“Great view, beware of mold!”

Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #3 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed here for two nights, on the first day, we were checked into a Hilton Honors floor/room. I noticed black mold on the ceiling and on the walls. When I called the front desk to alert them and to request to be moved to a room WITHOUT mold. I was told that they were "very busy right now" so they would have to call me back. After 10 mins, I called them back, and was given the option to "have someone check it out" or to move rooms. When I demanded to move rooms, they said they would have to see what was available and get back to me. After 10 more minutes, I got a call back saying they COULD move me, and that I should understand that this was a significant upgrade, even though it only had a king sized bed, and a pull out couch (the room we booked had two queens). I agreed because anything was better than staying in a room with mold! When the bellman came to move me, he started immediately accusing me of reading previous reviews to get an upgrade, saying "its not that we dont believe you, but this IS an upgrade from your previous room". LOOK, people. I could not have cared less about the size of the room, I just wanted one without mold. The new room was mold-free and had a great view, even though the sofa bed was uncomfortable. Their open air restaurant and bar is their only redeeming quality (and their proximity to the port, of course). I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing service and conditions of the first room of your recent stay. We know our guests deserve the best and we will use your comments as we continually evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' expectations. We have shared your comments with our housekeeping team and assure you appropriate steps have been made to correct the issues you encountered with comfort and cleanliness as your health and safety are our highest priority. Please contact me directly at kristi.allen@hilton.com so I may follow up with the front office and bellman on your interaction. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

The property is renovating rooms so try and get one, they are very nice. The staff were together and on the same page with guests. Customer service is better than ever. The property was very clean and grounds were immaculate. It is very tropical, feeling like you are at a resort instead of just a hotel. You have complete privacy on your balcony from next door neighbors, thanks to the architecture. We chose the first floor, so you can walk straight out to the numerous lounging areas or the harbor front for a stroll. A very special thanks to Andrew at the front desk. Great employee and treats his guests with the utmost professionalism and kindness.

Room Tip: Queen Mary views, bldg. 2-4
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Great to hear. We are so glad you liked the new wood floor rooms. Make sure you request them as not all of them have the wood floors though they should by 2015. It will be a slow process transitioning them due to high occupancy. We are so glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay as well and the service. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

This was very family oriented and provided a lot of beautiful seating areas to enjoy the view. I felt relaxed and the area was quiet enough to not be disrupted during family time. What you should be able to enjoy on vacation, thank-you. All of the staff was very polite and helpful.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for the great review. It is a great family relaxing vacation location. Hope to see you back here again soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

My room was filthy!! I saw 2 cockroaches 1 in the room and 1 in the bathroom! Will never return. The sales manager was very rude as well when stated my issues. Very disappointed nothing worse than filthy bug infested rooms.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Disneylover2121

We sincerely apologize about the water bugs found in your room. As we are located on the water and guests leave their doors and windows open all day enjoying the ocean air, we do occasionally get water bugs(not roaches) in the guest rooms. Please email me directly at kristi.allen@hilton.com so we may discuss your interaction with the front desk agent you spoke with as we certainly strive for great service as you can see inthe other reviews that follow yours. I look forwad to speaking with you.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

we were meeting up with friends to go on a cruise and this is where they were staying and they recommended it so we decided to stay as well. the hotel pricing, rooms, and location was great. If we go back to Long Beach we will definately stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank 22martas
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Thanks for the great comments and come back soon!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent a very romantic weekend here and we just absolutely loved it!! This hotel was absolutely beautiful and we were able to walk over to the Queen Mary. I wish our room had a better view of the water, though, but it nice anyways. We will return again very soon!!

1  Thank Christine M
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Thank you for the wondeful comments. We love them. Come back soon!

Reviewed March 9, 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for one night pre-cruise, and were impressed by the unique decor and lovely waterfront grounds. The manager, Fernando, was especially helpful and accommodating. We requested one of the newly remodeled rooms with wood flooring, which we really enjoyed. Next time we are in Long Beach, we will definitely stay here again!

2  Thank kdion
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Thank you for the great comments. We appreciate your stay with us and hope you come back for longer next time. I will pass the comments on to Fernando as well. Thanks!