“Great location, helpful staff”

Courtyard Long Beach Downtown
Ranked #14 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
holidaydory
“Great location, helpful staff”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights as part of a group. The location is great, you can walk to the beach and some great restaurants. The staff were excellent, consistently friendly and helpful - check in was very fast and efficient. The room was a generous size and the bed super comfortable. I had a balcony room, which is a narrow balcony you can stand on. The balcony overlooked the side of the hotel where there were buses parked every evening and the engines were very loud in the morning when they started and woke me up. I also found there was a lot of traffic noise. In future I would want to be on a higher floor to avoid the noise or perhaps on another side of the hotel. The hotel is being refurburbished and one of the elevators is out of service but they did have a service elevator available for the use of guests to minimize the inconvenience.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor to avoid noise as this hotel is downtown. Balcony rooms are just a nar...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Silvano M, General Manager at Courtyard Long Beach Downtown, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor.
I also want to thank you for your business and for sharing such valuable feedback.
We pride ourselves for the great service and it is because of each individual staff member that we are able to provide our guests with a pleasant experience.
Please feel free to reach out to me directly I can be of assistance.

Best regards
Long Beach Downtown Courtyard
silvano.merlo@marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Cannon Beach, Oregon
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I'm a huge fan of Marriott brands, but this has to be the worst in the chain. There is absolutely no comparison to the Courtyard in a Portland where I stayed at the beginning of the week. This one needs a complete overhaul, replacing old furniture, modernizing phones, coffee makers, bathrooms, etc. On the positive side, front desk staff were friendly and helpful.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Silvano M, General Manager at Courtyard Long Beach Downtown, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and your kind words about our front desk team are so appreciated. We are very excited to share that the hotel will be undergoing a renovation beginning this spring and hope that you will consider a return visit to Long Beach and our hotel.
San Jose, Ca
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed at this quality property three times now. This time has to be the best.

Front desk staff was excellent. Rooms are first class. The beds are some of the most comfortable
I have ever slept on in a hotel

Keep up the good work.

I will be back. :-)

Room Tip: Upper floors tend to be nicer
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The hotel itself in my opinion is nicely appointed. The lobby looks great, and what I saw of the restaurant looked very nicely done. The rooms themselves were not the best I have seen, but definately not the worst I have seen either. There are a few reviews here that mention the elevators. During my stay (1/24-1/25), there was only one elevator working. However, it was not as slow, nor as big of an inconvenience as others have stated. The elevator worked just as quickly as any other I have been on. Our room was on the 7th floor and never did we have to wait too long. As far as the hotel itself goes, it is somewhere I would stay again... IF the staff at the front desk had made a better effort that is.

So this stay was something my wife and I had planned in order for us to be able to spend some time together along with our infant son. I typically work all the time, so this was going to be a special outting. When I was doing research on where to stay in Long Beach, we had decided on the Courtyard by Marriott due to the promotion that they offer where you get Aquarium of the Pacific tickets included along with the rate that you pay. Since the Aquarium is something that we wanted to see on Saturday, this was a no brainer for us.

When we arrived, we were cheerfully greeted by woman at the front desk names Griselda. She was very helpful with the check in process (or so it seemed). Griselda took my information in an expedited fashion and went through the check in. Once she finished up setting up our room number and the room keys, I inquired about the Aquarium tickets. She gave a funny look at me first and then checked in her computer system where she then saw the information. Griselda then proceeded to open up a few safe areas, but was unable to locate the tickets. She then stated that it appeared that she did not have access to those tickets, but that she would notify her supervisor who would then take them to my room for me. Griselda then gave me a business card with her supervisor's name and asked if there was anything else that she could help us with. I inquired from her when we should expect the tickets to be brought up to us, which she responded that it should be with in the hour. I said no problem, thanked her and we were on our way to our room.

As we setteled in, my wife and I decided that we would just relax the evening in the room, however we were a bit hungry. I decided to go out and get some food while my wife stayed behind with our infant to nurse him, and wait on the tickets. I got back and it had been over an hour since check in. I asked my wife and she said that not a call or anything since I had left. I then gave a call to the front desk to see if I could speak to Robert Smith (the supervisor on duty at the time). The front desk person that answered the phone stated that he was not available at the moment. I then explained to him the reason for my call, and that we had yet to get any word on our tickets. The gentleman stated that he had not heard anything about it, but that he would relay the information to Mr Smith.

