“TV service poor again!”

Ranked #8 of 57 Hotels in Long Beach
Long Beach, California
“TV service poor again!”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed at the Westin because of a Name Your Own Price deal I got again on Priceline. Rooms are always lovely. However, the tv and movie service went out again. This is the second time that we have stayed that right in the middle of a paid for movie the screen freezes. On this particular occasion it was in the last 15 seconds or so of "Skyfall" James Bond movie. The picture froze and it was 11:30 p.m. When I phoned the front desk they offered to send a repair man to our room and comp the movie. I really didn't want a repair man in our room that late so we just went to sleep. Overall I think that this hotel is very pretty, the staff are always accomodating and friendly but the tv service really sucks. At least that has been the rule for us.
The hotel is conveniently located, if you self park the cost is $17 which is comparable to most downtown city parking fees. My one and only other complaint is that the hotel elevator from the parking garage to the hotel was really gross. The carpet is extremely worn and the elevator is really dirty. When you get off this elevator and enter this beautiful hotel its really a drastic difference. You would think that they would want a better first impression. After all most if not all of the guests would enter from the parking garage.

Room Tip: Either the city or ocean side is great!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Clovis, CA
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed for just one night for a trade show we attended. The hotel is classy & beautiful. Not only was the hotel very nice, but the staff was exceptional as well. The location is great! We were able to walk to The Pike in the evening and had a great meal and saw a movie. We were at the trade show in just a few minutes which is almost just across the street. We will certainly stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here one night post cruise. It's in a great location. The hotel is tired in a few spots, but the accommodations are very good overall. The staff at the front desk and bellman's desk were amazing. So helpful and accommodating. The room was very nice, but the bed made the stay wonderful. What an incredible bed. We enjoyed our stay and will probably be back when needing another post cruise night in Long Beach.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bavaria
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Actually Westin is one of the best hotels for business trip in Long Beach. Nice hotel, nice view from the room, close to everything - shopping, dining, jogging etc... Staff is very friendly, facility is very good (incl. sneaker rental service for jogger), and the Grill restaurant is just great - (but sometime awful empty)

The only thing bothered me was the high price I have to pay (actually my company has to pay). We pay at least 40$ more for the room (comparing to the price of the room next door).

I know it just because they put the final bill of the next room "wrongly" under my door!!!

Room Tip: Higher floor - room with port view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Osmin, the Bellman was awsome! very attentive and the service was above standard. will definitely return.the location was convenient to all the local. will tell my friends about it. the food and room service was also delicious.

• Stayed January 2013
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed January 13, 2013

A few years ago we had stayed at the St. Regis on Kauai. So, we thought, SPG family of hotel in Long Beach would be at least decent. First red flag was the high price. I looked past this because of the later reservation for a popular weekend. Second was the cockroach on our vanity in the morning after the first night. My move out of the room to an upgraded suite with free breakfast vouchers was given as expected. Third, I had to ask three times to have our roll out bed turned down and ready for our kids to sleep on. The wireless phone in the room didn't work when I went to call the front desk. When I moved rooms I told the bell staff to make sure the fridge with all my items inside made it to my next room. Only to find that they brought the fridge but, threw out all our food! To be fair, if I did have a problem, the staff did try to fix the problem. But, I've never had this many problems at once with one stay. Too many problems to not write a bad review about. I will not be using this hotel again.

Room Tip: We moved to the highest floor to increase the chances of not coming in contact with bugs...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank TeeOjoe
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed at the Westin for 8 nights in December for a business trip. The hotel is a 2 minute walk from Pine Ave where some decent restaurants are located. The hotel is priced at a reasonable level and for the accommodation provided is very good value. The rooms are nice (mine with a view towards the mountains) and the bed is very comfortable. The gym which I used every day was adequate to get a good aerobic and weight session in. There is enough equipment for 2-3 people to be in there at one time.
The restaurant was ok….. breakfast was just average with there not being a huge range on the menu. There are better restaurant options in the area to be honest.
This was my 3rd trip to Long Beach and so far this hotel has been the best by far. I will stay here again.
Overall a good experience and would return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business