“Eh...”

Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in Long Beach
New York, NY
“Eh...”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

If not for the staff's efforts to make the hotel a nice place to stay, I would have given the Westin Long Beach 2 stars instead of 3.

First, the "good": all of the staff I interacted with - front desk, bellboy, valet, housekeeping, manager - were excellent. They were all super helpful and friendly. The location is also hard to beat - it's a quick walk to the beaches and the "downtown" bars and restaurants. Parking at the hotel is really easy - both self park and valet were quick and painless (if not particularly cheap). The hotel gym and pool are pretty good for this type of hotel.

Now the "nothing special": The rooms (I saw 3, mine, my parents and a friend's) are pretty tired. Nothing worn out, but the furniture and carpet could have used some upgrades or updating. Even the famous Westin bed wasn't as luxurious as it usually is.

The bad: two things really stuck out (1) the walls are really thin, we could hear all kinds of activity in the hall, at one point I thought that people must have been standing outside our room but when I looked they were down the hall. I could hear housekeeping all morning - they weren't particularly loud, but the sound + thin walls made it way more noticeable than it should be. (2) there is almost nothing I hate more than hotels that charge for internet in the rooms. The infrastructure is in place and the service can't be that expensive, but they still feel the need to charge something like $18/day for one device or $25/day for unlimited devices. In today's day and age, that kind of charge is ridiculous. I would rather have them charge a couple $$ extra for the room.

It may seem petty, but I wouldn't stay here again as long as they're charging for internet access in the rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Inspectorj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fort Lee, New Jersey
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel has lots going for it. Great location, comfortable rooms, very good service. We stayed there 2 x last year and enjoyed the hotel both times. It's within walking distance of many restaurants and is near to lots of attractions yet it didn't feel like it was in the middle of a city. If you are a Starwoods member you can get perks. Ask about the 'birthday club'. Excellent value if you can score a room under that program.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous business trips. The hotel has not changed in years and could use a good upgrading. Room furniture (with the exception of the soft mattresses) is dated and tired. Dirty food dishes sat in the hall for days, yes days...

The service at the downstairs bar was abysmal. Took forever to get the bar tenders attention, and when he spilled half my drink, just threw what remained in a shaker, and added some more mix.

Of all hotels in the area, this may be one of the tops, but the bar is low.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
San Pedro, CA
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have stayed here a few times and each stay is reasonably consistent. Rooms are nice, Westin bed comfortable, and service efficient and friendly. My couple of experiences in the hotel restaurant have left a lot to be desired. Since you are right on Ocean Blvd, there are lots of other, better places to eat.

Valet parking is $21 and self-park a few dollars less. No convenient street parking.

Front desk staff is always friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Head down to the Long Beach Cafe for breakfast. Best deal in town, and huge portions!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ChiefDennis
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We checked into the Westin after having checked out of a horrible hotel which we hadn't even been in for 10 minutes. We had an advantage over other walk-in guests because we booked with Hotwire for about $90 a night (with tax). The staff was very helpful and did not take long to check us in (it was around 4:30 pm).

I was pleased that the room we got was on the highest floor (16 if I remember correctly). We had high ceiling and big windows (which is nice for taller people like us). Our room was very clean and welcoming. The beds were full I believe which were a little on the small side but none the less very comfortable. The pillows were nice and fluffy as well. The bathroom had a nice bright light which was great for shaving (for my husband) and applying make-up (for myself). Every day that we would return to our room from a busy day, our room was clean. We also had a mini fridge in our room which made it nice for our 2 year old's sippy cup.

If I had to sum up the hotel this is what it would come down to:

Pros: Modern room, clean, friendly staff, good location (1 block from the ocean), great night sleep.

Cons: $18 P2 level parking per night, & trash needed to be taken out by the p2 elevator to the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 5280vhc
Long Beach, California
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Shout out to Yenise, Brian and Jessie.. for GREAT SERVICE...
Excellent service at one of my favorite hotels. I recommend you to be a starwood member so you end up on the starwood preferred guest level. Excellent breakfast, great location, great views from the room. Fabulous hotel all around..

Room Tip: be a starwood preferred guest..
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I was here on business and the service was great as well as the food, at the "Grill" and room service. The room was clean but maybe not top 4 star.
The concierge , Carlos, new his stuff, very helpful and professional.
I would recommend the Westin in Long Beach.

• Stayed March 2013