“Nice Hotel - Convenient to Carnival Cruise Terminal”

Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #4 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
Peoria, Arizona
“Nice Hotel - Convenient to Carnival Cruise Terminal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Maya in Long Beach, on October 29, 2011, the night before our cruise. I had contacted Kristi Allen GM, prior to our arrival to ask about possibly checking in a couple hours early. Her response was, "they will do their best to accommodate us." We arrived around 1:45 PM and sure enough, they were able to assign a room. The front desk staff were very friendly & professional.

We had reserved a Park & Cruise package that included parking and shuttle service to and from the cruise port in Long Beach. We signed up for the shuttle during check-in.

We were in Bldg. 2 on the 4th floor overlooking the water. The view from the balcony was wonderful! The room was nice, clean and comfortable. The bed was comfortable as well. There was plenty of room for 2 people and luggage. The vaulted ceiling made the room seem even larger. The bathroom was a bit dated, but adequate. All in all We were happy with the accommodations.

Sunday morning we gathered our luggage and got on the shuttle. The driver was friendly and assisted loading and unloading. Upon our return, we called for the return shuttle and the same driver appeared with a group being dropped off. He again assisted with our luggage and we were back at the hotel and our vehicle in less than 15 minutes.

I would recommend this hotel and would stay again!

Room Tip: Try to get a 4th floor room (for the vaulted ceiling) with a water view. Very nice!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Durangler
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Thank you for your nice comments. I am thrilled we were able to get you in early per your request and you were able to enjoy your room and view. On your next cruise, make sure you stay longer with us so you can enjoy the pool and fuego as well. Happy Holidays!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Korean first
Nottinghamshire England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

Hotel had great staff and views over the water were stunning... Rooms were clean and stocked with coffee, but could do with teas and milks for Europeans like myself......... rooms were sometimes cleaned late but were always nice in the end
HOWEVER......... the pool area........ VERY noisy from traffic anyway, but made impossible on this stay to relax for myself at all over three days - I was in constant discomfort being surrounded whilst in bathing suit and TRYING to relax and enjoy my time off..... by workmen, and noisy sawing and drilling. Up to seven at one day for about four hours!!!!!! It absolutely ruined my stay...... had to virtually beg for it to stop after hours of it on two occasions, men staring over at me, walking past, one sitting relaxing opposite loitering, hoovering the grass twice over two days. I felt vulnerable, exposed and disturbed, Difficult to switch off and I needed to.. as it was the birthday anniversary of my deceased son while there. The restaurant staff tried to comfort me as it distressed me so much I ended up in tears of frustration and dissapointment.... they were lovely. The drapes around the pool beds by the way are ot lovely white either - they are a dingy drab browny red!!! they look dirty, and no mattresses are put out for the guests - not sure why this is not done. Apart from those issues it should have been a lovely stay but although the staff are mostly lovely folk, and the hotel is unique and pretty - I came away unhappy with my stay being made less than relaxing or pleasant by the workmen, and i think the hotel mangement should have tried to do something more than they did.The restaurant staff were exemplary and I got cuddles and coffee & TLC when it made me cry.... x

Room Tip: water view...... quieter and sunshine in the early part of the day
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. I know exactly who you are as the staff was very concerned for your well-being during what was obviously a difficult emotional time for you. I am so sorry for your loss and also that you did not have a more relaxing stay with us. We are in the middle of a fire system upgrade which we have to get done by year's end. Safety is our number one priority and we will not compromise our guest's safety. The building next to the pool was out of service for this upgrade at the time of your stay. Due to the cold weather and time of year, we anticipated this being the best time to do the upgrade. As an alternative we offered all guests the use of the waterfront pool next door at the Residence Inn if they were uncomfortable with the noise aat the pool. Several took us up on it however I understand you chose not to and I certainly understand. I assure you that this does not occur all the time and again is related to a one time fire system upgrade. I do hope your travels bring you back to Long beach so you may enjoy the pool the way the majority of our guests year round are able to. Please contact my office directly so that we may assist you in making your stay a more enjoyable one.
West Drayton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

Stayed here as a pre-cruise stop off.

Having noticed the hotel during a stay on the Queen Mary several years ago was keen to give the hotel a go. Unfortunately did not live up to expectations.

