“Serves it's purpose.. Barely..”

Best Western Of Long Beach
Ranked #7 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 26, 2012

This was our second time through on the way to a cruise. The hotel is located in a rough area but it is secure and we felt safe. I did enjoy watching people stop and urinate and smoke joints in the empty lot next door all day as they got off the train which broke up the monotany of watching the beggers on the corners. PS.. The train is loud as heck so don't stay up front in the hotel..
The front desk was helpful and the shuttle driver was as well. The rooms are adequate but on the verge of becoming old and stale.

Overall if you need to stay in LBC for a cruise you could do worse but next time we will drop some more coin to stay closer to downtown so we feel safe walking around and are closer to the stores and food..

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hpaterson
mikesandhu, Manager at Best Western Of Long Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

I want to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to leave your review of your stay with us. We truly appreciate your patronage and we are very happy to know that you enjoyed the friendliness of our staff at the hotel. Unfortunatelly we have little control over the atmosphere surrounding the hotel, we are delightedth to hear you felt safe while staying with us.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed April 24, 2012

Hotel was clean and neat. It is about a mile to the Aquarium of the Pacific & Long Beach Harbor which offers great dining and shopping. The breakfast bar was too small for the number of travelers. Parking was secure. Missing was a workout room, which would be beneficial.

Room Tip: Not a problem.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nan V

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your stay with us at the Best Western of Long Beach. I will be sure to share this review with all our staff and management personel I like to take the opportunity to inform you that we will soon be able to comfortable accommodate all of out guests in a newly renovated bigger breakfast area. We had customers bringing this issue to our attentions and we are taking the steps necessary to resolve the issue. If you are ever in Long Beach for business or pleasure hopes that you will stay with us again.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Ok, so no one really goes on vacation in Long Beach - that is to say one usually uses LB as a "home base" or sorts. This Best Western is in a sketchy area, but its location is very good for things like Queen Mary, Catalina, Grandprix, cruises etc....but the thing that makes this hotel outstanding is its service. Mike and his crew are amazing: they will take you just about anywhere you want to go and do it with a genuine smile (my favorite driver is "Marco") although all of them are great! I take my Highschool group here every year and every year they roll out the red carpet for us!

Room Tip: Ask for pool-side room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel from 3/12/12 to 3/14/12. My intention is to write a detailed review to help you make a wise decision about your hotel stay.

Overall, the hotel was clean and well maintained. I specifically appreciated the fact that they provide free gated parking as well as security cameras on each floor (hotel is 4 flrs) and in surrounding areas. We never had an issue with parking in the gated area. As a guest, I felt safe knowing that there was security cameras and gated parking. The front desk personnel was helpful and friendly. They responded kindly when a question or issue came up. I arrived at noon and I was allowed to check in early at no cost, I sincerely appreciated this as I was traveling with three small children. The complimentary breakfast was pretty decent, coffee, juice, waffle maker, fruit basket with apples and oranges and pastries. I stayed in room 306, it was a decent room facing the street and parking lot. The room had newer carpet. The beds were a bit too soft for my taste. The room did not have a flat-screen TV, it has the basic box 25 inch with cable.
The room had a tub/shower combination. The water pressure is a bit weak and the drain in the tub was a bit slow, but this did not turn out to be a big issue, just something we took notice of.
The metro is located directly in front of hotel. I did not find this to be an issue since it was not too noisy. The surrounding neighborhood is not very good, however it is also not the worst. It is not the kind of neighborhood you want to be walking around at night, however if you are traveling by car it is not an issue. The hotel is located in a great area in terms of what is available. A less than 5min drive will take you to the supermarket, starbucks and other great amenities. I had researched other hotels in the area and as I was driving around with my family, I was very happy I did not stay at the Holiday Inn Long Beach since this hotel is definitely in a terrible area.

The hotel does have a single guest washer/dryer located in the garage, this was not an issue as from my rm. 306 if I took the stairs down to the garage I was right by the washer/dryer..(it costs $1.50 per wash/1.50 for 45 min of dryer use).
Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

Tips when staying at a hotel:
I consider myself to be very clean and I felt the hotel was very clean. I highly recommend that when you stay at any hotel, you should travel with a can of lysol and spray all surfaces before completely allowing everyone to enter the room, especially the phone and TV control as these are known to carry the highest amt of germs.
Bring your own sheets, one under your body and one over as well as your own pillowcases.
Inspect the bed sheets for any bed bugs. Bed bugs are very common in hotels.
Book your hotel through Bestwestern.com. The pro is you are not dealing with a third party and the price is pretty much the same whether you book on kayak.com or best western. com. The difference is that the hotel price is cheaper through kayak but by the time they add extra fees it is the same price as if you would have book directly with hotel.
Right after you make the reservation, call the hotel the next day to verify your reservation and ask for a newer room, or recently renovated room..when you ask politely it is surprising how hotel staff will respond to your request.
The hotel location is great, very close to the Aquarium, Harbor, and downtown Long Beach Area. If I were traveling to Long Beach again, this is definitely the hotel I would stay at.

Room Tip: Get a room on 3rd floor facing the metro and parking lot, Rm. 306 is great. Request a room at the e...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank T O

Thank you so much for sharing some very detail valuable feedback.
I have ensured to share your comments with our team for immediate improvement.

I also wanted to thank you for your apreciation of our team and service we are working very hard to make every guest feel special.

Feel free to contact our management team on your next visit we would love to make your stay even more special and memorable.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

we stayed here overnight before a cruise, close to terminal, we were told we would be picked up at airport upon arrival, I phoned when we arrived only to find out that they only pickup from Long beach airport, room was clean, transit across the street, business's in district all have bars on them, , would I stay here again, probably not, will pay a bit more for a more secure area

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2012

This is my first time writing about this Hotel, although we have stayed here at least 10 times..Honestly this is not a Hotel we would have picked but it was what "Price Line" gave us, and even though not in the best area of town...One of the Cleanest, Friendlest hotels in Long Beach. Breakfast is always a plus...Always fresh and the Breakfast area is always clean...Parking is free and safe...and hotel is near anything you want to do in the LA area or Orange County Area...For Tourist's who don't want to drive...The Blue Line is just outside the Lobby...a real plus I'm sure to many..Only downfall on this Hotel is a very slow elevator...LOL

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We were only here for one night, but the hotel staff were extremely friendly & the shuttle driver even dropped us off "almost right in front" of Roscoe's ....which he wasn't supposed too, but since we were the only ones, he didn't seem to mind! The location is across the street from their metro (rail) - but you can't hear it, and you literally just walk the street. As for the area, it's LA - come on - it's not Bel Air, there will be some ethinicity around!! Overall, felt pretty comfortable, we even walked a good long stretch of the Blvd (by accident, my fault) - and we had encountered some pawn shops, and lots of fast food restaurants. It's not exactly close to the "action" - but if you hop on the rail, you'll be there in probably 20 mins, if you ask for the free shuttle, it's like less then 10. I didn't try the pool, but it looked clean, but then it was sort of facing the street, so it's ok, pass! As well, a McDonalds is across the street, so if you missed breakfast (which was your average BW) - then you could try that as well. They have 2 shuttles which you book ahead, and they were prompt (the next morning) - and the other driver was also just as good as the first we had. All in all, good price, decent location, and awesome staff!

Room Tip: Book ahead for your shuttle to the port ahead of time! We were on the Disney cruise, and the front...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple