“An unexpected surprise”

Best Western Golden Sails Hotel
Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went to a hotel we had frequented in the past and it was a mess. They recommended this hotel and we were delighted with the room, the breakfast, and the friendliness of everyone there. We arrived late at night and they allowed us a late check out. My husband enjoyed the pool for a quick dip in the morning and it was a great surprise that breakfast was served in a lovely dining room next door. The room was clean and comfy - altho I will never get over these overhead air conditioners which blow right on the bed. I woke up stuffy headed. Other than that, I cannot complain about anything. And the price was excellent. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RoseannaS
BWGoldenSailsHotel, General Manager at Best Western Golden Sails Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Thank you for writing the review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at our Hotel.

We are sorry for our not exceeding your expectations. While we appreciate your remarks, we would like to point out that majority of our guests had only good things to write about our hotel and our service in the Tripadvisor. The following are some recent comments. "This was a great hotel and is a great value with very friendly staff”. "We went to a hotel we had frequented in the past and it was a mess. They recommended this hotel and we were delighted with the room and service".

Guests' satisfaction is important to us and we will do everything possible to make our guests happy and comfortable. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again. Mathew Daniel

There are newer reviews for Best Western Golden Sails Hotel

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had a high floor with a balcony which was nice. The room was big and clean and the beds were super comfortable. There are parts of the hotel which let it down, the corridor was old and dated and the outside didn't quite live up to it's pictures but we had a good nights sleep and the breakfast was superb. You have breakfast in the club attached to the hotel in a dining room overlooking the marina. The tables had tablecloths on and it was proper plates and cutlery. The waiting staff were very polite and poured the coffee and brought us hot water for my tea. The breakfast was tasty with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and hash browns. There was also cereals and fruit juices. All the staff we encountered were nice and polite. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Coleraine3
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I booked this hotel for two days Sept 14-15, 2012 in order to come out and get our last beach weekend of the season. I read through the reviews and went ahead and used my free night voucher and paid for the second night.

the hotel is old.
the carpets and paint are tired.
it has some issues.
there is a 'funky' smell in the halls. (I am thinking it is the carpet cleaner used.)
the breakfast is the best part of the day. (Not really, but I will get to that in a sec)

That said; the staff has been nothing but friendly and wanting to help. From the gentleman at the desk when I checked in who took the extra time to make sure I had the same room for both nights since BW insists on two seperate reservations when using a voucher. To the lady this morning who wanted to understand my issue with the smoke detector which chirped all night. (In front of 482, needs a new battery. Dunno why maint did not catch it...)

The bed was very comfortable. The sheets clean, crisp and white. The towels the same. The shower has a drain issue as it backs up a little before it drains the tub completely when using the shower. (Let me update that as I type, wife just called from shower saying the water is up to her ankles and rising....I will be letting the desk know.)

As for the PCH noise. We were in 480 on the highway side of the hotel. I have the sliding glass door open and I hear the traffic, but last night I did not to a degree which disturbed me.

The AC was slightly loud, but again, I have not been in a hotel like this with the window or wall units where there was no noise, they simply are not the quietest machines out there.

Now to breakfast; You recieve two vouchers for breakfast each day. The spread is actuallyone f the best we have seen. However there are two major issues we have with it;

1) Coffee -- The coffee was stale and strong. I believe the correct term is 'mud'. We ended up going to McDonalds for coffee.

2) Fruit -- The fruit did not have any taste to my wife.

The juice was good, the eggs watery (Hard not to with reconstituted stuff). The sausage and bacon were great. There was a waffle maker .

The two gentlemen serving did not seem to be having a good day. They were barely friendly and I really did not want to bother them for anything.

The internet -- I am using it as I type, there is an extra step in our computer to get hooked up, but it seems to be working ok. How it works in the wings of the hotel, I cannot tell you.

The exercise room and the hotel computers are in the same place. I did nto thing the universal machine was that old and the other equipment seemed to be recent.

A final note -- this hotel caters to the military and contractors who work in the defense industry here in Long Beach or come in for meetings and events.

I am off to Seal Beach now for a day in the sun. All in all, this hotel is no where near the worst we have ever experienced, nor is it at the top. It simply is average. It does have the potential to be a great hotel with a little TLC. I encourage the owners to invest a little as this economy is starting to recover and see what happens to their bottom line.

Room Tip: We were in 480, had a wonderful view of PCH and the Marina. If you squint, you can see the cranes o...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravellingAZTeacher

We appreciate your remarks. We will be using them to improve our service to offer a better experience for our guests in the future. We also appreciate your positive comments about certain areas you liked.

Guests' satisfaction is important to us. As you would see most of our reviews in the Tripadvisor are positive about our hotel and our service. We hope that you will consider staying with us again and that we will have another chance to serve you better.

Thank you. Mathew Daniel

Reviewed August 23, 2012

So after seeing their website and nice pics and video and 360 view of property I booked this for 3 days for my family and my friends family ,I was very exited that they will all going to love this hotel.
I was so exited and I asked my friend to drop me at front office first and wanted to get keys as soon as possible..but as soon as I enter in first room ..shocked ..!! and same with 2nd room..
it's 2 floor hotel and you have main road in front of your room. So story is ..it has 1900 A/C ,1990 tube T.V ..if you care to walk without shoe in carpet ..you will see how nice would be your feet after that..and come on ..we are in 21st century why don't people care of this.