The Good:
Staff were friendly and helpful.
Location for the Carnival Cruise terminal great
Warm cookies and In room drinks maker were good.
Transport links great, and transport to cruise most welcome
Great view of the Queen Mary and bay area

The Bad:
Rooms and hallways dated and dimly lit
Walls too thin to the extent that every conversation in the next room could be heard. To be fair ear plugs had been provided.
Room service speed was good, but food was not up to par as it was over salted and not up to the standard to match the prices paid.
Free WIFI was very poor, with intermittant signals and poor strength.

Its a shame a few things let the hotel down which you would not expect for the price paid.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I was glad to see you enjoyed the staff and grounds during your stay with us. Thank you as well for pointing out some areas of opportunity for us to address. We are aware of the internet issues and are in the middle of up-grading to the Hilton Stay connected program. This should be completed around the end of the year. I will review your other concerns with my team and make sure we follow up on them. You, our guests are why we are here. Thank you for staying with us.
Fair Oaks, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

Can't beat the views from this unusually designed property. Rooms are clean and mine offered a balcony overlooking Long Beach Harbor. Very relaxing milieu.

Service was top notch, responsive. Restaurant and bar on premises is very hip environment though I only ate breakfast (very good). Queen Mary is in walking distance.

Only drawback is there are no shops in walking distance, at least to speak of. Convenience stores are out of reasonable walking distance (I'm not one for buying snacks, etc. from hotel gift shop). I'd recommend bringing what you want to eat or drink in your room and enjoy the stay!

Room Tip: Ask for water/harbor view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2011
Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed the architecture....Though the complimentary city passport shuttle stops at the Maya every 15 minutes, you are correct, there is nothing within walking distance in regards to a 7-11 or snack store. We do have a fully stocked gift shop and lower than usual hotel gift shop prices but not everyone likes the selection. Luckily every room has a refridgerator so many do stop and fill up on their own snacks and beverages. Thanks for the heads up for other guests...it may save them a trip to the store. We hope to see you back again soon!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

This is a great boutique-feel hotel in Long Beach. I expected crazy hustle and bustle since it's in an area with a very busy port but it turned out to be a relaxing oasis! I got to the hotel super early and way before the 3PM check-in time but there was so plenty to do to keep myself occupied. It was a big surprise that the Queen Mary was a short walk away, so I spent some time over there while waiting for the room to be ready.

The room was definitely worth the wait. I got a balcony room overlooking the gorgeous pool and it was lovely. There were people sun-bathing and using the jacuzzi (a bit cold that day for the pool). Room service was prompt and delicious and I was really surprised by the quality of the meal.

I also love the new Citron line Doubletree has started carrying, it's so refreshing!

All in all this is a great property and props to Krystin (I hope I spelled that right) at the Front Desk who was very friendly and caring. Keep up the good work and I hope to be back soon!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Great! I am so happy to see someone enjoying the Maya exactly how we set it ip...a lovely oasis in the middle of Long beach where you can have a cocktail by the pool , relax on your balcony or take in the nearby attractions like the Queen Mary and Aquarium. come back and visit again soon!
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

My daughter is getting married in LB in June and we are looking for a block of rooms for some guests. I started reading the reviews and what impressed me more than anything was the fact that Kristi Allen, the General Manager replies to all the reviews! WOW! Never seen that before! We will definitely be inquiring here rather than the Westin, Hilton, etc.

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for your very kind words...Our guests are the reason we are here and making them happy and satisfied is my job and the job of my team. We look forward to possibly working with you on this wedding!
Ridgefield, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

Even after a long day of traveling across the country, the moment I stepped into my room, I felt refreshed. Can it be the warm cookie, the hard wood floors, the large bathrooms, the luxurious linens, the sleek room look and feel? It's always a pleasure staying here.

The outside of the hotel looks kind of strange, but the inside is great. Also, the restaurant onsite is delicious!

Room Tip: At first I was bummed that I didn't have a balcony, but my coworker that had a balcony didn'...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Thank you for your great comments. That is exactly how we want our guests to feel when they arrive at our hotel. We want to wash away the hassles of traveling and welcome you to our little oasis here at Hotel Maya. Great to hear we succeeded! Please come back and visit us soon.