“Different, but very nice...”

Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed December 26, 2013

It's a bit difficult to find at first and from exterior appearance it would seem a bit odd looking. But once inside it is very nice. Had a room with a view of the Queen Mary which also overlooks the docks. Word of warning however, if you need peace and quiet and a dark room, don't get a room on the dockside. With the window open at night and with a slight breeze, the sounds of the boats metal clanging in the docks can be unnerving. Also they have floodlights which are constantly changing color and shining in the room can keep you up. The restaurant has decent food but overpriced. Better to head into Long Beach to eat. The

Room Tip: If you need darkness to sleep ask for a room that doesn't have the colored floodlights shining d...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

We are glad you found us and liked us as many call us a hidden gem or a secret hideaway. That is part of the reason we have the colored LED lights, lighting up the hotel so we are not so hidden. Email me your room number so I can make sure the lights are not shining into that room as they should just be on the side of the buildings. Come back again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,770)

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Rose petals on the bed, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in the room, and a view of the bridge and water that is priceless. The service was wonderful, the food was excellent, we even had a free breakfast in the morning. Great location, a free red bus that takes you everywhere you want to go in Long Beach comes to the hotel and picks you up. It was awesome!

Room Tip: There are warm chocolate chip and walnut cookies at check-in. Even if you don't think you'll...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Happy Anniversary. We are so glad you spent it with us and had a wonderful time. See you next year!

Reviewed December 25, 2013

The Hotel Maya is located across the channel from downtown Long Beach near the Port area and the Queen Mary. The hotel is nicely situated on the water and has some great views but is somewhat isolated from other activities. There is a city bus service, the Passport, that runs back and forth form downtown Long Beach on a regular basis. It is about a 20-30 minute walk to the Long Beach waterfront tourist area and slightly longer to downtown. There are several different buildings that house the rooms but all a short walk to the main building. My room was a reasonable size but a bit oddly-shaped. The bed was comfortable and it had a nice patio looking out on the water. The furniture and rug were a bit worn, the bathroom small. The main building had a restaurant that was good but pretty expensive. Hilton status allowed me to get the breakfast buffet free and that was very well-stocked. I attended a business meeting there and the function rooms were fine. Staff was friendly and accommodating. This hotel accommodates a mix of leisure and business clients. It is good for a business function or for work at the Port area; otherwise it's pretty isolated. Not sure it would be my first choice as a leisure destination but it does have a nice pool and facilities. Fitness facility was adequate, nothing special.

Room Tip: Definitely get a water view if you can.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for the review. We are glad you liked the hotel and had a good buisness meeting. I assure you that we are also the perfect leisure destination with a margarita, laying on the beack or next to a waterfront firepit at night, enjoying the Queen mary on one side of us and the aquarium right across the bridge, we are the ideal leisure resort in Long Beach. Come back and try us out!

Reviewed December 19, 2013

My family and parents came in to visit family for our annual Christmas party and the Hotel Maya was a great location for us. Fernando took great care of us so we could also celebrate Christmas with my parents since we won't see them on the actual day! The fire pits and views of the harbor and Queen Mary were quite memorable. Thank you!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

We are so happy your family comes here to celebrate their annual family Christmas together. We have many families who make us a tradition. We wish you and your faimly a great Holiday season and a wonderful 2014.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

The look is very pleasing to the eye. It had a very clean and friendly staff. They recommended a great ride to where I needed to go. The cookies were awesome. I had some trouble with sleeping on the bed but that is normal for me and most hotel beds.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thanks for the comments and glad you liked the hotel. Come back soon!

