“Quiet Time at McKenna's”
Review of McKenna's on the Bay - CLOSED

McKenna's on the Bay
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd St.
Transit: Long Beach Red Bus to Marina Drive: Water taxi from downtown Long Beach
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My friend had a layover in Long Beach for 5 hours and I decided to take her to Mckenna's. We just so happened to be coming in around 3:00pm when they were changing from breakfast & Lunch to dinner so the Bar & Sushi Menu was all that was available. The view was great and the booth we sat in could of fit 3-4 people easy, very comfortable. We had a lovely time visiting over coffee and the waitresses were very attentive. We got calamari and two sushi rolls and the food was very good. There was hardly anyone in the restaurant at this time which made our visit even more intimate. All and all great place. A bit pricey $60.00 with tip, but that's the price you pay for the view I guess.

There are newer reviews for McKenna's on the Bay

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed their happy hour bar menu, the sourdough bread was amazing....our group had the clam chowder, sliders, calamari & Ling Beach Roll-all were delicious! The servers, Dana & Nick, were extremely attentive without being overbearing. I would have to agree that prices seemed a bit overpriced however, you get what you pat for. We will definitely be back.....enjoy!!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I met an old friend of mine for dinner here. I had an excellent filet. He had two types of oysters followed by grilled fish. My girlfriend had lobster ravioli. We all enjoyed our meal. The waitress was very attentive. I would recommend sitting out on the deck overlooking the harbor both for the view and because the live music inside was too noisy to allow conversation (though the music was nice). I will say that the food was good, but the total for three people was 249.00, which was incredibly high considering what we ordered.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Went to McKenna's for dinner. Friday night. Got seated right away. Ordered the crab cake appetizer- $18.00.When it was served, received 2 cakes about 3" diameter each. For $18.00- come on! Asked for manager or assistant manager. A very polite female came up to the table and inquired of our concern. She said their price is based upon what they have to pay for the real crab meat.They were very good, but not for the price. The manager agreed to bring us 1 more crab cake as part of the order. In looking at the rest of the menu items, I was shocked at the prices- Prime Rib- almost $50.00! I had the crusted Tuna, which was served in two triangle portions. For the price, again, I thought the portions were small. Due to their prices, probably will not be going back anytime soon. However, their fresh sourdough bread is excellent and our server was VERY accommodation and attentive.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I have been a regular since they opened but it will be a while before I return, McKenna's changes their menu concept regularly and this one is not working. Avoid the pasta dishes. The black spaghetti with seafood was inedible. Literally could not eat it. Shrimp with angel hair pasta had a few overcooked rubbery shrimp a tasteless tomato sauce and pasta. Pot roast might be tasty - but who eats pot roast in the summer? Baked chicken is, well, baked chicken. Bland. Steaks are okay, but for the price go to 555 downtown for a memorable meal. The seared scallops should really taste better but the sauce seems too sweet, side dishes too rich. Swordfish was really fishy tasting. Oysters just looked off. We ate about half of them. Server said that no good oysters are available this time of year but 2 days later we went to Walt's Wharf and had wonderful oysters. The sushi is good, and right now that's about it. Note to management: please fix this! You have a great location and this place needs to be better.