Hour three comes around and still no word from anyone at the desk, nor Mr Robert Smith. At this point it is about time for my son to get started on his bedtime routine, so I decide to go downstairs as to not have a disruption during that time. As I get to the desk, I speak to the gentleman who then remembers my call. He states that it is a long process and that Mr Smith has not had an opportunity to complete it. First off, I was confirmed to check in, I had checked in, and three hours had already passed. How long can this process really take? I simply stated ok, and that I would wait in the lobby. I sat there for a good 20 minutes in which time I saw who I found out was Mr Smith talking to staff at periods not really doing anything. I then did see him engaging with another patron who had a complaint about the house keeping staff throwing out some personal items. I waited until that patron had concluded his chat with Mr Smith, but then Mr Smith went to the back office (possibly to complete something with the patrons complant?). I asked the same front desk person if he knew how much longer it would be. His response, "Oh, you are waiting for the tickets right? Let me tell my supervisor". That comment right there makes it seem to me that he never told him in the first place when I came down and waited in the lobby.

Finally after another 10 minutes or so, Robert Smith comes up to me and asks if I am waiting for Aquarium tickets. I state yes. He says ok, I will be right back. Another 10 minutes or so and I finally get them from Robert. I say thank you, and then ask him why the process had taken so long. He simply asked if no one had offered to print them out for me. I said, "No, I was told by Griselda that she did not have access, and that you would bring them to my room by around 5pm". I then pointed out that it was close to 8 o'clock already at this time, and mentioned to him my call, and how long I had been waiting in the lobby. All he said was sorry that no one offered to print them out. No futher explanations, nothing. I simply mentioned to him that it was a bit ridiculouse that I am just now getting these tickets which were advertised as included in the price of the stay almost 4 hours after I had checked in. To this Robert stated, "Yes it is a bit ridiculous".

An explanation as to what is wrong would have been much better then seemingly patronizing response to what I was saying. For this lack of communication, and lack of apparent training, I would have to not recommend this to location to others.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Just_a_wandererCA
Chefsly, General Manager at Courtyard Long Beach Downtown, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

I trust this message finds you well.

At this juncture I can only apologize for the inconvenience and lack of service you received at our property.

If you please could send me a message at silvano.merlo@marriott.com so I can personally contact you on this matter.

Thank you for your business and looking forward to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Downtown Long Beach Courtyard
Colorado
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Place was nice but customer service was not. They were fixing the elevator when we were there which was okay, but the front desk staff needed to go back to marriott training. I should know as I have been through the training myself.
Not worth the high money that we spent. AT ALL

Room Tip: Get a upper floor so less noise
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chefsly, General Manager at Courtyard Long Beach Downtown, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Julie,
I hope this message finds you well.
I am so sorry for the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel.
We take pride in what we do and unfortunately have not met your expectations.
Our elevator re-modernization is part of an upgrade to our existing units.
I have spoken to our staff and taken measures for the lackadaisical service you received.
I thank you for your feedback as it helps us getting better at what we do.
Best regards
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Our room was paid for by our travel agent so I'm not sure of the cost, but the rooms here would struggle to get 3 stars. On the downside, the rooms are shabby with old wallpaper and bathrooms. There is no milk provided for the coffee maker, so we couldn't even brew a cup. And the air conditioner sounded like a jet taking off. On the upside, the location is great, rooms are large and beds comfortable. Staff were helpful and friendly and the restaurant is very upmarket and appears popular with locals. This could be a great hotel if the rooms were renovated, oh, and if the lift was repaired.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My review is about the front desk staff during a trip in Oct 2013.

I reserved a two Queen room for my sister's stay over a weekend. Upon check in, the front desk told my sister that they did not have double Queen room and assigned her to a King room. However, for some other reasons I forgot, they had to move them to another room. This time, it is a double Queen. That means that they do have double Queen room so they lied to my sister. I am pretty sure that they do have double Queen room as the room type is guaranteed in my reservation and I am a Marriott gold member.

On the check out, my sister was charged with the parking fee but the rate we paid covers the parking. I had to talk to the front desk and the lady said that they will waiver it this time as if we got a special treatment! Then, she said that she would refund the parking fee and swiped the gift card (my sister paid the stay using Marriott gift card). In reality, the refund did not happen so the lady cheated on my sister. Long story short, my sister got back to them again and the lady acknowledged that they can not refund a gift card payment just by swiping the card, and they need to do it another way.

To me, the room type and parking fee are not big deal, but the overall experience left a very bad taste in my mouth. I got a feeling that my sister was being mistreated as she is not an experienced traveler. Although this may not be applicable to all front desk staff, I will avoid this hotel in future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends