“Great experience”

Cross street: 2nd Street
Ferndale, California
“Great experience”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

First off, the atmosphere is just wonderful. The restaurant sits right on the waterfront which is a perfect vantage point to watch the large boats cruising around. The decor is relaxing, romantic and lively. It seems like a place situated in Bali or Hawaii.

I visited Tantalum on a Tuesday evening during happy hour. The appetizers were absolutely delicious. Try the skinny fries, calamari, ahi sliders....actually everything was wonderful and fresh.
The Kobe burger was awesome, as well. The servers were helpful and friendly.
There is live music about 4 nights a week.

The only negative is the prices. It is semi expensive and easy to rack up quite a pricey tab. Great place for special events, meeting friends after work or having a romantic evening.

• Visited April 2013

Winnipeg, Canada
“Great Friday night”
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We were a party of 3 on Friday, Apr 5th. Make a reservation because the place is hopping. Parking is not a problem since the restaurant is located at the end of Marina Pacifica. Bar scene was lively, and patrons were a mix of office crowd and family/friend combinations. We all opted for seafood dinners which were fresh, delicious and original --- very much the fusion cuisine that makes a restaurant interesting to go back to. The entrees are worth the price. Service is friendly and efficient. Interior was creatively done, and an entire wall of the restaurant has a dramatic view of the marina. Power blinds lower/raise screens that filter rays of the setting sun. It's a trendy place for a big date, a business deal, or just relaxing after a busy day.

• Visited April 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Happening place, great location and perfectly cooked food”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I went here last weekend with a group of 6 and we had so much fun. Right on the water so the view was wonderful. It was really crowded on a Saturday night so I would definitely recommend making reservations, which we did. They only require half of your party to be there to seat you so that was nice. Because it's a popular place, it's a louder restaurant so it's a great place to go out and have a great time and laugh with friends without disturbing other tables.

The menu was fantastic. I had the St M Riesling from Germany so if you are a riesling lover like I am then you will really like this one. The food was incredible. I started with the KABOCHA & WINTER SQUASH BISQUE with jalepeño creme fraiche, cinnamon ciabatta crouton. WOW!!! Wonderful flavor! Perfect taste of jalapeño. Wasn't spicy. It tasted like they had taken the seeds out before they put the japapeños in the soup, which I like because I enjoyed the taste and flavor, without the heat. Then I had the bacon wrapped scallops as my main dish. Scallops were cooked perfectly.

Really lovely night out, and plenty of free parking. You can't beat that.

• Visited March 2013
“Great view, wonderful food”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Great happy hour prices, either way I must recommend the tuna tar tar, the best I've had. Calamari also delicious. For dinner had the wasabi crusted beef( think it was filet or rib eye) but was amazing. There is a great coupon on restaurant dot com for tantalum but would go even if i didn't have one. Dj on some nites but overall a beautiful dining/ lounge experience on the water in marina pacifica!

Flemington, NJ
“Great food in a relaxed atmosphere with excellent service”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

One of my best friends was kind enough to take me to Tantalum for a very nice, relaxing dinner. While the facade is somewhat unassuming, the entrance to the restaurant is nice and pretty elaborate with a walkway lined with plants and plastered with faux cobblestones(?). The people at the front desk are friendly and you get your first glimpse of a most spectacular view of the harbor from there. I guess the view makes it important to keep the bar area open, but I like my bars a bit cozier and friendlier, this seemed a bit too zoo-like for me. Our table had a great view which made up for the somewhat more barren "backside" of the room.
But of course, like in any restaurant, it all revolved around the food. I really liked the edamame bean appetizer, that hint of wasabi was a nice counterpoint to the salty crunch of the beans. I had the special, a port braised short rib on a bed of caramelized, chorizo brussel sprouts complimented with dried sour cherries for a bit of acidity. The flavors were excellent and the meat was so tender it fell apart with the fork. If you are a bit of a pain/picky eater like myself, it is somewhat difficult to avoid the chunks of fat.(I know this cut is very marbled wand makes the meat juicy and tender, but I'd still rather avoid eating those chunks). It's difficult because the light is rather low. It helps with ambience,hides small imperfections in your face :-)... but makes it a bit harder to eat your food. My friend enjoyed the ahi tuna which came with wasabi rice. The portions were ample so neither one of us had any room for dessert, but we both had a martini. I'd definitely order the cucumber crush again. It was very refreshing. Our waiter was very nice and even kept us appraised of the game's score. Overall, a very nice dinner and a very nice end to a great day.

• Visited January 2013