“Beautiful” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
New York City, New York
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

It was my first time visiting California and I stayed here for about a week with my boyfriend's family last summer. We had 3 rooms, and not one of us had anything negative to say upon check out. A tip I heard for traveling is to always look into boutique hotels for something a little more special. This hotel did not disappoint. It isn't really walking distance from downtown long beach, but as soon as you say 'by the Queen Mary' even taxi drivers in LA and San Diego knew where to take us. Also, it is such a joy to be able to walk over the bridge to long beach's dock area where there is plenty of shopping, restaurants, and boating activities.
The hotel itself has a wonderful seafood restaurant with a beautiful view that was perfect for our first night after checking in. All the rooms were a nice size and everything was always very clean. The grounds are gorgeous as it is obvious a lot of thought went into the decor. The concierge was always very helpful in helping us book taxis or day excursions, like our trip to Catalina Island. The pool area with the little cabanas is very beautiful and a wonderful 'California' feel. The only complaint is that there aren't that many pool chairs and when we did decide to stay at the hotel for the afternoon, it was very hard to get a spot to lie out. There were a lot of little kids running around and splashing but that's just a personal comment from someone who was traveling with no one under the age of 24. Overall, the staff and hotel management really goes the extra step not only in customer service but also in the upkeep of the decor and grounds of the hotel, and it certainly shows. I definitely recommend the hotel for families, couples, business or even if you need a weekend away alone.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for your your wonderful comments and so glad you enjoyed the Maya. We also added beach chairs on our new 6000 sq ft beach area we built next to the pool. This area still gets cocktail and food service but tends to be less frequented by the kids if you are looking to lay out and read a book, etc. Hope you come back to visit again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Thus is a wonderful little resort hotel near the Queen Mary. Clean well appointed rooms and great services including the pool, fire pits, paddle boarding, bikes and more.

The entire staff from bell hops to food service were very friendly and helpful.

The only place I will stay in King Beach from now on.

One tip is get a room with a bay view. There is no point in staying here without a water view.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Thanks, we love that you love it. Hope to see you again soon...
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

I love the fact that this hotel is totally unique. This hits you as soon as you enter the lobby through the huge unusual door and see the pink glass and walk on the pebbled floor. A lot of attention has gone into the decor here and it has paid off. The food in the restaurant is very good and the views from the terrace across the water are beautiful. There are numerous fire pits which you can sit around in the evening which is very pleasant. The hotel is showing some signs of age - the bathrooms have beautiful wallpaper which looked great 2 years ago but less so now. Overall though this is a hotel offering a lot of style and interest for the money.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the Queen Mary, specify this as some of the rooms face across the water toward...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thanks for the great comments and we are so happy you love it. I always say we are not for everyone as we are not your typical box style hotel and much more of a boutique resort style hotel. Some people love this style and some don't so we always like to see those who "get" it. Hope to see you back here again soon!
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

This hotel had a lovely waterside location and we had a fantastic view of Long Beach from our balcony. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and a good size with a very comfortable, huge bed and the bedding was also comfortable. The carpet and the wallpaper in the bathroom needed updating. Unfortunately, the air conditioning was very loud and even once we had turned ours off, we could still hear it from other rooms nearby - even with the windows and doors shut! Luckily, I think the other guests must have turned theirs off too due to the noise because after the first night, it was quieter. In spite of this, it was a lovely hotel and we even decided to stay on a few extra nights. The pool was lovely as were the 'beaches' with night-time fires.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony and a water view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thanks for the great comments...we are so glad you decided to stay longer once you got here. We are aware of the AC units and working on a long term solution. Most of the year, it is not an issue as our waterfront location allows a nice breeze and we are a perfect 75 and breezy but we are in the middle of a heat spell which reallly works the AC units. I hope on your next visit, we have the new units and you can enjoy it even more.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hotel Maya for a second time in two months and I left a bed pillow at the hotel. I did not realize it untill I got home. I called the hotel and spoke to the concierge. He found the pillow and mailed it back to me free of charge. I was so pleased I wanted to thank the hotel and let them know they have a wonderful conceirge who went out of his way to please his guests. We enjoyed the hotel very much and would highly recommend The Hotel Maya. Thanks again, it is the little things that make a difference!!!

Sincerely, Liz Cohen

Room Tip: The hotel has a fantastic location and view of the water.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CaboLiz
Thanks for the great comments and letting me know. I am happy you got your pillow back. I will definitely pass this on to the concierge staff. Come back and visit us again soon!
Huntington Beach, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

The service is great, everyone is came in contact with from the valet on up, were very polite and helpful.
The hotel itself seems to be recently decorated but still gives that "this building has been here for a long time" feel.
The elevator is small and slow, and the hallways are in need of some refreshing. I understand that being on the water front is harsh on exteriors so I will say it seems like they are making an attempt to keep up with mother nature, and are probably doing as well as any hotel in the area.
My room was on the 5th floor and has a nice vaulted ceiling that makes it feel a little extra roomy. The bathroom is a little small, but nicely decorated. I also like my little balcony from which I can enjoy my morning coffee.
You can't beat the location if you want to see the Queen Mary and/or visit the Pike. Although if your primary destination is the Pike then the Hyatt across the water may be a better bet. They do have a shuttle that goes back and forth to the Pike. You can also walk across the bridge, or pay about $12 for a cab.
We did not try the restaurant, or the bar but both looked nice and modern. This is a "nice " hotel, but as the title states, what you are really paying for is the water front location, that all rooms do not necessarily enjoy . If you come here with that in mind, you will have a nice stay.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MadioM
Thanks for the great comments as you perfectly summarized this hotel and our location. I love the higher floor rooms with the vaulted ceilings though many prefer the first floor rooms os they can walk out to the beach and grassy areas. We hope you come back again soon.
Denver, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

This was a complete disaster! Paid for a waterfront room and was not given one. When I went to ask for a different room the front desk manager (Fransico) said that he would give me a new room not because I had paid for a waterfront room, but because he was Hispanic and knew what it was like to be with Mexicans! Wow- yes I am caucasian and was traveling with my family who happens to be Mexican. I have never been disrespected like this in my life! I checked in and out of this hotel in less than two hours!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Marcus C
Thank you for your comments though Francisco who is hispanic is not our front office manager. I have already spoken with your girlfriend last week about the incident and reviewed our security cameras and the interaction. You may want to talk to her. Hotel Maya is a non discriminatory hotel and discrimination of any kind is against company policy.