WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #4 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Dirty room with a view!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed 4th of July and booked an ocean view room (costs extra) with the availability of getting my HHonors Diamond upgrade to a bay/city ocean view. When checking in was told that they hotel was unable to accommodate my status as all the rooms were completely booked. When I asked which direction the ocean view was from, I was told my room did NOT have an ocean view. (Even though this is what I had booked and costs extra to do so.)

I told the girl that I can understand getting the shaft for the Diamond room upgrade (as this seems to happen with most hotels I travel to) but that I should at LEAST get the ocean view room that I had booked and paid for. After a few minutes of going back and forth the girl reluctantly said "hold on." Magically with the press of a button an ocean view room had opened up, and it was a Diamond status upgraded room like I should have gotten in the first place. I hate dealing with shady hotel practices.

While the room was great, and we had an idyllic view of the Queen Mary and downtown Long Beach, the room was NOT cleaned well. Beds were made and everything, but there were multiple things throughout the room that were not cleaned AT ALL! We found cobwebs in the corners and walls of the room. (Dusty and looking quite old.) There were cookie crumbs on the safe. There were a pair of cheap plastic earrings left on the dresser by the lamp. The A/C unit controls were filthy, as were the dusty plastic plants attached to the walls. The bathroom was even worse. There were toothpaste spots on the sink and even the walls. And worse of all the toilet had not even been cleaned and there was URINE ALL OVER THE TOILET. A quick pass under the rim revealed a rag of disgusting brown residue. The cleanliness of this room was not acceptable.

Breakfast made things a little better. The staff were friendly and the food was great. There was a great ocean view from outside where we ate! All in all, I feel this hotel is way overpriced, even if the rooms were cleaned and the front desk staff a bit more friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for the comments. We apologize that you did not have the great stay that most of our guests do. It has been a few months since the 4th of July but I did reserach your reservation and you were not booked in a waterview balcony room originally. The 4th of July is our busiest day of the year and we sell out months in advance with many regulars requesting specific rooms which often can not be accomodated due to the sell out. I will review your entire complaint with my team to see how they could have handled the process for effectively. Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Korean first
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

The hotel sits on Long Beach bay with a view of the Queen Mary upstream. The rooms are a nice size, larger than normal but the bathroom was small with no space to put bathroom items. You can tell it is an older hotel that has been refurbished over the years but they have done a great job of keeping it up with nice landscaping. The resturants are nice and at night the hotel seems to come alive with several different area's to enjoy music and conversation. There were two weddings going on while I stayed there and you would never have known. Everyone was very friendly and the pool area was adequate for relaxing and have a drink at the bar. Not all the rooms face the water so make sure you ask for one if you like to sit out on the balcony. If I were to stay one negative, it would be to say the cleaning staff does not do a thorough job. You could see dust, dirt things like that in corners etc. The sidewalks and corridors need a good pressure washing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the water, but be prepared if you are there over a weekend, it might g...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for the comments. I am glad you enjoyed everything. I will take the cleanliness comments and review with my Housekeeping team. As the propertry is located on 11 acres and the buildings are open air atrium style, they do require extensive cleaning regularly. I will look to see what we can do to improve the perception that they are not being cleaned as they definitely are on a consistent basis. Thanks again for the feedback.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels all over the place and have always been pleased when staying at Double Tree. However, I must say that this hotel is especially wonderful! The staff was so helpful and pleasant. The outdoor amenities are a huge bonus! I have not one unpleasant thing to say. I will definitely stay again in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Reviews dont get much better either! Thanks for the great one. We are really happy you enjoyed the hotel, staff and Fuego. Come back soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Very nice place. Bathroom and room very up to date. Stayed with family so would have enjoyed a more private bathroom. Excellent location. Walking distance to the Queen Mary. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

We are so glad your family enjoyed their stay with us. We are a great place for family gatherings though you are right, the bathrooms are a little small for sharing. The majority of the space in our guest rooms, are the living area not the bathrooms. Thanks again for the comments.
Denver, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

The view was beautiful as we knew it would be. The price for the hotel room was astronomical, even with an event block for a wedding. The bar is quite swanky and was enjoyable to be around, however, the $43/person we paid for with Brunch was outrageous. The only getting past this was the bottomless mimosas that helped medicated a sore wound. I would recommend the rooms/stay, but beware- you will be nickled and dimed to death from the parking, to the prices of water!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you liked the hotel and swanky restaurant. I noticed you are from Denver and quite often out of state visitors are surprised by California prices, especially along the waterfront. We certainly try our best to communicate all of our prices on our webistes and menus, etc but I will review with my team to ensure that everything is current.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

The hotel was great. Staff friendly. Neighbors were a little loud the first night, but settled in after that. Had a canine companion. There was plenty of open area to walk her. The staff was very friendly with her. Small elevator intimidated her, but there were plenty of stairs to resolve that issue. Andrew took care of us to ensure I could enjoy the fine Feugo restaurant with my canine companion while ensuring that the dog did not disturb any other guests. (Nice area on the patio away from others.)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Glad you and your dog had a great time at Hotel maya. We are dog-friendly as long as guests tell us they have dogs so we can properly deep clean the room afterwards. With our 11 acre property, there is plenty of space for both dogs and guests to roam. Come back again soon.
Covina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

I decided to take my mom away for a night to help her de-stress and this place could not have been more perfect! Wonderful staff, beautiful location, great food and facilities. I only live 40 min away from this place but I would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Sounds wonderful! We are so glad you both got to destress a bit. Come back soon.