“Lovely hotel, great waterfront views and sounds - but musty rooms”

Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Oakland, California
“Lovely hotel, great waterfront views and sounds - but musty rooms”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I wanted to LOVE this place...I wanted to give it 5 stars. I truly did. But the absolute BEST that I can give a hotel with musty smelling rooms is 4 stars. Plus...it is not convenient to walk to anyplace in Long Beach. This hotel is a bit funky, but in a good way. It feels very much like a hotel in Latin America.
The good stuff:
It is DIRECTLY on the harbor, with great sounds of the water and boats going by. It faces east - overlooking downtown Long Beach. The bars - both indoors and outdoors with fire pits - are directly out of a movie set...gorgeous and fun. The rooms are large and comfortable, the bathrooms small and functional. Great walking/jogging paths. The hotel is very near the Queen Mary (walking distance) if you want to check that out. Parking is free and close to the building. The staff is very friendly and accommodating.
The bad stuff:
Musty smelling rooms: When I walked into my room, it smelled musty. I assumed it was just my room. I was traveling with 3 co-workers...two of them had the exact same experience..the third didn't. I had a harbor facing room on the 3rd floor, so I slept with the sliding glass door open (very nice patio). Probably not safe (anyone coulda climbed up and bashed my head in while I slept), but it was wonderful to get the breeze in my room and hear the water on the shore. The breeze/fresh air also eliminated the musty smell.
Destination hotel: This hotel is GREAT if you want to walk/jog along the waterfront or just enjoy the outdoor area. It is NOT great if you want to walk to a local coffee shop or store. This is across the harbor bridge from downtown Long Beach, so you need to drive to anyplace if you want to dine or drink away from the hotel(other than the Queen Mary).

Be sure to get a room that faces the harbor, and a room on the 3rd or 4th floor (the hotel is 4 floors).

Room Tip: Building 2 is nice, avoid a room on the ground floor so that you can leave your sliding door open to...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for the great comments and we are so happy you loved almost everything! We certainly apologize about the musty smell and will look into it. I believe it is a combo of being right on the water and everyone coming back and forth from the pool but we shampoo those carpets weekly and aiir out the rooms daily.so they shouldnt be musty. We will keep up the efforts! Hope to see you back here soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I took a client down to Long Beach for their Annual Toyota Grand Prix this April. I had been before and stayed at a generic 4-Star Hotel near their downtown Convention Centre. Tons of action...yeah, but lots of noise too. I mean, last year the hotel lobby had so many events going on simultaneously that you needed a KPMG nerd account to find the right booth!

This year I picked the Maya....wadda difference! You cross the short Queensway Bridge to "the Queen Mary side" of Long Beach, and it's like you've entered this quiet resort zone where nobody is yelling for you to buy something, no cops telling you to move along, or that you can't park here.........and you get a million dollar view of the hustling-bustling high-rise side of Long Beach, the Queen Mary, and the ocean.
There was nothing not to like here. Heck, there is even a downtown shuttle bus that picks you up every half hour at the front gate.....FOR FREE!!!
The on-site food and service AND VIEW @ The Fuego Restaurant were all fantastic. The staff all made strong efforts to ensure my client and I were satisfied with everything.....and we were!
This was one of my top five business stays ever, and I've been doing this since 1979! Luxurious & quiet, yet a 3 minute shuttle bus ride to downtown's action. I will be staying here again!

Room Tip: There are 4 buildings. I preferred Building #1 as it was closest to the Fuego Restaurant....but the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ThriftyCanuck
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
We are so glad you loved it. Grand prix can get noisy and busy but we are a nice little oasis directly across the water. The $ water taxi also delivers guests back and forth to grand prix daily in addition to the free bus. We hope to see you back with us next Grand Prix.
United States
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Wonderful hotel! 10 rating! This hotel is a pleasant surprise. You get beautiful views with a beautiful night landscape of lights. The firepits at night have comfortable seating around them and are great for everyone. The pool area gets the same great views and is set up to make you feel like you are in a resort. The rooms are pleasant . We requested a 1st floor room and to our surprise we even got a bit of private grass area beyond our patio. All of the hotel staff was great. We will definately be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Curt M
We rate you a ten as well! Thanks for the great comments. I am glad you enjoyed the first floor patio rooms. They are my favorite as well. Hope to see you back with us again soon!
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Nice hotel, with super friendly attitude from staff.
We didn't bother with sea-view rooms so were given a room on the ground floor in building #3.
Nice, with small terrace.
Large spacious room with warm colours. Bathroom nice as well.
The only downside was that A/C unit was VERY loud... Fortunately, room wasn't too hot without it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Thanks for the great comments and super happy that your family enjoyed their stay. The waterview rooms are really nice but I actually prefer a garden view balcony to a waterview with no balcony because our weather is so nice here that yo will spend the majority of your time lounging on the patio or lounging around one of our 6 fire pits or pool. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!
Buena Park, United States
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Simply amazing! <3 My boyfriend and I spent 1 night at Hotel Maya and fell in love all over again. This place is so romantic even to just be in your room gazing at the view or walking around the property. LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!!! The pool and hot tub area is breath taking! If you get a chance have lunch or dinner at Fuego. Overall, you will not be disappointed!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thanks for the feedback...it is a very romantic place with the fire pits, pool, waterfront views and of course the margaritas in Fuego. We hope you return again to keep the flames going!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights. The rooms are quite hot and stuffy with no ventilation. The air conditioner is beyond noisy and ineffective. Restaurants are fine, the gym has treadmills but only one recumbent bike (would be nice to have a normal bike). Reception is slow and could use some training.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for the feedback though it is certainly not the type we strive to receive from our guests. We just built a brand new beautiful fitness center and thus have heard very few negatives about it but defintely something to consider. We do have real bikes on property for guests to ride along the water though. Please email me at kristi.allen@hilton.com so I may get more info in regards to your room front desk experience so we may work to improve in that area. Thanks again.
Irvine, California
Reviewed May 16, 2013

When you pay a extra to stay overnight with an ocean view you would expect a that the room would be clean - well, actually, I always expect that the room should be clean...But in this case, I expected near perfection. Not the case here. Seemed like the room was used for a massive party the night before and perhaps the maid service was in to big of a rush to do a thorough cleaning. I say that because we found a beer bottle behind one of the chairs in the corner and stains all over the walls. Just Gross! The bathroom was beautifully decorated and although the rooms were not as nice - they still had a modern feel to them. However, despite the upgraded decor I couldn't get the idea out of my head that if the walls were not scrubbed down - and with trash left behind...that perhaps the sheets weren't cleaned also. Anyway, needless to say as much as I enjoyed the view - we spent as much time outside of the room as we could and were happy to leave the following morning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback and I am glad you felt the hotel was beautiful despite the horribly dirty room you had. I reviewed your pictures and this is totally unacceptable and you never should have been checked into this room. I would appreciate it if you could email me directly at kristi.allen@hilton.com so I may discover the details of room number and date to identify housekeeper and put through retraining imemdaitely. We really appreciate your time in contacting us. Thank you.