“Good value - great staff.”

Best Western Golden Sails Hotel
Ranked #13 of 55 Hotels in Long Beach
Bristol
“Good value - great staff.”
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here from 7April for 3 nights before a cruise. It is a little dated, but for the money it is great value. The staff were excellent, very helpful and whilst the entertainment was lacking it was good on those nights it was on. Great value breakfast. I forgot my shaving cream so they gave me some - still using it now. If you expect 5 star quality this isn't it but if you want value for the money you are paying then you cannot beat it. Would stay there again if in LA.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank somersetcountyleague

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights and no issues at all. Hotel is a bit dated but very clean, large rooms,comfortable beds and very courteous staff.

EXCELLENT location on PCH, close to many dining and shopping choices and a quick 10 minute trip to downtown Long Beach.

Will stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool ... away from PCH. I assume it would be a bit noisier on the fro...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cresskill, New Jersey
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed here for one night in April 2013 based on reviews I read on Trip Advisor, and they did not steer us wrong! We had a late night flight into Long Beach from the east coast and I wanted a hotel close to the attractions, such as the Aquarium and The Queen Mary. This hotel was a very easy ride from the airport and we even found an "In 'N Out" Restaurant (our kids favorite hamburgers) right down the road. The desk staff were courteous and friendly, and the room was a nice size with comfortable queen beds. We asked for a room toward the back (away from PCH) and had a quiet, restful, comfortable stay. Our room had a balcony overlooking the pool. In the morning Alicia at the front desk was very sweet and went above and beyond to answer our questions and make our visit a pleasant one. We didn't have time to use the pool, but it was warm and looked inviting. The breakfast is in an attached restaurant and we were blown away by the beautiful room and view of the harbor. The selection of breakfast foods was excellent. The wait staff was extremely attentive and it was by the far the best complimentary breakfast we've had at any hotel. If we have the pleasure of visiting Long Beach again, we will definitely stay at the Golden Sails Hotel. Thank you, Trip Advisor, for a great recommendation and thank you, Golden Sails, for a great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room toward the back, away from PCH
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
California
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Best Western Golden Sails is a very nice hotel and the staff very friendly. Convenient location, close to restaurants and stores. On location is a great restaurant and night club. Some rooms have views of the harbor and as the sun sets it is a great way to end the day!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Temecula, California
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Rooms clean, well decorated, decent size, beds are great, bathroom and towels spotless. Not sure what these other reviews are having a problem with.
Gym was brilliant and open 24hrs, well appointed pool and spa, (in a court yard).
All the staff and the service was outstanding. I do not find this service at a Marriott or Hilton. I was totally blown away by this unassuming "Best Western". Can not wait to revisit, unfortunatley we only had one night, in March 2013. We where very tired and forgot to make notes of the staff names, but truly it was every staff member we encountered. Oh and the breakfast and wait staff were also amazing. Hope to find an excuse to be back soon.

Room Tip: Our room did not have a balcony, which I wanted, we just called downstairs and they were only too ha...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I REALLY don't understand the extremes in these reviews. I was asked by hotel staff to modify my original title so, I have modified my title and am modifying this part of my review. But I really don't get the extremes. Maybe some rooms are better than others? I stayed here based on the extremely positive reviews, but the reviews did not accurately reflect what I experienced on my stay.

PROS: STAFF
*Staff works hard to clean. They start early! They work extremely hard to satisfy your needs.
Lots of strip malls accessible only by car.

-No pet policy is good for this place.

CONS: FACILITY
-Dated, old building, extremely in need of an upgrade!!!!

-Popcorn ceilings in rooms.
-They've upgraded the furniture, but you can't tell because of the room walls and the old, really old and yellowed corridors. Woodened, varnished doors.

-On very busy highway!! Not really walkable. Hard to turn into the parking lot without racing by a freeway of cars!
Very NOISY ROOM!
-We were on the 4th floor facing PCH.
Yellowed AC plastic unit which brings in outside noise from hole created in wall.

-7 ft hallway ceilings-son and 6'1" would have had problems had he been taller or tried to jump.
-Bath towels only, no hand towels or wash cloths in room. Staff worked quickly to resolve.

-Check in-lobby wall is tacky with 100's of men's hats from Navy. It belongs in another area to honor them appropriately.
I could hear the neighbor turn on his shower complete with squeaks and all.

Breakfast was mediocre-potatoes and eggs in chafing dishes were cold and no sterno to heat them. One waffle maker was working so there was a line for the one, and people were letting the batter burn so, more work for the busy staff.
Staff at breakfast was very attentive.
Again, except for the staff, this hotel needs some serious upgrades. I was offered a refund by the manager today, but I always teach my children that we pay for what we use. I couldn't, in good conscience, take money for services that I had used in their facility-bed, shower, breakfast.

Room Tip: You're on your own! Don't get anything facing PCH!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank beawade
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Had a quick trip for a few nights recently and everyone on the staff was outstanding to work with.
Being a Vet - seeing the DOD display at reception is one of the better sights on the grounds. Breakfast "Chow' was always hot and enough of it to go around. The view over the marina at daylight started out the day just right. Being on PCH - you are close to everything with entertainment at the ballroom or close by for your free time. I plan to stay again when I return next year. Thanks again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo