“Fix the Elevators!!”

Courtyard Long Beach Downtown
Ranked #14 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Pros: Walking distance to Convention Center and nearby hotels (in case you have conferences in them too). Free Wifi. The beds are VERY VERY confortable. Staff was great the whole time, courteous and helpful.

Cons: As you have read, the elevators don't work. The one that does is SUPER SLOW! IF you happen to get on it, it takes a very long time to reach your destination. The only two times I used it in my 3 night stay, was when I arrived (I was none the wiser) and when we left, had too much luggage to navigate the stairs.

The rest of the times we would just take the stairs. Luckily I was on the 4th floor, but I knew folks on the 7th and 8th that had no option but to wait.

The rooms, especially the carpet look very old and used/dirty.

The rooms are extremely noisy. I could hear people in the halls, hear doors slamming above and outside my room, the slidding of patio doors.

Would I stay here again, not sure, price is right, but the there might be better options.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Long Beach Downtown

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Starting here at the moment. Good comfortable hotel with massive rooms.
Likes
Good price
Big rooms
Great tv
Good shower and hot water
Clean
Friendly staff
Dislikes
Elevator only one and it is slower than paint drying, hate to stay here if the place was full
No room instruction book-they say they are preparing a new one but it took a day to find out how to work the ac
We had two rooms and paid 95 $ a room a bargain for the price

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank martyj67
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel (500 E 1st. St., Long Beach, CA) from 3-6 November 2013. My experience was very poor.
1. On arrival, I went to use the toilet and found the bowl full of hair and other disgusting things. I informed the Front Desk.
2. The chair for the desk is only 15" off the floor and could not be adjusted, which made it very uncomfortable to work at the desk. I complained about this to the Front Desk, but there was no action.
3. The room and the hotel has a very 'tired' look. The carpets are dirty and stained, and I'm sure the rooms have not been painted for many years.
4. On the third morning when I woke up, I was covered with dozens of tiny black ants - not a pleasant way to wake up!
5. The price of the room ($161 + taxes) was excessive. I have stayed in much better hotels with free breakfast for around $100 to $110 per night in other comparable cities.
6. One of the two elevators was out for repairs during the time I was there, so there were long waits for the elevator.
It seems that the management may be allowing this hotel to 'run down', perhaps intending to sell it. At any rate, I found the quality far below what I would have expected for a Marriott Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Staff was nice and courteous at front desk but there were complications from there. 2 lobby elevators 1 was not working at all and the other was stuck on the 9th floor. I am in wheelchair stairs are not option. Finally they told us to use the service elevator. It was clear down at the end of the building and the handicap room was back at the other end. Then roll in shower didn't have a chair. After several attempts no chair making shower useless

and asked for tge chair and they said oh that was tge room.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I came to this property while the restaurant/lobby area were being renovated.
Check-in process was smooth and was given a room. Unfortunately I was given an accessible room at first but decided it was not worth the hassle to change rooms.
The elevators seem to take a while to get, but didn't run in to any problems as I was not ever in a rush.
Parking was a little tough, maybe because I was traveling on peak season.
The breakfast was great a lot of grab and go items were provided in the meeting room because the restaurant was being renovated. They provided plenty of microwaves to heat up the frozen foods.
They seemed to not miss a step even with the renovation process, I'm sure everything looks a lot nicer now.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My friends and I stayed here for a girls trip to the Queen Mary and it was way too short of a trip!

Location perks: walking distance from the downtown nightlife. We did not need a cab really; we walked to the main street and caught a free shuttle to the Queen mary area where tons of restaurants were.

Hotel Amenities and service: very clean and friendly service. The room was just right, spacious and clean.
The elevator was a little slow and their shower was labeled incorrect for the hot and cold options. Other than that no fault with the room. And the workers were friendly and accomodating.

We are definitely staying here again!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Elle B
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We arrived late and check in was fine. We asked for a pool view (didn't want to get stuck with a parking structure view) and got one. We managed just fine in a handicap-accessible unit (room 203).
First, one elevator was out of service. Being on the second floor made this a non-issue. However, if you were on a higher floor, this will be an issue because the other elevator was on island time. It was sloooowww.
As soon as we got out of the elevator, the hallway smelled musty. So did the room. I don't know why. Its not like we were in Hawai'i with lots of rain and humidity.
We had two queen beds in the room, as requested. However, the one next to the balcony literally blocked access to the balcony!
Everything worked in the unit, including the flat screen tv. It was definitely a no frills unit. All the other equipment was very old, including a stained swivel chair for the desk.
The pool was very basic with a spa. The kids were able to enjoy themselves. What was annoying was there were no pool towels available. I had to go into the fitness center to grab what were smaller towels. The next afternoon was the same thing, except there weren't even towels for the fitness center. The wife went to the front desk to notify them. A few minutes later, towels were brought out.
Dining was solid at James Republic. The kids menu was very reasonable ($5 average) and delicious. The food was gourmet for a kids menu. Solid craft brew selection. Need to carry Ballast Point. Very nice vibe/ambiance.
Parking was $12. Tempted to just do street parking, but with the Long Beach Marathon going on this weekend, did the convenient hotel parking.
Definitely would not stay here or at any other Courtyard again. There are many other options. After staying at this property, I cannot trust the Courtyard brand to meet my family's needs. Marriott should have remodeled this property years ago.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family