“Quiet, relaxing boutique hotel on the water”

Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed April 27, 2012

This wasn't a remodel -- this was a transformation. Lobby, bar and outside areas are gorgeous. There are beautiful fire pits overlooking the water for outside gatherings in the evening. The rooms have also been nicely redecorated and the beds are comfortable, but the bathrooms are small and could use more shelf space and hooks. The location on the water is really sublime, so ask for a room with a view -- most have balconies. But be prepared to get lost the first time you try to find it. There is signage -- look for them and follow the road that goes behind the Reef restaurant. And you will need a car -- there is nothing except The Reef restaurant in walking distance. I didn't eat in the hotel restaurant, but the banquet food was pretty good.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for building 4, away from the outdoor gathering areas.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Thanks for the great comments! If you enjoyed the hotel and fire pits the first time...way until you come back. We are adding two more fire pits and a 6000 sq foot beach in the next 2 months. It will be an even better place to relax with a book and a cocktail or with a group of friends. Come back this summer!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,770)

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We have stayed in many hotels in the Southern California area. This is the worst. The two main things we noticed about this hotel was: 1 - The staff was rude. They seem to think more highly of their hotel than they should, and it brings out the "snob" in them. We could give a lot more detail on this but will just leave it at that. 2 - The hotel, although refurbished, was still older and dirty in places within the room. It's the kind of hotel that were it in Mexico, you would probably say - Great hotel! But because it's in Southern California, one expects more in the way of cleanliness and service. I might add that we so didn't like it that we actually forfeited our money there and paid for another hotel in the area. In fairness, we will say that it sits right on the water and that's lovely...but not enough so to make us want to go back. And I will add - Try getting a room on the water - good luck!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CharlieandSue2012

Thank you for alerting us to the experience you had during your stay. Obviously you had a bad interaction with a staff member and we would like the opportunity to address it and correct it with that staff memeber so it does not continue. Your stay is not typical of those expressed in the reviews here and we want to find out what happened. Please contact us directly so we may get more details. Thank you.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

hotel is worn ( carpets and drapes ) but clean - staff was helpful and friendly - quiet for the most part with nice views - room smelled badly - had to buy air freshners and that only helped minimally.

Room Tip: ask front for available room options if you are not happy - all rooms laid out a bit differently and...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Thank you for your comments. Eve though we are only 2 years since our complete renovation, every now and then a room shows some wear and tear from heavy usage. With our resort style hotel opening up onto the waterfront and the pool area, guests often leave their patio doors open and track in dirt. We replace the about 10-15 curtains a month and are constantly deep cleaning the carpets and often replacing those that are worn. I will try to locate the room you stayed in to make sure those items are both replaced this month. We appreciate the heads up.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

I recently stayed at Hotel Maya while attending a business conference. At first I wondered where we were going, but after seeing my room and the view of the Queen Mary I was fine.
There is a restaurant and bar on sight. I can't say enough about their Taco Tuesday Happy Hour. The tacos are made with small fresh corn tortillas. The mahi mahi one is absolutely delicious. I had a steak one too and it was good, but the mahi mahi...mmmmm. I'd go back just for those.

The rooms were clean, tastefully decorated and the bed was comfortable. The hotel is easily accessible to downtown Long Beach. It is located just over a bridge with an excellent pedestrian walkway or take the free shuttle, the Passport. It picks you up in front of the hotel.
So, yes, I would stay again at the Maya. It was great and the staff was very cordial.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

So glad you enjoyed the hotel and Fuego's happy hour. Our waterfront patio and resturant is a big happpy hour spot for guest, locals and everyone who is in love with our fish tacos! Come back and spend some non work time so you can enjoy the 14 acres, our waterfront pool and the new beach club we are building!

Reviewed April 24, 2012

What a great location and wonderful hotel - we (Family of 3 - teenage daughter) stayed at the Maya at the end of March for 3 nights before leaving on a cruise on Carnival Splendor after spending a week in Anaheim.

The Free "Passport" bus just outside the hotel door made it a breeze to get into Long Beach City Centre and some of the Tourist areas as we did not have a car.

Great Restaurant with very attentive staff and wonderful food.

Room was great, we had a Balcony water view with 2 queen beds.

I found the Reception staff not that helpful and basically just told me to use their guest computer to find tours when we wanted to get to Santa Monica for a days outing. When I spoke to one of the bell/concierge guys (they weren't around when I first spoke to the reception), he was wonderful and helped us make arrangements for a car and driver (probably got a finder fee from the driver but that's OK). Reception could have told me to speak to one of them instead of directing me to the computer.

Tip - it is not easy to get to other places on the coast from Long Beach if you don't have your own transport, so unless you have your own car don't plan on using it as a base to visit other areas.

Free Shuttle to the terminal fromr the Hotel was great, but reception were once again not all that helpful, saying we could not make reservation as we did not book a park and stay package (we were international travelers with no car, why would we, I even offered to pay) I was told to come back in the morning of our departure and check if there was space available. When I did we were given seats in one about an hour after checkout time, which was OK by us. Whilst we were waiting the driver came to us and asked if we were waiting for the shuttle to the terminal, and when we said yes he said come on I will take you over now with another family. about 45 mins ahead of the scheduled time.

If your going on a Cruise form the Long Beach Terminal and need a short term stay this is the place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you utilized the complimentary passport shuttle to downtown and also ultimately our shuttle to the cruise terminal. We have a full tour and travel activities brochure center across from the front desk so I am not sure why they sent you to the computers but will certainly follow up immediately with them. We are glad you enjoyed Fuego and took some leisure time before you went on your cruise. Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed at the Maya on business--attending the TED Conference. As my cab drove across the water and into a weird cul-de-sac I was wary. But as soon as we arrived I realized I would like this location. THe view was great. I loved walking across the bridge into downtown Long Beach. There is also a shuttle ( I think free) . The hotel looks cool. It probably once was a sort of 70s brutalists motel but with some cool lighting design and inventive colors, it just looks modern. My room was quiet, clean, fun decor. Very comfortable for four days. The food was excellent as well. The room service quick and efficient. You will likely have breakfast there b/c there is no commerce around. THe breakfast buffet is pretty good standard fare but if you order from the menu you can enjoy something unusual. Renting bikes was easy. It was not warm enough to use the pool or outside area but it looked inviting. Again, you will have to get to downtown Long Beach, but I preferred this small detail oriented hotel to the big Westin. Budget in cab money though for late night as the shuttle stops running at a certain time.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room facing the water. The others face the parking lot.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Thank FromNYto?
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Glad you liked it! The passport shuttle is free and picks up every 15 minutes from our drive. During summer months we also have the aqua taxi that costs $1 and takes you directly across the water to Shoreline village with numerous restaurants and shops. Hope to see you back next year for TED conference.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

This hotel is the best value when they offer their pre-pay package. $119/night is totally worth it!

Room Tip: Use open table to book your breakfast at the hotel restaurant Fuego for points!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Thank you for the nice comments and we are thrilled you enjoyed the hotel. Dign up on our website for our newsletter and you can hear about special offers and packages avaialble only to our newsletter guests as well!