Reviewed December 18, 2013

The Maya is a water front Hotel with seasoned character. Evey thing from dining to room service is done very efficiently. The staff always gives professional service and the facility has beautiful locations for many types of events, from weddings to board meetings the environment is just right.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

We are glad you enjoyed your stay here and hope to see you back here again soon!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I've stayed in most of the higher-end hotels in Long Beach but this was not one of them. The location is great. On the water with views of the Long Beach skyline and the Queen Mary. The hotel gives off a vibe of a really old place that's been refurbished to appear trendy. The rooms are in 4 separate buildings. There is a nice walkway near the water and nice lounging areas around the property. I did not check out the pool. My room was in the building farthest from the office on the 5th floor. All room doors face into a weird courtyard with lighted chains that run from the ground to the roof. Looked like something right out of the 1970's. The single elevator for the building is very slow. The rooms are not in an interior hallway, so it is a cold trip up to the 5th floor when using the stairs. The buildings are white and at night have strange rainbow colored lights projected on them. My room was fairly quiet once the traffic noise died down and quite spacious (king-size bed) with high ceilings. It felt and smelled old, even though the furnishings were new. The room was shaped kind of like an isosceles triangle. The bed was very comfy. I had a small view of the water and Long Beach skyline. Very pretty at night. Balcony with room for a couple of small chairs and table. The room lighting was good and I was able to plug my phone into the light on the nightstand. The room had a Keurig coffee maker which I thought was a nice touch. The bathroom was rather small compared to the rest of the room, but the sliding bathroom door helped it feel less small. Bathroom had a couple of shelves for personal items, a hair dryer, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and really nice soft towels. The lighting in the bathroom could have been better. I was struck by the granite tiles in the bathroom. To me, granite tiles look very Home Depot. Kind of cheap way of getting the stone look. They had used two slightly different colors in a random pattern. Not sure if it was meant to be that way or the installers just figured the colors were close enough and no one would notice. The threshold was a totally different color. Where the tiles met the bathtub, the seal was messy and the seal they used was a funky grey color that didn't match the tiles! I know it sounds picky but little things like this cheapen the experience. Other than the overall size of the room, I would have been much happier with an ocean view room at the Westin and the Westin would have been about $40 less. Note there is a parking charge at the Maya. Not quite sure why since there is nothing else out there. Being so far away from downtown, there really is no place to eat (other than the restaurant on property) without driving.

I stayed here as my firm was having its holiday dinner at Fuego (on-property restaurant). We were seated in an outdoor area with a view of the water, the city and the Queen Mary. We dined on Friday night and although the restaurant was fairly busy, it was not packed. The location was quite lovely. The tables were flimsy and the chairs were an odd assortment of cushioned chairs and plastic chairs (not what I'd expect when dinners were in the range of $30-$48/pp). Our server was pleasant, but we rarely saw him. The rest of the wait staff seemed very undertrained and awkward. I thought the food was mediocre at best. My food arrived lukewarm and the dessert didn't taste fresh. The desserts tasted like they were purchased from a food service and then hyped on the menu as though they were homemade. Coffee was good, but the staff only brought a very small container of cream for the entire table and never brought refills. Trying to get a water refill was next to impossible. On the other hand, they have a nice selection of high-end tequilas. Wine list was so-so. Too bad the server never asked if we wanted a second cocktail. I think his lack of effort was based on the fact the restaurant put an automatic gratuity on the tab since we had a group of 7. The strangest thing about the restaurant is that it has a hooka bar and restaurant patrons are allowed to smoke at the tables.

Certainly not the worst place I've ever stayed but definitely NOT worth over $200. My rate was $160 (cheapest advance purchase rate) + $24 in taxes and a whopping $21 for parking.

3  Thank Lynne A
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you for your very specific feedback. I will review your comments with my team to see in what areas we can improve as we are always trying to get better. What makes the maya so unique from every other hotel in Long Beach is the beautiful skyline view back to the city and the resort style layout and amenities. We have a waterfront pool with floating cabanas, a 6000 sq foot beach with fire pits, a sand volleyball court, bocce ball courts, brand new fitness center, paddel boarding, sailing, etc. We certainly hope you come back and experience these amenities so you can enjoy the full ambiance of the Maya.