“What a birthday !”

and up
Catalina Express Round-Trip Ferry Service: Long Beach or San Pedro to Avalon
Ranked #2 of 84 things to do in Long Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Catalina Island is just an hour away aboard our fast and sleek boats out of Long Beach, San Pedro and Dana Point. We are committed to offering the most advanced, state-of-the-art watercraft available while maintaining a high level of dedication to safety, customer satisfaction, and quality of service. Today, the fleet consists of 8 high-speed vessels. More than one million passengers set sail to Catalina Island each year on board Catalina Express, and with year round service and up to 30 departures daily, you can easily join them.
Irvine, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“What a birthday !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Catalina Express gives out free pass to you on your birthday if you pre-register. Not knowing what i wanted to do on my birthday ,I opted to try this. Took the express out of San Pedro and it was awesome ride to Catalina. We spent the day enjoying the sites, Had a couple cocktails but that wasnt how I wanted to spend my entire day. We decided to rent a couple of jet skis and enjoy the water. We boarded the water taxi and went out to the barge that the jet skis were docked.
It was getting close to evening so we decided to use the wetsuits. It was a good decision. The jet skis were top notch and fast. The water was great but the highlight of the whole day was cruising with about 20-25 dolphins that came thru the area..I had done alot of wave jumping so I bruised up three toes but besides that My birthday we an awesome experience.

Visited July 2012

Santa Ana, California, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“My birthday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Great trip, smooth ride, very nice staff. Explained to us about stuff to do and where to go on the island. Would definiately go again.
Go to the Lobster Trap for lunch. Great food and great places. A must to eat here if you are in Catalina.

Visited April 2013
Long Beach, California
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“quick”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

I love how quick and easy this ride is...used to take hours...
In my opinion, I feel this is overpriced and, unless you fly or have (or know someone who has ) a boat, they have you... A bright spot is that if you register with them, you are free on your birthday.

Visited December 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun way to get to the island”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Trip was awesome. A pod of dolphins followed our oat and gave us a show. Two groups of middle aged women were there that had brought their own booze, so were drunk and screamed every time a dolphin jumped. It was definitely an entertaining experience.

The weather was perfect that morning. Only a little breezy so we rode up top and enjoyed the view. I was able to leave two of my bags downstairs so i only had my purse and i felt they were safe. The return trip was a breeze

The only issue we had was that Catalina Express wouldn't honor our AAA coupon because it had an expired date; however, AAA had told us beforehand that it would be fine. Not good customer service there - I guess Catalina Express was worried about not getting reimbursed but they could have been more accommodating.

Visited March 2013
los angeles
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 150 helpful votes
“Fun day trip or short weekender”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I think the cost has gone up a lot over the last few years, we paid $85 for a return ticket and they refused to give the AAA discount...you must print the coupon online - very unevironmental.

Don't waste your money on VIP, there is great views off the back of the boat sitting in the sunshine, and you can walk to the bar yourself and get a drink. We had to do VIP on the way home cause the regular seating was sold out.....I wouldn't do it again unless I had too.

Book in advance for the weekends, especially in the summer, they do sell out in advance.

Avalon is a fun town to explore, a day is enough, but it's more fun to relax and spend a night if you can find a place that will rent (most places are 2 night minimums which makes it a very expensive weekend getaway).

Visited April 2013