“A not so comforting stay at the Comfort Inn”

Comfort Inn & Suites near Long Beach Convention Center
Ranked #18 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were searching for a hotel close to the downtown Convention Center and came upon this property that advertised itself to be just that and has previously attracted reasonably good reviews. We considered that this could work out very well - so much so, in fact, that we might be able to skip getting a rental car and just walk what we thought would be a few short blocks. Unfortunately, this turned out to be not so.

The first clue that things were going awry came as the GPS seemed to be leading us well away from the downtown area. After a number of twists and turns, we came upon the hotel at a location far from what we had thought. It was fortunate that we had decided to rent a car at the last minute, as we were 2 1/2 miles away from where we thought we would be!

Now somewhat apprehensive, we checked in anyway, as we had arrived much later than planned (broken aircraft). We were looking forward to getting settled in quickly, as we needed to make an early meeting the next morning. It would be nice to say that when we entered the room what we found made up for the distant location. I would like to say we have won the lottery, too - but sadly, neither are the case.

In fairness, we were met with fairly spacious living quarters, having a sofa and chair toward the door and a king bed toward the window. However, we found a non-functioning lamp by the bed. The staff did cooperate to change it quickly, replacing it with one that, while giving light, had no switch other than plugging and unplugging the cord! But now with the extra light, we could see that the carpet was almost threadbare. The furniture had obviously seen it's better days, and there was an old style, wall mounted heater.

There were adequate plugs and a desk with a mirror that doubled as a dressing table. The large flat screen television looked impressive, but there was no information provided regarding locating channels, and although there was the occasional high-def channel, those seemed to fade in and out randomly, and the remote had a range of about 2 feet. The bath was quite old with minimal space around the toilet area. Overall, the effect was dark and unwelcoming.

But most troubling was the fact that on both nights of our stay, almost immediately upon entering the room, both of us found something had bitten us and left large, uncomfortable whelps. There were also other unpleasant symptoms best left unsaid. On the first night, we thought it was coincidental, but the same thing occurred again on the second, prompting us to move hotels for the next evening.

There are a number of much better reviews of this property, so perhaps we got the best room in the house - we'll give that the benefit of the doubt. But we cannot in good conscious rate this hotel over a "2" based on our experience. Our advice would be to read all the latest reviews carefully if you are considering this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank SavvyTravelerReviews
comfortlgb, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites near Long Beach Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

First of all I would like to apologize for your unpleasant stay at Comfort Inn Long Beach. Our intention is always to do our best in giving excellent service to our guest. Sometimes we fall short of our desires.
I have been trying to look at our log books to see which room you were staying so that I can try to rectify the problem. I do not see any of the complaints you mention written down. I am hoping you mentioned your concerns to the front desk, so that we may improve in our service. If you would be kind to contact me directly, I would love to speak with you. My phone number at the hotel is 562-426-7611.

Myrtle Robertson

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed 2 night while vacationing in the Southern Calif area. Service was great. All staff members were very friendly and helpful. We were given a handicap room which we did not request. We could have asked to change but the room was fine. Grounds are very well kept up. Breakfast very good (especially for a Motel). We took a LA tour and the tour company picked us up at the door. If returning to LA will definately stay here. We always try to stay at a Comfort Inn/Comfort Inn & Suites.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MaryLou P
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed here 1 night before another short cruise. Again, the staff were excellent - super friendly and also efficient. I had the added plus of getting some advice from someone at the desk, to change my reservation to a room that would suit us better. My friend smokes, but the desk clerk advised me to change it to a non-smoking room that was just a few steps away from the courtyard / smoking area. Also, her son uses a w/c most of the time. Friend said it was the best layout for an accessible hotel room she's seen. Usually she avoids the rooms because she can help her son maneuver without the chair when needed. The bathroom was very large, had a real tub and not the shower that lets the water go all over the floor you generally get in an accessible room.
The breakfast was good, plentiful and at least on the day of our visit there was adequate room for seating. I reserved a larger room, 2 queen beds and we also got a roll away. I will say my bed had a mattress that wasn't great. There was a great slope to it - to the point I nearly felt like I would roll out on to the floor on the low side. I slept on the other end that had seen less traffic & it was better.
The outside appearance of the property is not great - 9 yr old son of my friend said it looked like a prison, no windows. As soon as you are inside though it is fine and the courtyard & bright colors makes it look inviting I thought. The rooms are large & spacious, there are many places to get a bite to eat close by but mainly fast food. There is a starbucks on the other side of the 24 hr drug store across the street. Also an Albertsons that we bought some great flowers to take on board the ship for our cabin. I'm always on a budget but this place is great - large room, clean, service that can't be beat from the employees. If you don't need luxury but still require a clean well managed property, this hotel is a gem.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank tink360
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Ive stayed at the comfort inn in long beach many times.The service is always great,The management and staff always great.I have never stayed at a hotel that was as clean and orginized.When i am in Long Beach i will never choose to stay anywhere else because of people like Mertal & Christian.ALL OF THEIR STAFF MEMBERS ARE SO HELPFULL.

Room Tip: "Stay in the kitchen Room for business"
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank bradley b
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights here. We saw previous reviews on this site and decided to give the Comfort Inn a try. The staff was very pleasant and helpful with tips on the area. There is a free buffet type breakfast which was fine - cereal, waffles, fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, juice,etc. The dining area was very clean and well stocked. Our large room upstairs had a balcony with table and chairs. It overlooked the pool and grass area. We didn't use the pool, but it was big. Our "front" door faced the busy street but was relatively sound-proofed. We only heard some sirens and trash trucks one morning. Both the room and bathroom very clean. Some furniture is dated and yes, there were a few small stains on the upholstered ottoman where countless people have rested their feet. There was a desk with large office chair. The king bed was comfortable. No "dining" type table or chairs other than the one on the balcony. Microwave and fridge in room, plus a small coffee maker. TV was large flat screen. Only drawbacks I could find were in the bathroom: the sink took awhile to drain and the hot water in the shower didn't get as hot as I like. All of the motel rooms are accessed thru gates with your keycard. Some reviews mentioned the area as not being the best. There are a few homeless people in the neighborhood, but none I spotted by the motel. There were guards at night at the CVS and Albertson's across the street. We felt fine walking over there to shop at both places in the evening. The stores look newer and are large and well lit. Motel less than a mile from both the 710 & 405 freeways. The metrolink bus/train is about a block away also.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room facing the pool. Balcony was a nice feature.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank monarat
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed for three nights and overall it was fine. Rooms are huge, noise wasn't an issue, good front desk, nice pool, decent breakfast. I also liked the location with fast food choices next door and shopping across the street. The rooms are somewhat dated however, and the chair and couch looked like 70s vintage and had visible stains.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SpiralDive9
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Each year we come to town for a sportwear convention, and this year we decided to change from our usual hotel choice. I'm glad we did because this is a great place. The staff is really helpful here. Carrie and Jimmy carried ALL of our lugguage upstairs without hesitation. We had a lot of stuff because of merchandise needed for our booth at the convention.They were both very friendly and assisted everyone in our party. We actually needed help with transporting our stuff to and from the show daily so she arranged a deal with a cabbie to help us everyday. We had three rooms and that were all very comfortable and super clean. free breakfast was great. This is a nice safe location with plenty of stores and food nearby. They even had STARBUCKS right across street.

Room Tip: This place does not have an elevator...so be sure to request a first floor room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business