“MUCH MORE THEY WE EXPECTED” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #4 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
Asheville, North Carolina
“MUCH MORE THEY WE EXPECTED”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

We were looking for a hotel close to the cruise port in Long Beach and found a gem in the Hotel Maya. Our room looking at the retired Queen Mary and next to the port was wonderful. Large room, king bed, Large modern Bath. No microwave but we did have a refrigerator. Free Long Beach shuttle to town and restaurants made it very handy. This property was right on the water and well cared for. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for water view,beautiful sunrises
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank allab0utme
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Great to hear! Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you on your next trip.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Korean first
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

This is an odd recently remodeled place. We booked it because of a special and the fact that it was new. It still felt like an average motel experience. The rooms were clean, but there was some noise from a wedding party. I wonder if party rentals are a common feature of this property. There is a restaurant on site with a nice outdoor patio and view. The service was amateurish and the standard Mexican fare food not very good. It is not an intimate boutique hotel like one might suppose. It is off the beaten path, but you can rapidly reach downtown across a bridge. However, the roadways around the port are a nightmare of confusion and poor signage. Not bad, but we will look for something better next visit.

Room Tip: Nicer to face the water (north) than the parking lot (south). Parking lot fills up and you might hav...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Russ855
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2011
Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay. I was dissapointed to read your reviews of Fuego's food and service as we win many awards and get great praise for our restaurant. I would love you to reach out and discuss your expereince with me if you have a moment so I can see what possible went wrong and address. The Hotel Maya is Long Beach's only waterfront resort style hotel and is very unique in style and furnishings. We are not for everybody however we won hotel design of the year when we opened 2 years ago. I am glad you at least enjoyed the views!
South Jordan, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

My wife and I cruise out of Long Beach at least 1 time per year, we are in our mid thirties and typically stay in 4 star or better hotels when we travel and as a travel agent I tend to be pretty picky.
Last year we stayed at the Queen Mary and without going into a "Queen Mary Review" I'll just say that it was a disaster.
This year there were 5 of us traveling and staying in 2 rooms pre cruise, we decided on the Hotel Maya because of its proximity to the cruise terminal, there is a Long Beach red line stop on property for free rides to the mall, Shorline Village and the Aquarium and a free van ride to the cruise terminal.
We arrived on Thanksgiving evening to a very friendly and helpful front desk clerk, we got into our rooms and were very pleased with the view and cleanliness.
We ordered room service food for dinner that was very good and prompt then got a great nights sleep. In the morning all 5 of us went to breakfast at Fuego in the loby and had a great breakfast on the patio with an incredible view. Try the chorizo, it was great!
It was a great stay for about the same price as the Queen Mary with more going for it.
We will be back.

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank TravelagentDerek
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you for your very nice review and glad to hear you spent Thanksgiving with us and had a great stay. We certainly hope to see you back again soon. Happy Holidays!
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed here in November for our night before getting aboard the cruiseship to Mexico. We
didn't want to leave. We had a room on the ground floor, facing the harbor and the Queen
Mary. What a view and wonderful walkway. The rates were good for our group and the
service was friendly. The weather turned a little wet and windy, but still a great place to be.
The bathroom floor was even heated!!! We didn't use the food service, nor the WIFI, but the
shuttle to the ship was spot on!!!

Room Tip: Any room facing the harbor is great.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank betiboop
Well then come back and stay here on vacation next time! Thank you for your comments annd we are thrilled you enjoyed it. Hope to see you soon....
America
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

Hotel Maya is a DoubleTree hotel. It is a renovated hotel. They have done a nice job with it. Check-in was a breeze and yes we got our warm cookies on arrival. The King room we stayed in was nice, clean and spacious. The bed was comfortable as well. All the rooms lead to the outdoors which I think is nice but it does cause for a little more noise outside the door. In fact if anyone was outside our door we could hear them. Not very insulated in that sense but I think that is a bit hard to escape anyways at any hotel. The service was great and they were helpful when needed (but we generally aren't very needy). I liked the heated tile floor in the bathroom-a nice feature. I didn't like how they have the bathroom doors though. It is a sliding door that has a nice gap in it when closed. Not very private in that sense. They provided nice bath robes to use while there, a nice touch as well. We used the hot tub and enjoyed that a lot. It has a beautiful view of Long Beach Harbor. It was too cold to use the pool (which was long and narrowish). They had two small workout rooms which we didn't use but looked adequate. We did not eat at the restaurant either. Parking is $17/day which I think is ridiculous but for some reason hotels that are a little more expensive or think they are "elite" always charge for parking. We stayed at this hotel on a business trip otherwise I wouldn't have paid that much to stay there, but I did like the location of the hotel and it had pretty well kept grounds and a nice path to take a walk on with a beautiful view. Yes, I would recommend this hotel but for the more money conscious traveler this may not be the place to stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Thank you for your review. I am glad you got to use the hot tub and relax despite it being a business trip. In regards to the parking, it is true that every hotel in Long beach charges for parking and I know that can be a bit frustraing however it certainly keeps the non hotel guests out of hotel parking lots which is a plus for hotel safety. It also allows us to maintain a nice, well lit parking area.
Peoria, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Maya in Long Beach, on October 29, 2011, the night before our cruise. I had contacted Kristi Allen GM, prior to our arrival to ask about possibly checking in a couple hours early. Her response was, "they will do their best to accommodate us." We arrived around 1:45 PM and sure enough, they were able to assign a room. The front desk staff were very friendly & professional.

