“overpriced, noisy, slow internet, average breakfast - its a place to stay”

Courtyard Long Beach Downtown
Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The place is under construction - renovation and thats good. 179 dollars a night group rate is high for what it is - then there is 12 bucks per night to park....maybe thats good but I always think if you are a guest perhaps it should be included and charge people who are just parking and not spending what with taxes will be 200 bucks per night but - hotels like airlines never turn down revenue enhancement opportunity to charge for what should be included - think baggage fees. The place is noisy - its downtown and there are single pane windows so the sirens and dumpster banging and street noise comes right in. The internet is free but its almost like it once was not and there are codes, speed bumps, slow interfaces and layers from that dreaded Iban company (they could screw up post toasties) - the wifi connection is unstable - kept having to log in frequently and the log in process takes some time - its slow I guess because the connection speed is slow. The lobby business center computer I used to try and print something out -my goodness it was slower than dial up speed and pretty old pc's and the link to a business article I was trying to print out was blocked by their surfing lock down business center software. I think it must be only for boarding passes or something.. Fortunately the front desk did it for me - they were great but they dont get much to work with here. The breakfast area was like a red cross refugee feeding frenzy very crowded - no trays to carry your food out of the feeding frenzy are back to your room to try and eat in a quieter area - the hostess gave me a cardboard lid - so she was trying really hard. maybe it was because there were so many kids staying for sports things but it was also crowded and noisy - the door where the staff come in and out of to keep the feeding troughs full -slams loudly every time they go in or out yet the place is so noisy anyway people are de-sensistized to it I think - all those kids made a lot of early morning hallway noise too but the hotel cant do anything about that really. Its just one of the most noisy hotels I have ever stayed at. Maybe it will be better after renovation - if they uplift the wifi technology its a start in the right direction. Its an average place if you can deal with the noise and slow Wifi does not bother you - since they are downtown and close to the convention center they jack up the rates because they can when everything is sold out. Maybe when the renovation is done it will be better - I would wait and see. For now if you cant get into the westin or Hyatt (which are the same group rate price I think) its a place to stay but ask the front desk to put you up high and facing away from some of the street noise if its possible.

Room Tip: work with the front desk to find something as quiet as possible but I am not sure you are going to f...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AZbizguy
GeneralManagerR_13, General Manager at Courtyard Long Beach Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Long Beach Downtown upon your most recent visit to Long Beach. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will assist us in improving upon our current services offered. I would be happy to address your concerns direct and can be reached at the hotel - 562-435-8511. Again, we do appreciate your feedback and will be following up on and addressing the concerns you noted.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

My review will be of most interest to anyone considering staying here in March 2013.

This hotel is in a great location but is currently undergoing a renovation and, as of March 2013, had not been rebranded with the swanky Courtyard look and feel many of us have come to expect. Staff was friendly and accommodating but didn't stand out as above par.

Nice touch: while Courtyards typically charge for breakfast, they were offering it free at the time of our stay due to the inconvenience of construction.

Short cut to the beach: from the front walkway, go right on 1st, right on Atlantic, left on Ocean Blvd, right on Shoreline. You'll see the beach and boardwalk (concrete path) ahead and to your left. We enjoyed the bike rides on the beach with the Courtyard's loaner bikes.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank campfiar
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Positives: large room, very comfortable bed, quiet at night, helpful and friendly staff, free wifi, free parking, short walk to performing arts center, crepe place one block away
Negatives: no restaurant (under construction) and so only stale bagels and pastries in the morning, thin towels, strong smell of drains, black hairs (mine is brown) in the bathroom, shabby furniture which looks like it came out of a boarding school, few restaurants in walking distance, air con which makes a grinding noise like a train (would not want to stay in hot weather when you need it on all night).

I was travelling on business, and don't like wandering strange towns at night looking for food and often rely on room service. That wasn't possible here, so I tried using the food delivery service LAbite to get food in. What a rip-off. With at least a $20 minimum order, they then add $4 'convenience' charge on top of the $4 delivery charge - and then require a tip for the driver! So I had to order way more than one person could eat, and pay a hefty premium for the privilege. Like another reviewer, I wasn't told that the restaurant was closed. Not that it would have helped, but I would have liked to be informed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this property in February 2013 for my birthday. We had a terrific experience. This was the 2nd time we had stayed at this location within a 6 week period and both times, we were very satisfied. The staff was very welcoming and helpful, giving us tips of where to eat, how to get places, and things to do. The beds are very comfortable. The location is great...walking distance to excellent restaurants and the local arts district. Other reviews noted it being a less than desireable place/location after dark, but that might be due to it being an historical area and it's older architecture and such. We have never encountered any undesireable people or experiences when in this area of Long Beach. I am a former long-time resident of Long Beach and I spent over 20 years in this very area and I can tell you that it is as safe as any place at night. To not watch your back in any major metropolitan area's downtown or anywhere else is simply foolish. Anyhow, the location of this hotel is central and very easy access to major freeways. The price was very reasonable and the rooms were spotless. Even though there was construction said to be taking place in the hotel due to renovations, you would not have known. No noise, no debris, no clutter, no mess. The hotel gave us free breakfast for our "inconvenience" of having to endure their renovation process. Score! They also offer free use of beach cruiser bicycles to check out the local attractions and get some exercise. Nice touch. We will always stay at this hotel each time we visit Long Beach.

Room Tip: Any room on any floor is good. Very sound-proof. We always sleep well when staying here!
1  Thank CarolMB1971
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Rooms were shabby for the price. Ceilings cracked and peeling in the bathroom. Construction going on and was not informed of this before I booked a month in advance. 3 inches of standing water in the tub everytime I took a shower.Charges on my bill I'm still trying to find out what they are a week after I've been there.Don't stay here you won't be happy.

Room Tip: Go some where else for a 150.00 a night.
1  Thank Michael174
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a nice visit last November. The rooms are very large and comfortable. It was in a good location except that at night it got a little seedy. The breakfast was not bad and it was great getting free wifi. All hotels should offer that. I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank valerie j
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night, We decided to get in the car and just head south from our home in bay area. After a 6 hours drive we pulled in and asked for a room. With our AAA discount we got a room for $103 plus tax. It was comfortable and clean. The door were a little thin and I was woke up around 3AM by people in the hallway. I am not a light sleeper so that is not said lightly. We were told that we would not be charged for parking but the final bill did have a $12 charge. The free breakfast was good. Cereals, susage ciscuits, egg McMuffins, hard boiled eggs, muffins danishes, fruit, juices, milk, and coffees. So lots to chose from. We would probably stay here again since it is close to a lot of stuff and it was safe.