“Hotel Current is my home away from home when I visit my daughter.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Current

Hotel Current
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Palm Springs
“Hotel Current is my home away from home when I visit my daughter.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Whenever I visit my daughter who lives in Long Beach I stay in a hotel. About five years ago I discovered Hotel Current. The Owners are friendly; the pool is warm; and the breakfast is convenient. My husband and I always stay in one of the Spa Rooms in the front. Even before they were remodeled, they were comfortable. But now they are sensational! I love the decor and that fabulous Orange Leather chair. Instead of watching TV, I find myself"gaping at the decor --basking in the beauty of it all in that double tub. And the prices are always very, very reasonable. Thank you Hotel Current for always being there for me. Linda Ragin

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

While I was in Afghanistan last year, I purchased Hotel Current in Long Beach through Living Social Escape. I've been to California twice in my life and wanted to see the beach when I got home. My wife and I drove to Long Beach back in February from Arizona and had an awesome time. When I first got to the hotel, I was surprise to find it more like a motel than a hotel. The pictures did not depict a motel setting. Anyways, this was nice since we parked in front of our room and didn't go far for the luggage.

The room was very nice, clean, and had been renovated. The decor was like the hotel's name, "Current" and very artistic. My wife and I both liked the room. We also took our Boston Terrier with us with a $50 deposit, and they waved the fee after we checked out. Very pet friendly hotel.

The front desk was very friendly and there was a free shuttle that takes you within 5 miles from the hotel. You have to book the shuttle in advance since there's a 30 minute increment you have to reserve. The fallback is first come, first serve. If there was a time you wanted to go and somebody else booked it, you're out of luck unless you want to wait longer. The pool area was very beautiful and the lobby was nice. I really like the staff from the front desk to the shuttle driver and maids, they were all friendly and my dog received alot of attention.

The only negative would be breakfast because all you get is banana, toast, cereal, etc. I can't really complain since it was free, but after being in Afghanistan for nearly a year, I wanted eggs and bacon.

Since we booked the hotel though Living Social Escapes, we received 2 complimentary certificates to the Brazilian Steakhouse next door called Greenfields. This was one of the best things we did in Long Beach. If you have never been to a Brazilian Steakhouse, you are missing out on life. It's normally $30 a person and well worth every penny. Not only it's a buffet, but the waiter comes every 5 minutes with a different style of meat. Don't miss the fillet mignon or the ribeye. If you don't eat alot or if you're a vegetarian, don't come here.

Besides the steakhouse, a pizzeria, a bar and an alcohol store, there's not much around the area. The first night we went to Seal Beach and we had a blast, my dog received more attention. It was a nice quiet beach with more pubs in town than people. The shuttle picked us up after we called them. The next day we went to the Aquarium with my cousin and her husband and couldn't believe how awesome this place was since you can pet the sharks and sting rays.

Overall, Hotel Current is a nice place and I would recommend it to anybody. It's reasonably priced, clean, and the staff made it enjoyable. We would stay there if we ever make it back to Long Beach. If this place ever do another promotion with Living Social or Groupons, I would highly recommend making a visit and unless you're one of those people who nitpicks everything, you won't regret it. Than again, I'm one of those happy go lucky guys who's happy to be home and enjoys life while feeling lucky to be able to enjoy places like Hotel Current.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daveman_1973
Oak Park, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Was in town for a two day tournament at Rec Park Golf Course across the street. Booked two rooms with a AAA rate. My room was awful. The door to the room had a hole in the bottom left and you could see the outside. Also, the bathroom door had been damaged by the doorknob. It bothered me that the staff did not think that either of these "issues" were a problem, that they say fit to let someone stay in the room as it was. With regard to the breakfast, there were bananas, orange juice and coffee, cereal and waffles. That's it. There were two waffle makers and a very selfish and inconsiderate guest was monopolize both for his rather large contingent. There really should be an attending in the breakfast room. In any event, it really was not much of a breakfast and we just skippped.

Room Tip: Unless you can stay in one of the remodled rooms, forget it.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
hotelcurrent, General Manager at Hotel Current, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
We are very sorry for your guestroom experience and have put steps back in place to ensure this type of situation doesn't occur again. I have tried to contact you and hope you received both my call and email sent in response to your concerns this weekend. I was not aware of your breakfast feedback from earlier cooresponse, but would like you to know I am in the process of changing that service selection and will be adding another attendant. Thank you again for your feedback.
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Beautiful lobby and furniture but parking was a nightmare..too small. I agree with other reviewers..the breakfast can become chaotic and the sitting area seemed congested. They messed up our room request but did apologize. Staff was very pleasant. We stayed near the lobby but the back room/building area seemed dark and shady. Great location between LA and OC.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the back
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Claremont, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

It was my boyfriend's birthday this past weekend so I planned a whole weekend for him. Wayne the front desk manager was so very helpful and kind! Everything we needed assistance with all we needed to do was call the front desk and they were on top of it. The shuttle was nice, even though we took it literally next door to DiPiazza's which is a cool little dive/restaurant that has live bands performing. It was a great experience and they upgraded us to a room with the Spa no problem. Thank you Hotel Current!

Room Tip: Our Spa room was on bottom floor by the street. Next time I would ask for a pool view so we have the...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
hotelcurrent, General Manager at Hotel Current, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Thank you so very much for your kind words about Hotel CURRENT and our staff; especially Wayne. We look forward to your future visits!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I reserved this hotel for a company trip. We reserved 2 rooms for 2 nights. Front desk staff was super helpful in setting us up with early and late check-in/out and complimentary shuttle transportation which we took advantage of several times during our stay. Our rooms were very modern & spotless!! I loved the iPod docking station & the rainshower head in the bath. Beds & pillows are super comfortable & decor was great. Pool area was very nice although we didn't have enough time to enjoy it. We will definitely stay again when in Long Beach.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Bloom29
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Hotell CURRENT, I really wanted to like you. Your lobby is beautiful and modern, my room had a wood floor (tile in the bathroom), stylish furniture, a flat-panel TV and a very comfortable bed. It was spotlessly clean. Your staff are very friendly and helpful as well. Evidently the furniture cost so much there was no money left over for climate control, though, as heat and cooling are provided by a 70s-era unit just below the window (you know the type--seemingly every motel in North America has them). Mine was loud as hell and squeaky, but it did work. My room faced PCH, and neither the thin wall nor the single-pane window did much to keep the traffic noise down. Traffic noise doesn't bother me much, but if it did I'd have had to sleep in my car; it was that loud.
Breakfast consists of a repurposed meeting room with a couple pots of decent coffee, a waffle iron, a bowl of fruit and some cereal. If you're in too big a hurry to wait behind the 15 people making waffles (at 2 mins each, do the math), you're relegated to cereal; evidently breads and pastries weren't in the budget.
Finally, this hotel has about 100 rooms. Who thought it would be OK to have two washing machines for everyone to share? Luckily there's a laundromat 5 minutes up PCH.
My room at this hotel was very nice, but unfortunately the nice room was outweighed by the useless breakfast, traffic noise and "convenient to nothing" location. I'd have been able to overlook those if this hotel were cheap, but it's not. For the price of this hotel you can do so, so much better.

Room Tip: Rooms facing PCH are freakin' loud.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank 916Jose
Thank you for your feedback during your stay with us. We will take your comments to heart and try to improve our services to better meet every travelor's needs.