We were searching for a hotel close to the downtown Convention Center and came upon this property that advertised itself to be just that and has previously attracted reasonably good reviews. We considered that this could work out very well - so much so, in fact, that we might be able to skip getting a rental car and just walk what we thought would be a few short blocks. Unfortunately, this turned out to be not so.
The first clue that things were going awry came as the GPS seemed to be leading us well away from the downtown area. After a number of twists and turns, we came upon the hotel at a location far from what we had thought. It was fortunate that we had decided to rent a car at the last minute, as we were 2 1/2 miles away from where we thought we would be!
Now somewhat apprehensive, we checked in anyway, as we had arrived much later than planned (broken aircraft). We were looking forward to getting settled in quickly, as we needed to make an early meeting the next morning. It would be nice to say that when we entered the room what we found made up for the distant location. I would like to say we have won the lottery, too - but sadly, neither are the case.
In fairness, we were met with fairly spacious living quarters, having a sofa and chair toward the door and a king bed toward the window. However, we found a non-functioning lamp by the bed. The staff did cooperate to change it quickly, replacing it with one that, while giving light, had no switch other than plugging and unplugging the cord! But now with the extra light, we could see that the carpet was almost threadbare. The furniture had obviously seen it's better days, and there was an old style, wall mounted heater.
There were adequate plugs and a desk with a mirror that doubled as a dressing table. The large flat screen television looked impressive, but there was no information provided regarding locating channels, and although there was the occasional high-def channel, those seemed to fade in and out randomly, and the remote had a range of about 2 feet. The bath was quite old with minimal space around the toilet area. Overall, the effect was dark and unwelcoming.
But most troubling was the fact that on both nights of our stay, almost immediately upon entering the room, both of us found something had bitten us and left large, uncomfortable whelps. There were also other unpleasant symptoms best left unsaid. On the first night, we thought it was coincidental, but the same thing occurred again on the second, prompting us to move hotels for the next evening.
There are a number of much better reviews of this property, so perhaps we got the best room in the house - we'll give that the benefit of the doubt. But we cannot in good conscious rate this hotel over a "2" based on our experience. Our advice would be to read all the latest reviews carefully if you are considering this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located Comfort Inn & Suites provides easy access to waterfront attractions, including the historic Queen Mary ocean liner, Carnival Cruise Terminal and the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line and Catalina Island. The hotel is also just 3 miles from the Long Beach Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Choice Hotels, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Comfort Inn & Suites near Long Beach Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn And Suites Long Beach
- Comfort Inn & Suites Long Beach Hotel Long Beach
- Comfort Inn Long Beach
- Long Beach Comfort Inn