“Gourmet at the Queen”

Sir Winston's Restaurant & Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Sir Winston's Restaurant & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 1,116 Restaurants in Long Beach
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Long Beach Passport, Route C.
Description: Five-star dining at its finest, Sir Winston's Restaurant & Lounge is a Long Beach restaurant that boasts impeccable service, a gourmet menu, an extensive wine list and an unmatched ambiance. With stunning seaside views from nearly every seat, Sir Winston's Restaurant & Lounge is perfect for special occasions and everyday enjoyment. At Sir Winston's you don't just eat, you dine.
Long Beach, California
“Gourmet at the Queen”
Reviewed July 3, 2011

One of our favorite restaurants in the world-- gourmet dining, elegant setting and service, open holidays, unique ambiance. Try Christmas or Thanksgiving special dinners-- not cheap, but outstanding experience and fine dining in the Captain's dining room aboard the Queen Mary. Validated parking, too-- can be expensive. Great bar.

• Visited December 2010

San Diego, California
“Excellent - well worth the price”
Reviewed December 29, 2010

My family of five had dinner at Sir Winstons - and I am very happy we ignored some reviews and did this. The entire experience was fabulous - great ambiance, excellent service and the food perfection. Each course was fabulous, and the portions were hearty. I'd heard mixed reviews on this restaurant so I was very apprehensive going in.

Loved this place! Would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a great dining experience.

Sewickley, PA
“We should have known better.”
Reviewed October 30, 2010

My husband and I are in Southern Callifornia celebrating our entry into the empty-nest phase of life.
We put a lot of thought into this trip, and tried to plan our itinerary carefully. I lived in LA briefly about twenty- five years ago, and remembered a pleasant visit to the Queen Mary. I thought that it would be nice to return to the ship for dinner in its "upscale" restaurant with a nice view of the water and the lights at night. Mistake. The ship and the restaurant exhibited serious signs of wear. Despite the description of appropriate attire as "smart casual," the restaurant was full of folks in jeans and tees, There was even a twelve year old rolling around in the floor behind us! The food was bland, blah, and overpriced, and the service was spotty. Although we were well attended throughout most of the meal, we sat with our finshed plates in front of us for nearly fifteen minutes. By that time, we were quite ready to leave. LA is full of great restaurants with great views. This is not one of them. What I hoped would be a romantic dinner in an ionic location was, in fact, a mediocre meal in a venue far far past its prime.

Mission Viejo, California
“Sir Winston's was exceptional...”
Reviewed October 6, 2010

I recently had the pleasure of dining at Sir Winston's restaurant in Long Beach, California. My wife and I were indulging in an overnight getaway aboard The Queen Mary, which currently operates as a hotel and museum. Sir Winston's is the elegant dining option. I booked a suite and made dinner reservations via Open Table online. After reading a wide range of reviews of the hotel, we felt we had the appropriate expectations for our trip.

The Queen Mary is a grand and charming vessel, and she is well maintained for being nearly 80 years old and having traversed the Atlantic 519 times during her commission. As you explore her decks, you can easily imagine what ship life would have been like for the wealthy who travelled between New York and London in the 1930's and 1940's. This was ultimate luxury for its time, and there are numerous pictures currently on display of royalty, politicos and celebrities enjoying themselves aboard, including Winston Churchill, Fred Astaire, Bob Hope, and Clark Gable.

When it came time for dinner, we strolled the wooden promenade and made our way from the Sun Deck to the restaurant. We enjoyed a drink in the lounge, where the bartender was extremely courteous and helped me appreciate the Macallan 25 year old for just $18. The price seemed too low; it must be the current exchange rate with the British Pound. This alone will encourage my return to Sir Winston's! We were seated comfortably by a window with a spectacular view of the Long Beach skyline. There were plenty of window-front tables, making your chances of enjoying the view quite good.

We started with the mushroom strudel and prime rib carpaccio appetizers, both of which were exceptional. Like the name suggests, the mushroom strudel was lightly sweet, with mushrooms baked inside a light, flaky pastry. The crumbled stilton cheese atop the carpaccio provided an unexpected but delightful contrast. We shared a Caesar salad that was, thankfully, served with a real Caesar dressing clearly made in the kitchen recently. The salad was topped with Parmesan crusts, which I personally enjoy much more than croutons.

I ordered the Beef Wellington Signature Dish and my wife ordered the Rack of Lamb. Both dishes were accompanied by perfectly prepared green beans and asparagus and roasted garlic truffle mashed potatoes. There was also a very unwelcome beet, but I chalked it up to being a throwback to some sort of English tradition. While the Wellington was not as pink as it is on Gordon Ramsay's shows, it tasted good and the meat was very tender. The rack of lamb, on the other hand, was so wonderful that mere words fail to adequately describe it. Perfect. Fantastic. These words just don't do it justice! Our thanks to Chef Larry Banares for preparing such a divine dish. We enjoyed a delicious bottle of Joseph Phelps Cabernet throughout our meal.

The staff was engaging and attentive without being intrusive. My only real complaint was the soft, deep rumbling of the air conditioners that was audible throughout the restaurant. But, it really wasn't so bad. Frankly, the sound closely resembled that of ship's engines, and one could easily dream of cruising the Atlantic aboard this majestic ship.

Unless you stay in the Winston Suite, the hotel is arguably three star quality. But our Sir Winston's experience last Friday evening rivaled some of the best 5-star restaurants. We'll definitely be back for a repeat performance - and that lamb....

www.luxspotting.com

2 Thank Luxspotting
“Mixed feelings about this place. Staff...”
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Mixed feelings about this place. Staff was very nice, operations were great. Except that I'm a pollo-pescatarian so I asked if the side that comes with the entree I was thinking about ordering had beef or pork in it. I was told it was vegetarian, but it had bacon floating in it + everything on my plate was floating in it. I know enough to expect this from casual dining, but expect better from fine dining. I also know enough people with allergies that a mistake like this can be life threatening, or at least disrespectful to religious + other dietary restrictions. Portions were larger than expected, but lower quality for the price. The lobster bisque had no lobster flavor. Several of our dishes were over salted + had nearly whole peppercorns. Meats weren't cooked well, generally over. Beans + potatoes under. Desert was burnt + not made properly. Oddly, flavors were good despite the culinary foul ups. In the end, 5 of 7 wished they'd ordered something else. The chocolates after were fabulous. Goes to show, having great food on the menu doesn't always mean having great food on the plate.