“What a Great Place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 11 Long Beach B&B and Inns
Norwood, PA
“What a Great Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2006

The Beachrunners Inn was a wonderful place to stay. We spotted it in a AAA Tourbook and found that it was centrally located in Long Beach, close to both Downtown and to Belmont Shores, conveniently located to many attractions in the area. Off street parking was included. The hosts were very accommodating, from waiting up for a lost luggage delivery to adding oatmeal to the breakfast after we mentioned we liked it. It was very clean, the rooms were quite nice, and they even provided internet access for guests, which was very helpful. We've stayed in a number of B&Bs, but this was the best yet.

3 Thank FranandJim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Canton, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2006

Although I feel the reviewer above had some valid points, my experience was more positive.

The house is beautifully decorated and impeccably clean. Pat and Courtney could not have made me feel more welcome and at home. Moses (Pat's husband) is more reserved, but it is worth taking the time to get to know him. (I was there for several days.) I found them cordial without being intrusive. If you ask for something, they will find/do it for you if at all possible.

I was in the Sunset Beach room and next time would probably go for one of the rooms off Broadway, which is a busy street. As it was winter, even in LA, I didn't often have the window open, so it wasn't bothersome. The trade off is that you get the afternoon light on that side of the house. The towels and robes were thick and delightful -- luxury ammenities for a fraction of the price. My room did not have a tub (some do) but the shower was huge. The house was very quiet and I was genuinely surprised at the number of people at breakfast each morning.

The breakfasts are set out by Pat before she goes off for work. I looked forward to the fruit cups, which were fresh and delightful. On the weekends, she had a cassarole or strata, but often it was a choice of cereals and breads and yogurts with the fruit cups and sometimes bacon or sausages. I often used the guest kitchen to microwave something for a snack or dinner, which was a great convenience. There's a RiteAid within walking distance with convenience foods. Though Pat or Courtney can direct you to "restaurant row" by car, there are also several homestyle restaurants within walking distance.

The Passport buses made getting around Long Beach easy even if you do not want to drive. It's $1 to downtown. Parking is on-street except for two off-street spaces and I never had a problem finding a space (though I nearly got a ticket by misunderstanding a warning about street-sweeping times). The neighborhood felt very safe for a woman traveling alone.

• Stayed January 2006
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank robin v
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2005

I found this bed and breakfast on line. What a wonderful suprise to find it even better than I expected. The home is so chaming, and very inviting. It is also impeccably clean. There were wonderful touches througout the inn such as CD collctions, video choices, plenty of books, a lovely back garden with fountains and hot tub. The owners are also licensed massage Therapist so I took advantage of this feature. The host are very warm and lovely people. I work for an airline and just came here on a whim while in Long Beach to relax, and was so pleased!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2005

I was passing through Long Beach and wanted to stay at a B&B instead of a chain hotel, something near the Long Beach Airport. An Internet search only brought up a couple of B&Bs in the Long Beach area--the Beachrunner's Inn and the Turret House B&B. Although I have a predilection for Victorians, the Beachrunner's Inn's sleek and sophisticated Web site drew me in, so I booked my room there.

Overall, I'm rather perplexed by my stay. The Craftsman-style home is nice, and my room, the Sunset Beach, was clean, though small and a bit too warm (there's no air conditioning to cool it).

It wasn't a bad stay. But it wasn't a great stay either, because:

* The service was so-so. It's run by a family, headed by a mother and daughter, Pat and Courtney, who appear to have other jobs, so their attention didn't seem to be in it as innkeepers.

Pat welcomed me more like an unexpected guest into her home. For a B&B, this left me with an odd feeling. The family occupies most of the house, and a handful of rooms are reserved for guests. As a result, I felt uncomfortable relaxing downstairs in the main room or partaking of the amenities, such as the hot tub out back. Pat's husband was out back smoking cigarettes and seemed to resent the intrusion, so I didn't go outside and use that amenity.

The next morning, I was greeted at breakfast by an empty house. Pat had told me the night before that she had to go to work the next morning, but said that her daughter, Courtney, would be there to greet me at breakfast.

But there was no one to be found. I had a solitary breakfast of bread and cereal, then went upstairs to pack. After calling out a few times, no one appeared, and my cab had by that time arrived for the airport, so I had to leave my room key on the desk with a note.

* The Sunset Beach room faces the street, and is just above a bus stop. Long Beach, like New York, is apparently "a city that never sleeps." So there was traffic outside my room all night long, with busses stopping right under my window, picking people up and dropping them off. Very noisy.

Overall, I'd say shop around if you're looking for that warm and friendly feeling and personal attention. If you don't mind a "do-it-yourself" stay, request one of the rooms in the back of the house, like the Catalina, or Laguna Beach, for less noise.

• Stayed April 2005