyone in our party would get. She personally booked me in a 'suite' and told me that it was one of their nicer rooms for our five night stay.

First, note that all the rooms are outside rooms which is scary considering the type of people that stay there; we were afraid to go out at night because of the group staying across the parking lot. I realize they can't control this completely, but there should be security on the premise. The website also states that the pool is heated year-round - not true, the heater is broken, had been broken for a while, and they had no plans to fix it anytime soon.

Second, our room should not have been considered a suite. It should have been called a large room with a kitchenette and sitting area; a suite implies some amount of luxury. This room was far from luxurious; was filthy and crowded. The carpet was so dirty that you couldn't walk from the bed to the bathroom without your feet getting black on the bottom. The pull-put couch where my children were to sleep was terrible - they had to sleep with relatives in another room. There were ants in the bathroom the entire stay even though maintenance came to spray the bathroom. And when the maintenance worker was in our room, he put filthy, cleaning rag down in my open suitcase on top of clean clothes that were then unwearable. I give the Guesthouse credit in the way they handled this - they took off one night's charge.

Granted, they took off a night for the dirty rag incident, but this didn't even come close to compensating me for what else happened. About the third day there, I started getting red, itchy bumps on my skin. I feared our bed had bedbugs, but after looking we found none. These red bumps grew larger and more appeared every day. When I got home, I had them all over - on my face, trunk, arms, and legs. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a strep infection on my skin. He said that he had seen it before from people staying in hotels and I most likely came from a dirty chair or the bedspread. I had to take antibiotics for ten days to get rid of this. And no, I didn't contact the management about this - what would the point have been?

They do have free breakfast with the room, but note that there are only about six cocktail tables in the area where breakfast is served. So plan on standing to eat or taking your food back to your room. Sitting outside could be an option if someone hasn't gotten the three tables already.

So, if you can afford to spend more on a hotel, please save yourself the trouble and stay somewhere else.

On a positive note, the Brazilian restaurant next door is wonderful. The food and service are worth the price.

• Disliked — The hotel was in very poor condition!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank leeala
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2007

I went through priceline and got a great deal. I stayed from Thursday through Sunday. Of course, with priceline, you don't know what hotel you're going to get until you pay. So when I saw this hotel, i went to this website, tripadvisors.com to do some research. Man, when I saw the reviews, I was in shock. I saw so many bad reviews. i called my girlfriend to apologize to her ahead of time b/c of the bad reviews. I looked for ways to cancel, but we were strapped with money.
So vacation time comes, and what do you know, this was a great place! I came from Long Beach airport and took Pacific Coast Highway. The directions were easy and found it on my first drive, I google mapped it. The thing that probably confused people was that you had to go through the traffic circle, which feels like nascar on a busy day.
The lady at the front desk was nice, she gave us an upgraded room. Our room was on the 2nd level and it overlooked the golf course. I felt safe there. I didn't have to worry about my rental car either. The parking lot is well lit at night if you're worried about that. Housekeeping did an excellent job each day. Clean sheets, vacuumed floor, clean mirrors, clean towels, what more do you need? There was no nasty smell or odor. The tub was huge and had jets! Everything was stocked! We had a little fridge in our room also for my Gatorade addiction.
Of course there were things that would have bothered other people but didn't bother me. Being near the Highway, I was able to hear cars zoom by at 2 in the morning still. Not loud, but loud enough to annoy the super light sleeper. When doors closed at night in other rooms, you could hear it. Again, if you're asleep already, this should be no problem. Also, the breakfast is an upgraded continental. You get muffins, waffles, croissants, cereal, oatmeal, coffee, juice. Some people may want more, but why would you stay there if you did. Easy access to grocery stores, Ralph's and Von's a half mile away. All in all, a great place to stay for the budget minded traveler.
To me, people were giving this hotel a bad review because they were expecting the Hilton. If they expected the Hilton, they should have spent more money. I would definitely come back here again. On a scale of 1-10 for the price I paid, I give this a 10. There is that saying, " you get what you pay for" so don't expect a resort if you're paying less than $100 a night. This place was worth every penny I paid and more!

Stayed January 2007