We had reserved a Park & Cruise package that included parking and shuttle service to and from the cruise port in Long Beach. We signed up for the shuttle during check-in.

We were in Bldg. 2 on the 4th floor overlooking the water. The view from the balcony was wonderful! The room was nice, clean and comfortable. The bed was comfortable as well. There was plenty of room for 2 people and luggage. The vaulted ceiling made the room seem even larger. The bathroom was a bit dated, but adequate. All in all We were happy with the accommodations.

Sunday morning we gathered our luggage and got on the shuttle. The driver was friendly and assisted loading and unloading. Upon our return, we called for the return shuttle and the same driver appeared with a group being dropped off. He again assisted with our luggage and we were back at the hotel and our vehicle in less than 15 minutes.

I would recommend this hotel and would stay again!

Room Tip: Try to get a 4th floor room (for the vaulted ceiling) with a water view. Very nice!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Durangler
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Thank you for your nice comments. I am thrilled we were able to get you in early per your request and you were able to enjoy your room and view. On your next cruise, make sure you stay longer with us so you can enjoy the pool and fuego as well. Happy Holidays!
Nottinghamshire England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

Hotel had great staff and views over the water were stunning... Rooms were clean and stocked with coffee, but could do with teas and milks for Europeans like myself......... rooms were sometimes cleaned late but were always nice in the end
HOWEVER......... the pool area........ VERY noisy from traffic anyway, but made impossible on this stay to relax for myself at all over three days - I was in constant discomfort being surrounded whilst in bathing suit and TRYING to relax and enjoy my time off..... by workmen, and noisy sawing and drilling. Up to seven at one day for about four hours!!!!!! It absolutely ruined my stay...... had to virtually beg for it to stop after hours of it on two occasions, men staring over at me, walking past, one sitting relaxing opposite loitering, hoovering the grass twice over two days. I felt vulnerable, exposed and disturbed, Difficult to switch off and I needed to.. as it was the birthday anniversary of my deceased son while there. The restaurant staff tried to comfort me as it distressed me so much I ended up in tears of frustration and dissapointment.... they were lovely. The drapes around the pool beds by the way are ot lovely white either - they are a dingy drab browny red!!! they look dirty, and no mattresses are put out for the guests - not sure why this is not done. Apart from those issues it should have been a lovely stay but although the staff are mostly lovely folk, and the hotel is unique and pretty - I came away unhappy with my stay being made less than relaxing or pleasant by the workmen, and i think the hotel mangement should have tried to do something more than they did.The restaurant staff were exemplary and I got cuddles and coffee & TLC when it made me cry.... x

Room Tip: water view...... quieter and sunshine in the early part of the day
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. I know exactly who you are as the staff was very concerned for your well-being during what was obviously a difficult emotional time for you. I am so sorry for your loss and also that you did not have a more relaxing stay with us. We are in the middle of a fire system upgrade which we have to get done by year's end. Safety is our number one priority and we will not compromise our guest's safety. The building next to the pool was out of service for this upgrade at the time of your stay. Due to the cold weather and time of year, we anticipated this being the best time to do the upgrade. As an alternative we offered all guests the use of the waterfront pool next door at the Residence Inn if they were uncomfortable with the noise aat the pool. Several took us up on it however I understand you chose not to and I certainly understand. I assure you that this does not occur all the time and again is related to a one time fire system upgrade. I do hope your travels bring you back to Long beach so you may enjoy the pool the way the majority of our guests year round are able to. Please contact my office directly so that we may assist you in making your stay a more enjoyable one.