“Best Concierge Service”

Ranked #4 of 55 Hotels in Long Beach
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Best Concierge Service”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hotel Maya for a second time in two months and I left a bed pillow at the hotel. I did not realize it untill I got home. I called the hotel and spoke to the concierge. He found the pillow and mailed it back to me free of charge. I was so pleased I wanted to thank the hotel and let them know they have a wonderful conceirge who went out of his way to please his guests. We enjoyed the hotel very much and would highly recommend The Hotel Maya. Thanks again, it is the little things that make a difference!!!

Sincerely, Liz Cohen

Room Tip: The hotel has a fantastic location and view of the water.
1 Thank CaboLiz
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thanks for the great comments and letting me know. I am happy you got your pillow back. I will definitely pass this on to the concierge staff. Come back and visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Korean first
Huntington Beach, CA
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

The service is great, everyone is came in contact with from the valet on up, were very polite and helpful.
The hotel itself seems to be recently decorated but still gives that "this building has been here for a long time" feel.
The elevator is small and slow, and the hallways are in need of some refreshing. I understand that being on the water front is harsh on exteriors so I will say it seems like they are making an attempt to keep up with mother nature, and are probably doing as well as any hotel in the area.
My room was on the 5th floor and has a nice vaulted ceiling that makes it feel a little extra roomy. The bathroom is a little small, but nicely decorated. I also like my little balcony from which I can enjoy my morning coffee.
You can't beat the location if you want to see the Queen Mary and/or visit the Pike. Although if your primary destination is the Pike then the Hyatt across the water may be a better bet. They do have a shuttle that goes back and forth to the Pike. You can also walk across the bridge, or pay about $12 for a cab.
We did not try the restaurant, or the bar but both looked nice and modern. This is a "nice " hotel, but as the title states, what you are really paying for is the water front location, that all rooms do not necessarily enjoy . If you come here with that in mind, you will have a nice stay.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank MadioM
Thanks for the great comments as you perfectly summarized this hotel and our location. I love the higher floor rooms with the vaulted ceilings though many prefer the first floor rooms os they can walk out to the beach and grassy areas. We hope you come back again soon.
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This was a complete disaster! Paid for a waterfront room and was not given one. When I went to ask for a different room the front desk manager (Fransico) said that he would give me a new room not because I had paid for a waterfront room, but because he was Hispanic and knew what it was like to be with Mexicans! Wow- yes I am caucasian and was traveling with my family who happens to be Mexican. I have never been disrespected like this in my life! I checked in and out of this hotel in less than two hours!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Marcus C
Thank you for your comments though Francisco who is hispanic is not our front office manager. I have already spoken with your girlfriend last week about the incident and reviewed our security cameras and the interaction. You may want to talk to her. Hotel Maya is a non discriminatory hotel and discrimination of any kind is against company policy.
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed at Maya hotel for three nights on a business trip.

I found the area rather nice - although there's not much to do right around the hotel, you'll need to drive or taxi do to something out of the hotel.
And, for me who works from northern L.A everyday, the location turned out not so convenient, adding miles of traffic to my commute.

The hotel itself is great looking, very nice atmosphere with the decoration. The view over the harbor at the restaurant is great.
My room was in building #2, on the 4th floor, with a balcony and a view on the inner patio.
Room was large, clean, everything worked fine, no complaint whatsoever about that.
Maybe a little noise from people in the patio at night, after they've had a few drinks...

The downside for me was about the food and service.
I ate at the restaurant one night, had food delivered to my room another one.
Nothing was really good, and I found everything pretty much overpriced. I'm not sure I was served fresh food / products cooked on premises.
Same applies for breakfast. $20 for the buffet + tax and service comes out way too much for what it is. So I only had breakfast there one morning.

In terms of service, I found the front desk staff nice and helpful generally speaking.
>service at the restaurant was bad; the waiter wasn't very nice, I got my main course two minutes after getting my starter (probably a sign that food ain't prepared on request, only microwaved), and got the check before my dessert.
>I requested a call to advise when my luggage was delivered to the hotel (had been lost by the airline), but never received a call.

Overall, the place is nice, if you are to stay in the area.
All the extras (breakfast, restaurant, etc) are not worth the extra money in my opinion. These should be either cheaper, or better.

With some improvements on food and service, it could be an really cool place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you thought the hotel was great but more concerned about fuego and your food comments. We have an amazing chef and get all kinds of great food reviews and pride ourselves on making everything fresh from our chips to our homemade salsas. I assure you that we do not microwave our food. i would like you to contact me directly at kristi.allen@hilton.com so I can further research your specific orders and address any issues there. I look ofrward to speaking with you.
Novato, California
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Better than The downtown Hilton, Westin, Queen Mary, Travelodge. Rhodeway Inn, Days Inn. I have stayed at those hotels and I thought this one was one of the BEST hotels I have ever stayed in. The room was very clean and smelled great. Nicely decorated and the view was beautiful. The pool is a little small, but good size for what long beach has to offer. Perfect hotel to chill out at.

Room Tip: Block 1 with city/water view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so happy you liked it. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!
Long Beach, California
Reviewed August 6, 2012

this may be obvious, but don't book the romance package. The hotel is fun and beautiful, but the romance package is a rip off and the included breakfast buffet they force you to have is disgusting. save the money, just book the room and bring your own romance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
With our waterfront views, private cabanas, fire pits and Fuego restaurant, we typically provide the most romantic spot in Long Beach. Please email me directly at kristi.allen@hilton.com so we can discuss what you didnt like about the romance package in detail. Thanks!
Woodside, California
Reviewed July 30, 2012

$17 Daily Parking fee left a bad taste in my mouth for an otherwise pretty nice hotel. Great beds, location, HD TV and HD programming. Nice views. When you agree on a price and then show up and they tell you there is a $17 daily parking fee you feel like they are just ripping you off. What are you supposed to do at that point? - leave? Parking should be included in the price. The hotels that sneak in parking, resort, and facility fees make me feel like the whole time I stay that they are slimy, greedy people trying to steal every little penny they can from me. That is not to mention the room service where there is a $3 room service charge, they include gratuity and then they put another line on the receipt for an additional tip. Three tips all on one meal. It is ridiculous. Pretty soon there will be a breathing and walking fee.
The air conditioner was also the oldest, loudest AC I have ever seen.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank happyflying2007
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed all but the parking fee. Unfortunately we have grappled with how to charge the parking fee and it is a no win situation. All of the hotels in Long Beach charge for parking on top of their room rates. If we add parking into our rate, than we will have the highest rate and fewer people will stay with us. Thus we leave it as an add on to be competitive in the market but we list it on every website and post it at the entrance to our lot. As we are next to the Queen Mary and very close to the cruise terminal, many people try to park in our lot and we often fill up. If we made it free, we would have no parking avaialble at all for guests. I too dislike parking charges however most cities like ours charge as parking is at a premium especially along the waterfront.