So after seeing both room I thought I came in wrong room or got assigned to some old room..I went to front desk again and asked if they have any other room .."recently renovated". He told that yes and gave me 2 more keys and as expected ..both other were same....I asked renovated where you have good carpet ,bed and good a.c. He told we have same rooms all over..
it was 1 a.m and I just want to sleep ..in between I see faces from my other friends family and I felt very bad ..! what I have done.....next morning..since I am busy professional I have to work ..so walk up early around 5 a.m and looking for wifi connection and my laptop had tough time searching them and as expected ,how you can expect good wifi in this property ..I was totally lost and was trying to calm down..since I had no choice now..!

so again 7 a.m went to frond office and told that I am having trouble in wifi and he told did you tried our all routers ..I said what do you mean..he said we have multiple connections in this property and I told I am IT guy and knows all these things..and nothing working...!! he said I will check with support staff and get back to you..I said call me as soon as possible. but as expected no calls up to 9 a.m and that time I had to leave so that my family can enjoy at least out site..LA was wonderful though !!

Night when came back same story ..there was one connection which comes for 2 min and goes back again..so you have 2 min to check things with very poor signals .. I would say this should the number 1 priority of any hotel to make sure guest must have good wifi connections in today time!!
But see who cares ..! In pics it looks like you are very near to beach ..but please folks it's no where ..!! you will see road only in your front with lots of noise!!

If you really want to see all the stuff of 1990 then this is the best place to stay!! They says we have free complementary b'fast, yes they have with vouchers for 2 people and if you have 2 kids with you then you pay $9 each. But my initial impression was at least kids will eat free..!
So in short ,I was in impression that best western is good hotel chain and you can't go wrong with this..I guess no more..as my dream was over!!

I can go on and on ..but I guess I conveyed my message that management should take an immediate action on this property !!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pankaj J

Thank you for writing the review. We always strive to provide excellent service to our guests but it was unfortunate that our facility did not meet your expectation. We apologise for not meeting your expectation. Your feedback will help us to focus on areas that need improvement. Guests' satisfaction is our number one priority and we will do everthing posible to create an enjoyable experience to each of our guests. Thank you. Mathew Daniel

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I recently traveled to Long Beach for a business trip. I was here two years ago, but stayed at the overflow hotel approximately 3 miles away. This trip I had reservations for the primary hotel which was The Best Western on Pacicfic Coast Highway. Upon check-in I was surprised to see how outdated this property was. I am well aware of the older themes of some hotels in S. California, but this was not just an old theme, it is just plan old. Entering my small room made me feel as though I had trveled back in time to a motel style enviroment. The airconditioner was a window unit which fought to cool off the room. The gym was a couple of pieces of old universal equipment (a pass was offered for a nearby gym). The highlight of this hotel is its food and beverage, both were very good, but shadowed by the discomfort of the room. I checked out and went to the overflow which was far more comfortable.

Room Tip: select another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
BWGoldenSailsHotel, General Manager at Best Western Golden Sails Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Mathew Daniel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Sails Hotel, responded to this review

September 27, 2012

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We came to Long Beach for a weekend of dragonboat racing. Best Western Golden Sails was a great place to land. We raced Saturday and Sunday. The staff was great with dining recommendations. The pool area was a great place to relax, unwind and reflect on the weekend.
One of my teammates became ill during races. The hotel was great re: assisting in dispatching cab for teammate back to hotel!!

Room Tip: Ask for balcony room. We didn't use the spa or breakfast (too busy) Ask for rooms with max wind...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed here last week for 2nights for an event that was happening at the Marine stadium just down the road. Got there and the lady at the front desk was busy on her phone texting before she helped us. The check in process was smooth after that. The rooms are dark, but do have a stove, microwave, and sink. They are 80's motif but do function if you are looking to use them. The a/c unit was one that you see at someones house sticking out of the window. It was noisy and if you wanted to sleep you would have to turn it off. We checked out on Sunday and wanted to leave our luggage there for the day since the rest of our group was staying until Monday but were already at the event we were attending. The front desk ladies were less then friendly when we inquired if we could leave our bags with the bell desk. Her reply was that there was no bell desk on Sundays and with the attitude of you're checking out so why should I be of any help. I asked if we could leave them at the front desk and she said their shift would be done when we got back. I was less concerned with her shift as to whether my luggage was still going to be there. I will push for our group of 10 rooms to move to another venue next year as the event we attend is every July.

Room Tip: Choose it for location only. If you want service or amenities...keep looking.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sflatinhouse
BWGoldenSailsHotel, General Manager at Best Western Golden Sails Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

We apologize for our not exceeding your expectations and are sorry for the inconvenience that caused. We appreciate your remarks. We will be using them to improve our service to offer a better experience for our guests in the future. we have few rooms with stove that were rented as Kitchennets one time. We don't have kitchennets any more and therefore those stoves are not in use.

Guests' satisfaction is important to us. You will see that majority of the people had only good things to write about our hotel and our service. We hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we will have another chance to serve you better.

we appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again. Mathew Daniel