“Beautiful new place, Grand Opening Night”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Carlton Motel Long Beach
Ranked #49 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We booked this hotel since the night we were going to stay there was the day they have there grand re-opening. Amazing place they did a very good job on redoing the whole hotel, very clean and nice new rooms. Big LED TV and nice comfortable beds! Best place i have stayed in for that price. Looking at the past people that stayed here it seemed very bad, but thought we would give it a shot since its redone and to me it seems like a day and night differences from what it was to what it is. I will always stay here when im in town.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I booked a room through hotels.com for the carlton motel and prepaid with my debit card. Then when I arrived at the motel they apparently didn't have my booking and told me I had to pay again to check in. I told them about hotels.com but they wouldn't budge, finally I gave in and tried to pay with my card. After running the card the attendant told me it had failed and that I had to pay cash. Panicked that my account was out of money and with no where else to go I offered him the $50 I had left in my wallet and he finally gave me a room. When I got home from my trip I then was able to check my account and found NOT ONLY the hotels.com charge BUT ALSO a charge from the carlton motel long beach - meaning my card worked the first time he ran it and then he forced me to pay AGAIN. I feel like a fool for falling for such terrible business practices.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Austin C
Reviewed August 13, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE. First off, I paid $60 for the room so I wasn't expecting much. But yellow stains on the sheets, black marks on the pillows, bong cleaning items on the floor, holes in the towels, and bugs on the floor is a bit much. I spilled water on the tile by the bathroom and when I wiped it up, the towel was black. I was up all night listening to the people next door have sex, so the walls are thin. I slept on top of a blanket I brought with me because I was so affraid of the bed. It was finally morning and I wanted to get the hell out of that place but when I went to check out, I had to wait 15 minutes before someone even came to the window! They advertise HBO, but they don't have it. Do not believe the pictures that they have shown. Staff is rude, no ice machine, I think this is a prostitute hotel. Pretty much ruined my whole trip.

Room Tip: do not pick any room
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank cami k
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We booked our reservation on www.orbtiz.com
when we arrived the guests in front of us were arguing with the motel mgr/owner stating they would not pay extra money for something they already paid for via travelocity the person at the window was rude told them he wouldn't honor the rate they prepaid and if they wanted the room they would have to pay more for it. They stepped aside and i asked to check in. he told me "we are sold out i have no rooms" i said "orbitz just prepaid my res to my cc and i'd like my room. He again gruffed at me "i have no rooms" i showed him the screen for orbitz saying they had two more rooms for sale, he said that was impossible as they were sold out. i told him he needed to close out his bookings with orbitz for the night otherwise the rooms will sell. I again asked for a room. he told me if they don't take the room then you can have it BUT you have to pay $81 for it. I told him i wouldn't pay again cuz it was prepaid he said "oh well no room": I called orbitz they were useless they faxed the reservation and told him he had to honor it he said he wouldnt. the city was sold out and we had no choice so we gave him our credit card and paid $30 more than what our reservation was for and orbitz said they would refund it. Orbitz has refused to refund our room in fact they charged us twice and the hotel refuses to refund the charge. we have filed disputes with our CC company for all three charges. They were rude, mean, threatened to not give me my room when i wouldn't pay the extra. They did not honor the two night stay as we booked and they refused to 'walk us" for the overbooking situation we ended up having to cancel our plans for the second day because they would not give us a room. This has been the worst hotel experience i have ever had and the hotel absolutely refuses to refund the duplicate bookings or the reservation that they refused to honor from orbitz.

ALSO NOTE ORBITZ states that this hotel comes with FREE Continental Breakfast. IT DOES NOT.

The rooms are very small think dorm room size or small cruise cabin size. they do not use hotel quality sheets or linens it is basic linens you would have in your home so they are worn excessively and dirty. there was one towel in the room.

they do not provide any toiletries.

the parking is terrible if you have anything larger than a compact car forget parking there.

the walls are paper think we could here the drunks and partiers all night through the walls until 3a and then when the people next door awoke at 630a to shower and get ready we heard every move they made.

the carpets were dirty, our children walked around with white socks on and they were black from just walking on them for a couple hours.

the young man who worked the front desk was argumentative, knew absolutely nothing about how his online booking system interfaces with his inventory and they forgot to close out their inventory to orbitz and caused this oversell situation to happen and then they refused to replace the room. we had to cancel the second day of our trip because long beach was completely sold out.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BttrfliGoddess
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Myself and my husband planned a wonderful day of sightseeing in Long Beach; so I went on line and found a reasonably priced motel to spend the night in so we didnt have to drive all the way back home that evening. We had a difficult time locating the motel as it is on a very busy blvd. and there are no signs until you are right up on top of it. The place is a DIVE, small dirty, very little parking. When you try to register you have to talk thru a window; as the office is securely locked. The manager was extremely RUDE. I went up to the window to let them know that we were not staying since I was nervous to be in that neighborhood and not impressed by there unkept appearance. I made a reservation the day before online on their web page. The manager told me we WOULD BE CHARGED FOR THE ROOM REGARDLESS since I didnt cancel three days prior to my scheduled arrival time. Again I remind you my reservation was only one day old; after a huge ARGUMENT with the manager he called the owner on the phone, I explained the situation to him to no avail, 2 weeks later they charged by credit card. They had no business asking for my credit card info in the 1st place as I had the option of paying cash which was clearly stated on the web page Dont even bother with this place unless YOU LIKE GETTING SCREWED OVER

Room Tip: Read the reviews. People know Dives when they see them. If you dont feel safe leave.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank er l
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This is absolutely the worst place to stay. The owner/staff was very rude. When I arrived with my friends who were staying at another hotel, the owner wouldn't let me check in until I came back without anyone. When I returned to the hotel the second time to check in, his wife looked in my car to make sure I had no one hiding. The room was not anything like the photos and it did not seem safe at all. I didn't even stay the night, I checked out and went elsewhere. The lady at my new motel told me that Carlton Motel was very unsafe it was not a good place to stay. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES STAY AT THIS MOTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay at the Walls Motel, real close to this place and much better service and staff.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Corey C
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I payed to stay in this hotel for 3 nights. I am a person who looks for a bargain, so the price was right, but this is a place I will never visit again. The staff was incredibly rude, I was freezing the first night, and they refused an extra blanket, or any kind of help. On the Priceline website, it said that we were 10 minutes walking distance from downtown, in reality we were 30 minutes driving. I travel very frequently, and I have never had such an awful experience anywhere. There are many hotels very close to this one, and i strongly suggest you stay in a different location. I am extremely dissatisfied with this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012